Outreach to r/HairTransplants

I’ve been on that subreddit for awhile and I feel pretty strongly we should try to steer people to this forum instead. It’s interesting just to browse, I’ve never went there for any other reason though. 

it’s rampant with bad advice, mentally harmful feedback, and people going to hairmills. 

Has this forum and it’s members ever attempted to organize and get people here instead? Many of those well meaning people could really benefit from knowing about this forums existence. 

Edited by Spacedcherry
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I believe one of their forum moderators frequents this forum. He often references our threads. I think his name is wallaby. You should message him on Reddit. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Spacedcherry said:

it’s rampant with bad advice, mentally harmful feedback, and people going to hairmills. 

About 95% of the results and posts on there have the patient going to hairmills. I was lucky that I saw a referral about this forum on there, otherwise I likely would of went to a hairmill like Hair of Istanbul or Serkan Aygin as at the time the top results on that subreddit are from those hairmills. HRN should 100% be pinned on that subreddit so that people can formulate their own opinions with the necessary tips that you can find here.

• Like 3

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

5 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I believe one of their forum moderators frequents this forum. He often references our threads. I think his name is wallaby. You should message him on Reddit. 

I will try and find him there!

• Administrators
16 hours ago, RTC said:

I try to offer advice on there and send people here. But the demographics are quite different - r/hairtranssplant is full of young kids who have no business even getting a HT hence the drive to cheap hair mills in Turkey.

Yea I post some of our stuff on there, but a lot of the times it gets taken down. I messaged the mods and they said its reported as spam. Even though its purely educational content. Best thing to do is to refer people to hear for reviews. That's ultimately the best thing they can do.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

r/tressless can be just as bad. 

The craziest thing I see on both these subreddits is you have NW3s who all they do is dermarolling and microneedling and they legitimately turn into NW1s again. 

Its freaking crazy. But then again the average age on those subreddits is early 20s and idk I guess when you are that young and catch MPB early enough maybe alternative treatments do have crazy results. I'm still very skeptical of that though. 

Also many many many cases of people going to Turkish hairmills with apparently great results. Skeptical of that as well. 

Keep in mind if you bring le reddit army to HRN, HRN will turn more into Reddit 🥺

I for one like to keep HRN educational and meme-free - even though it can feel dry at times, and keep Reddit for the lulz. 

Also, older HRN members may seek out the other legitimate HT sites if the HRN audience suddenly gets flooded with a bunch of teenagers.

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

r/tressless can be just as bad. 

The craziest thing I see on both these subreddits is you have NW3s who all they do is dermarolling and microneedling and they legitimately turn into NW1s again. 

Its freaking crazy. But then again the average age on those subreddits is early 20s and idk I guess when you are that young and catch MPB early enough maybe alternative treatments do have crazy results. I'm still very skeptical of that though. 

Also many many many cases of people going to Turkish hairmills with apparently great results. Skeptical of that as well. 

Keep in mind if you bring le reddit army to HRN, HRN will turn more into Reddit 🥺

I for one like to keep HRN educational and meme-free - even though it can feel dry at times, and keep Reddit for the lulz. 

Also, older HRN members may seek out the other legitimate HT sites if the HRN audience suddenly gets flooded with a bunch of teenagers.

Have you seen Transtimelines on reddit too ? 

Transgender guys often REGROW hair with oral  estrogen 10mg & spironolactone 200mg. 

As crazy as it may sound, the results they achieve are better than a good 75% of the hair transplants I see on this forum. 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

That will never happen as long as i'm around. I value honesty and transparency, but trolling behavior will never be tolerated. I do agree that the majority of Reddit users are in their early 20's. I don't think hair transplants are the answer. But we have plans to create HRN a one-stop-shop for everything hair restoration related. Including, pipeline drugs, treatments, etc. 

• Like 4

View my thread

I've made dozens of posts on that subreddit steering people to this forum for better advice.  But I think some people don't care enough to listen.  Those that do, good for them.

• Like 1

Check out my journey here:

• Administrators

Here’s a prime example:

0E6F089A-E9CB-489B-80E5-409EE29D0E79.jpeg

I literally posted this to get questions that they would want answered, or to see if anyone wanted a live consultation. High-grade educational content. They removed it. I know some of their mods visit this forum, so they enjoy our free content, but don’t allow it to be shared on there 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 1

View my thread

42 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Here’s a prime example:

0E6F089A-E9CB-489B-80E5-409EE29D0E79.jpeg

I literally posted this to get questions that they would want answered, or to see if anyone wanted a live consultation. High-grade educational content. They removed it. I know some of their mods visit this forum, so they enjoy our free content, but don’t allow it to be shared on there 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Just comes off like the mods there do not care about the well being of the people who post there. I mean on some level I get it, we're all strangers to a degree. But they must know that people going to hairmills is rampant(especially among people who post there), poor framed questions, really awful, discouraging answers... etc

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, Spacedcherry said:

Just comes off like the mods there do not care about the well being of the people who post there. I mean on some level I get it, we're all strangers to a degree. But they must know that people going to hairmills is rampant(especially among people who post there), poor framed questions, really awful, discouraging answers... etc

I have seen some of the mods link threads to this forum. So they obviously visit. Just seems odd that they wouldn’t want to get their community access to the resources we provide oh well. 

