Do DHT Meds Work for Facial and Body Hair Too?

• Administrators
3 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Are DHT blockers just as effective in preventing hair loss for hair located everywhere on your body, or are they only effective for scalp hair for some reason?

Will Dutasteride help prevent my beard and eyebrows from thinning?

Facial hair thrives on DHT, so, Dutasteride could theoretically cause body hair thinning. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The thinning that happens in eyebrows seems to be related to age as opposed to hormones. 

Beards usually dont seem to thin. They just "grow" faster or slower based on androgens. Chest hair is similar to beard. Once hairy always hairy. 

10 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Are DHT blockers just as effective in preventing hair loss for hair located everywhere on your body, or are they only effective for scalp hair for some reason?

Will Dutasteride help prevent my beard and eyebrows from thinning?

I definitely saw that my beard grew slower when I started taking fin (0,5 mg/day) (which insn't as I needed to go to the barber every 2 weeks, no every 3 weeks is sufficient)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

I lost most my hairs on my arms n legs .. they were thin before finasteride .. n with finasteride it’s almost invisible .. but still hair on my head n lower area . :) 

I'm hoping with facial/body hair - if anything it will grow slower but not actually thing. 

This just sucks because I think - without having any more knowledge - anyone would naturally assume DHT meds protect facial/body hair too. Can't believe the reverse is true. 

FWIW I've been on meds for 5 years and haven't noticed any facial/body hair loss from it

11 minutes ago, HAIRLOSS IS MY LIFE said:

The GOAT is in da house 

Do you think I'm Kevin Mann because I linked one of his videos, or are you theee one and only????

All I know is finasteride has been approved on middle earth for 1000s of years and Gandalf hasn't shed one hair on his beard yet! :D

Okay, so as a person who's probably one of the few on the board who's mentioned at least to my recollection they take Dutasteride i'll throw my experience into the mix. 

I've been on Dutasteride for over 12 months and within i would say the first 3/4 months i began to notice my body hair thinned. In my view, it's bloody great cause i was hairy enough there lol. Great boon for the summer having less of it in volume. 

In terms of my beard or eyebrows  i have noticed no changes that are indicating they've thinned. The only thing that maybe i think has happened is the hair grows a bit more slowly which again, isn't a bad thing. Eyebrow hair isn't known for growing massively out of control and long. Beard wise atm, i keep a shorter full beard so any extra time between shaping up at the barbers is a bonus and saves money. 

So far, i would say that it's a fairly positive experience and i would probably say that hair on the eyebrows thinning alongside turning white is a natural part of aging abd not a side affect of DHT blocking to worry about. However, if i could suppress as much scalp DHT as Dutasteride does or more  then i would switch over ASAP if it was priced well because i do think there's positive benefits to DHT in the body, but the con of losing my hair is enough for me to keep using it for as long as i can cause i have tolerated it okay. 

• Moderators

I was taking finasteride for 11 years from roughly 1998 to 2009. My body hair definitely decreased over that time. I don't know about my beard hair as I shave daily, bit I don't think my beard hair changed any. I'm sure the decrease in body hair was from the finasteride because since I stopped taking it my body hair increased and is still growing more now than it was before.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.