FUE Hair Transplant Review - Dr. Laorwong - 2,600 Grafts

Gi29

I am a 29 year old Asian and started noticing my hairline receding when I was 25 years old. 

I almost went to a Turkey hair mill, but thanks to this forum, I decided to go to Dr. Laorwong in Bangkok. The reason I chose him is that:

1. He is recommended by this forum and has great results
  2. He performs the surgery on at most one patient a day
  3. He gives a reasonable price 
  4. His clinic location is close to me (I live in Southeast Asia)

At first, it was difficult to contact him. I tried the clinic's WhatsApp, Line, and phone number. I finally was able to reach him via email.

He answered all my questions via email and I decided to go with him (I was required to pay 20,000 baht via Paypal to make a reservation).

Day -1: Consultation

I went to the clinic at 3 PM for the consultation. When I arrived, the front lady was talking to another customer, and I didn't know what to do, so I just stood behind that customer. Since I was not given any instruction by the front lady, I came forward to tell her that I had an appointment. She straight up told me to have a seat, which I felt weird. When that customer went out, I stood up and went to the front desk again to talk to her, but she immediately instructed me to sit. My impression at that time was that the front desk lady was a bit rude (to be fair, I think it was due to the language barrier). Then, I was handed a few sheets of forms I needed to fill. Finally, I met Dr. Laorwong, and we discussed the hairline, and he calculated the required grafts. I went home with an antibacterial shampoo which I need to use twice (that night and the morning before the surgery).

Day 0: Surgery

I arrived at the clinic early (before the clinic was even open). I had HIV and COVID tests and was led to a change room where I took a sleeping pill and an antibiotic. The surgery starts with anesthetic shots on the donor area while being massaged. The shots were slightly painful but not horrible. I slept during most of the duration of the extraction; but at one point, I felt some pain (maybe at 4/10) and told the doctor. I was given another shot, and everything went well. After the extraction, I had my lunch (pad thai) provided by the clinic. After lunch, the surgery was resumed for the transplantation. It went pretty painless but, nearing the end, I was awake and felt pretty bored waiting for the surgery to be over. At the end of the surgery, I was given PRP injections.

After the surgery, the nurses applied bandages on my scalp and hairband to prevent swelling and helped me wear a bandana. I was given a bunch of pills and headed home. Sleeping was easy with the painkiller and my travel neck pillow.

Day 1: 1 day post-op

The nurse opened the bandage, washed my scalp, and gave me the saline spray. After the LLLT, Dr. Laorwong checked my scalp and then I went home.

Day 2-3: 

Same as Day 1.

Overall, I am happy with the surgery. After the surgery, the doctor answered all my questions via email promptly.

DSC02985.JPG

DSC02986.JPG

DSC02987.JPG

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 9.20.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 9.21.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 9.21.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 9.21.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 9.22.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 9.22.22 AM.png

Edited by Gi29

*note: the hairband was too tight that it hurt for a few days. I still have some marks (and scabs) until today (20 days post-op).

These are one day post-op photos:

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 9.23.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 9.23.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 9.25.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 9.26.05 AM.png

• Administrators

Wow that post-op extractions look impeccable. Very clean work. He’s definitely producing top-notch work. Very happy you found us 🙌🏼

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

49 minutes ago, Ryan Daniel said:

The recipient area looks great. Extremely dense packed and natural.  Good luck for the result 

Thanks! I also started taking finasteride (1mg/day) 1 week prior to the surgery.

53 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Wow that post-op extractions look impeccable. Very clean work. He’s definitely producing top-notch work. Very happy you found us 🙌🏼

Thank you for your work in this forum, Melvin! Your videos on YouTube are also really helpful. 

• Thanks 1

Congratulations…density looks amazing.

I regret not taking more photos of mine close up - shedding now so will have to wait.

Donor area after 11 days looks exceptional also.

Agree that this forum helps immensely and when considering which Dr to go with Dr Laorwong should be in the top few surgeons to choose within the Asian region. 

If you do choose this clinic I stayed at Avani+Riverside Hotel which is a 50 baht can ride away. Immaculate hotel, awesome rooms, breakfast included and a centre attached with 7 Eleven and many restaurants - highly recommend it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ramons said:

I regret not taking more photos of mine close up - shedding now so will have to wait.

Agree that this forum helps immensely and when considering which Dr to go with Dr Laorwong should be in the top few surgeons to choose within the Asian region. 

If you do choose this clinic I stayed at Avani+Riverside Hotel which is a 50 baht can ride away. Immaculate hotel, awesome rooms, breakfast included and a centre attached with 7 Eleven and many restaurants - highly recommend it.

