Why do H&W suggest quitting Minoxidil?

I had a consult with them and the rep told me Dr. Hasson recommends QUITTING Minoxidil. Other hair restoration surgeons recommended staying on Minoxidil! 

Dr. Hasson is very much going against the grain with this opinion. Minoxidil regrew some of my hair, why would he suggest that people quit using it? 

I searched on this forum and saw that others were given the same recommendation, but I see no real explanation for this recommendation. What is it?

This topic came up in a thread earlier today. Here is my quote on that thread that has relevance to your question

20 hours ago, mister_25 said:

My doctor wants me to stop minoxidil all together or at the very least 6 weeks before and thinks that minoxidil is not worth the effort. Saying that continued usage of minoxidil can make hair transplantation difficult in the long run with collagen damage, destabilization of the tissue and other things like premature facial aging and excess bleeding.

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

• Administrators

He recommends stopping minoxidil because he feels the quality of the scalp is deteriorated from minoxidil. I do believe it’s anecdotal to what he sees in his practice. Conventional wisdom is to stop minoxidil for 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks after. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, deeznuts said:

I think he mentioned something about collagen as well. i.e. Minoxidil causing premature aging

I think I remember seeing a study like this, but it was only in vitro and not an actual living person. 

I believe in the video he did with Melvin they did a blind test where Dr. Hasson, Dr. Wong, and the techs would look at grafts as well that skin from FUT procedure. All of them could easily tell who was using minoxidil and who was not just from looking at skin and grafts. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Dr Hasson believes that collagen is reduced in the scalp by minoxidil use. Now I'm not going to disagree with Dr Hasson's immense experience but their are many other excellent surgeons who would recommend minoxidil. Also as @Melvin- Moderator has stated minoxidil should be ceased prior to and immediately post op surgery for a couple of weeks. 

40 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Dr Hasson believes that collagen is reduced in the scalp by minoxidil use. Now I'm not going to disagree with Dr Hasson's immense experience but their are many other excellent surgeons who would recommend minoxidil. Also as @Melvin- Moderator has stated minoxidil should be ceased prior to and immediately post op surgery for a couple of weeks. 

Agreed and Konior also supports oral and topical Minoxidil as well as many other top HT surgeons. I also take collagen preventatively which is great for general health regardless. 

Edited by sunsurfhair

10 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

He recommends stopping minoxidil because he feels the quality of the scalp is deteriorated from minoxidil. I do believe it’s anecdotal to what he sees in his practice. Conventional wisdom is to stop minoxidil for 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks after. 

Is it the min itself or the carriers that are used? I think some use some sort of alcohol, and I think that can cause crosslinking 

7 hours ago, BaldBobby said:

Is it also because it makes the scalp bleed more during HT which could prolong the surgery and interfere with implantation? 

In addition to thinning of the blood, it can also potentially reduce the blood from clotting properly to hold the grafts in place.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY