Aussie heading to the US in November - Very nervous.

Hey all,

I've got my HT booked in this Nov, with a really reputable doc in the US.

I'm flying from Melbourne, as there's not much down here.

The whole process is so daunting. "I mean, am I really flying 20+ hours to have an operation, then coming home?" - are the thoughts in my head.

Not to mention a country I've never been to.

Does anyone have any general advice for how long I should stay for, things to keep in mind, and just general thoughts? Anything specific I should take?

Does anyone have any stories of taking a similar trip? 

Sorry for sounding vague and confused, the whole process just seems like a mountain for some reason.

Thanks fam.

• Like 2

Don't. Worry.

Yes, it's a long flight. But you'll be picked up, driven to your hotel and clinic and generally taken care of. Think of the thousands of other men who've taken this journey before. Celebrities and average joes like us alike. Grab a good -long- book, some music that you like and treat it like an adventure.

And always, above all, remember this :

In order to get something that you've never had before, you need to do something that you've never done before.

Simple as this. Embrace it. It takes guts and balls of steel to research, make money and go through with hair restoration, that's why it's not as common as it should be. You just gotta show up sober and that's it. You can do it. 

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor

Hey @HelpfulFriend I'm an Aussie too and I've been to the States. Don't stress. Where are you arriving? LAX? JFK? Just make sure you take a good travel neck pillow for the flight and for sleeping post op. Bring a button up shirt for surgery so you are not pulling a shirt over your head. Ask your surgeon lots of questions (including your flight tips). I would recommend staying at least a week for post op support plus the fact you are traveling so far. Are there things to see in the city you are having surgery in? Wishing you all the best!

Helpfulfriend,

For what it’s worth, I did essentially the same thing albeit maybe not as far and maybe not as foreign.  But I did travel to Canada from the US and overall it was a 13 hour flight.  I still needed a passport and I still had no idea where I was going.   I had no transportation other than cabs.

All in all it was one of the best experiences of my life, mainly because I restored a full looking head of hair.   But it was also a very nice place to visit amd I had some fun while I was there   

Personally I only stayed two nights.  I got there early the day prior to the procedure and did some exploring.  I stayed the night and got up early for my procedure.  I went back to the hotel to relax then stayed the night.  In the morning, I went into the clinic for a quick wash and checkup and then went immediately to the airport.

Now, you could stay longer if you don’t want to deal with such a long flight the day after the procedure and give your scalp a chance to heal.  But I was able to do a 13 hour flight after a large FUT/strip procedure so I imagine if you’re going FUE it would be a bit more comfortable.

Either way I suggest getting one of those travel/neck pillows for the flight.  It will also help you sleep at night in a way that will keep your grafts from rubbing against the pillow.

But unless your surgeon suggests it, if you are planning to stay longer, you may want to do so before your procedure so you have a chance to explore the area and have some fun   Staying after just means more hotel time and very little to do.  You could explore after your procedure but it’s usually better to rest for a couple of days at least    

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Good on you for not sticking to Australia. The States have a few elite doctors and it looks like cost wasn’t the primary factor. I no longer live in the states but had my procedure there recently for context. 

On the bright side — and I say this as someone who is very familiar and loves Turkey (more than the states) — you speak the same language, healthcare is more regulated, and if the doctor is reputable you’re in great hands. Bring a bunch of button down shirts (so you don’t panic if a t shirt touches your new grafts), bring a neck pillow, pick up all the medication beforehand if you can, grab some protein bars and other food so you don’t need to go out (or download Uber Eats) for the first few days. I think staying around 5 days is a healthy number of days. The longer the better and more chance to heal with less risk of bumping your head. 

Try to see the city and enjoy! 

• Like 2

• Administrators

Where will you be staying? Weather is diverse in the US. For example, LA has moderate winters with temperatures that never go below 10 celsius. November is the end of fall near winter here, I believe it’s the beginning of summer in Australia. Depending on the state you enter, you may need to be prepared for snow and extreme cold conditions, especially if it’s in a place like Chicago. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 2:05 AM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Where will you be staying? Weather is diverse in the US. For example, LA has moderate winters with temperatures that never go below 10 celsius. November is the end of fall near winter here, I believe it’s the beginning of summer in Australia. Depending on the state you enter, you may need to be prepared for snow and extreme cold conditions, especially if it’s in a place like Chicago. 

On 8/4/2022 at 9:37 PM, Gatsby said:

Hey @HelpfulFriend I'm an Aussie too and I've been to the States. Don't stress. Where are you arriving? LAX? JFK? Just make sure you take a good travel neck pillow for the flight and for sleeping post op. Bring a button up shirt for surgery so you are not pulling a shirt over your head. Ask your surgeon lots of questions (including your flight tips). I would recommend staying at least a week for post op support plus the fact you are traveling so far. Are there things to see in the city you are having surgery in? Wishing you all the best!

Hey everyone, thanks for the solid advice. I really appreciate it.

Melvin and Gatsby, I'm actually going to Chicago. So I gather it will be extremely cold around November?

I believe there are a couple of hotels within walking distance of the clinic, which is a plus. I honestly don't plan on doing much other than the surgery, relaxing, and then leaving.

Depending on what part of the US it is, bring proper clothing if cold.

For such long flights, personally, I’d stay at least 4-5 days post surgery.  

Consider it an adventure.  You get to travel, make the most of it.  Look at it positively.

• Like 1

Check out my journey here:

On 8/4/2022 at 11:41 AM, HelpfulFriend said:

Hey all,

I've got my HT booked in this Nov, with a really reputable doc in the US.

I'm flying from Melbourne, as there's not much down here.

The whole process is so daunting. "I mean, am I really flying 20+ hours to have an operation, then coming home?" - are the thoughts in my head.

Not to mention a country I've never been to.

Does anyone have any general advice for how long I should stay for, things to keep in mind, and just general thoughts? Anything specific I should take?

Does anyone have any stories of taking a similar trip? 

Sorry for sounding vague and confused, the whole process just seems like a mountain for some reason.

Thanks fam.

Nice city Melbourne.  I was there just over 10 years ago.  A friend lives off Chapel Street..

Well I've made that trip 3 times but from the UK, so only 6-7 hours flight.  Actually it's quite nice going somewhere where there's not a chance of bumping into anyone you know.

Ubers are really easy to get and you can find anything you need in Walmart.  There's nearly always a Walmart within 15 minutes drive regardless of where you are in the US.

20 hours is quite a flight time.  I'd email Dr K his opinion on how long to stay.  It depends on how big a surgery, whether it's FUT/FUE etc.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Oh yeah and the last time I went (January 2020) is was cold and snowed so bad my return flight was delayed 24 hours.  We were circling the runway for 3 hours until they gave up at 11pm.

BA paid for a hotel + uber costs etc.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day