To clarify “Asian region”…I travelled from Australia and would highly recommend it to anyone considering.

- skilled surgeon

- great and consistent results

- surgeon performs the procedure 

- LLLT and PRP included

- very well priced

4 hours ago, Ramons said:

Thanks! Good luck for your result!

I stayed in Pratunam area (Berkeley hotel) which is 130 baht ride away. Breakfast was not included (intentionally), so I and my travel companions can try local food. 

If anyone decides to go to Bangkok (whether for HT or not), they should try Thai street food!

10 hours ago, Gi29 said:

Thanks! Good luck for your result!

I stayed in Pratunam area (Berkeley hotel) which is 130 baht ride away. Breakfast was not included (intentionally), so I and my travel companions can try local food. 

If anyone decides to go to Bangkok (whether for HT or not), they should try Thai street food!

😀I am a scared little boy when it comes to food experimentation…it would react violently with my soft digestive system….which wouldn’t be great after surgery…..I do now see how my last post could be perceived 🤣 

3 hours ago, Dillpickle123 said:

You got a skin fade before the procedure I’m thinking doing this too probably a mid fade and keep the length on top similar to hide it it how noticeable is it after two weeks? Are you able to hide it’s sufficiently?

Dr. Laorwong did the fade for me. Yes, I was able to hide it pretty well. No one asked anything about my hair, so I’d say it’s hidden sufficiently. This is after 3 weeks:8D60A069-17FB-4335-81BA-C85A82FB0C1C.jpeg.db635359c72ded6c4464a254bbf5c043.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

How is it going? Any more pics?

Did they give you movies to watch or anything? I was reading some places give you entertainment to help pass the time.

Did you take sleeping pills or anything during the procedure? Just wondering how alert you were going back to the hotel. 

Thanks!

Edited by Needadviceplease

Here is the 1-month update:

- My scalp is still numb

- 80% of the grafts have shed

- Few pimples on the donor area 

- I started applying minoxidil foam around week 2.5

20 hours ago, Needadviceplease said:

Hi,

Did they give you movies to watch or anything? I was reading some places give you entertainment to help pass the time.

Did you take sleeping pills or anything during the procedure? Just wondering how alert you were going back to the hotel. 

Thanks!

I was given a sleeping pill during the procedure, so I was sleepy during the procedure. I was not given any form of entertainment, but I did not mind since I spent most of the time sleeping.  Nearing the end of the graft placements, I was awake and getting bored (final 15 minutes).

I was fully alert when I went back to the hotel.

Recipient:

2109922649_ScreenShot2022-08-04at9_40_03AM.thumb.png.896f51993f9207868c281edbade4e838.png

1396671431_ScreenShot2022-08-04at9_40_51AM.png.1b1e86ec5e49c9a22f22ae5c206fb9db.png

1717036611_ScreenShot2022-08-04at9_41_12AM.png.79a4b1aed50c51fa54f514f5e812b385.png

Donor:

883577427_ScreenShot2022-08-04at9_41_33AM.thumb.png.16b657d3143e3180ae838999c82934e2.png

453549108_ScreenShot2022-08-04at9_42_03AM.png.7cb418c96defb165fa7b2b3da7ddee25.png

1464174292_ScreenShot2022-08-04at9_42_17AM.thumb.png.6d6a71665b416a94ff99cdd1c3c0f9f8.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Needadviceplease said:

Hi,

Thanks!

No entertainment…just some meds that take the edge off.

The chair is uncomfortable…but maybe cos I am 43 with fused discs or maybe cos I had 3800 grafts 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Vann said:

Between the 2,600 grafts do you know the distribution between singles, doubles, etc?

the breakdown is the following:
1 hair-grafts = 634

2 hair-grafts = 1583

3 hair-grafts = 532

in total: 2799 grafts

it turns out that the actual procedure is 2799 instead of 2600 grafts.

1 hour ago, Gi29 said:

the breakdown is the following:
1 hair-grafts = 634

2 hair-grafts = 1583

3 hair-grafts = 532

in total: 2799 grafts

it turns out that the actual procedure is 2799 instead of 2600 grafts.

Nice that’s about 200 extra grafts. Did they charge you for the additional work, or was it a mistake in their end when extracting the grafts? 

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

2 hours ago, Vann said:

Nice that’s about 200 extra grafts. Did they charge you for the additional work, or was it a mistake in their end when extracting the grafts? 

Nope, they didn’t charge me extra. I only knew the distribution after I emailed them yesterday. Maybe it was their mistake or they decided that more grafts were required during the surgery.