• Confused 1

View my thread

• Administrators

Looks like someone already posted this thread on Reddit. Rather than start some sort of forum war, I don't understand why we can't share and work together. After all, our main goal is to share experiences and real information about hair transplants. While some might be misguided on there, many are searching for real information, which this forum has to offer. 

• Like 1

View my thread

7 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Looks like someone already posted this thread on Reddit. Rather than start some sort of forum war, I don't understand why we can't share and work together. After all, our main goal is to share experiences and real information about hair transplants. While some might be misguided on there, many are searching for real information, which this forum has to offer. 

Perhaps an invite of their mod to next hrn podcast  would be a solution ,  to have an open discussion and work out disagreements or misunderstanding they have toward our forum.

Some are misguided.  All we can do is try to educate.  I did add my two cents.  Hopefully it helps.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Reddit can be a very polarizing place, and the subreddits I frequent that I love can be very good... And the ones that are bad are very bad. Lol. I didn't realize there was a prominent subreddit for hair transplants, and I'm totally on board with us slowly using it as an opportunity to educate some of the younger generation over there so that they don't make really ill-informed decisions that they eventually regret. I'm so used to this forum being so supportive and education-focused that I forget most parts of the internet aren't that way. (Thanks @Melvin- Moderator ! :) )

• Like 2

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Lmao, the first thing to realise is you're trying to think that Reddit Mods are actually sensible individuals and not the stereotype kinda like Doreen from R/Antiwork that tanked an entire movement in seconds by going on TV for "5 seconds of fame". 

R/HairTransplants and R/Tressless have some good advice and the rest are useless and poor. 

The results in the hair transplant specifically are full of hair mill results and pluggy hairlines being praised, and then you have young guys unwilling to properly educate themselves on hair restoration or hair transplants. So in a way, as bad as it sounds, when they end up in those places you deserve what you get if you deliberately ignored all the red flags and good advice people gave you. 

The Reddit sections are a bit of an echo chamber and its why you get Incel behaviour that spills over too because these young guys come across hair transplants when focused on this " CHAD self improvement" crap. 

I think the majority of people have enough things on their plates to bother arguing on the Internet with mods from Reddit about content. 

There was actually an example where an entire Reddit section tried to basically get a new website outside of Reddit so they could make money off it and it tanked to hell. 

Honestly guys, do what you can but know when to not bother. Some people can't or don't want to be saved. Leave them to it. 

• Like 2

I found this forum via reddit. Sure glad I did.

I still look at tressless and the hairtransplant subreddits occasionally. I do see some decent content and I appreciate the memes.

Edited by Viney
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Viney said:

I found this forum via reddit. Sure glad I did.

I still look at tressless and the hairtransplant subreddits occasionally. I do see some decent content and I appreciate the memes.

There's some solid stuff for sure and yes, some funny memes. Unfortunately i think the age demographic and general behaviour of Reddit posters means that quality information can be few and far between all the rubbish that's posted and sometimes misinformation. 

In fact, i don't 100% have a way to prove this, but i strongly believe there's even shills for hair mills on those subs. 

The thing with Reddit too is that you have young guys, and when dealing with hair loss they're already hurting with it emotionally and sometimes an emotionally angry young guy isn't always going to make the most sensible of choices or choose to believe what might be the right information. I'm pretty sure we've all been there as younger men and can remember as well as the fact that a LOT of people just look for confirmation bias. 

If you actually came here from Reddit, i think it's great because i think generally this site has shifted past the "Bro Science" attitude that mostly permeates in Reddit. I don't believe in using largely untested (science backed clinical studies) research chemicals for which you cannot even confirm the purity of the ingredients you are buying because its grey market yet we constantly are seeing people talk about RU54881 or whatever the combination lock number is. 

Finasteride, Minoxidil, Microneedling and Ketoconazole 2% have scientific study and basis backing them for hair loss. Lesser DHT blockers might have something but not enough. 

So that's the R/Tressless side in a nutshell which is more focused on hair loss prevention and regrowth but the hair transplant side and the R/HairTransplants section, there's unfortunately an attitude to say "OMG, great hair bro(!)" when people end up at a hair mill and get a pluggy as hell hairline because the person looked worse before because of the extensive hair loss and not give a more measured approach of praise. 

The truth is, if we constantly dance around the subject, aren't we throwing more good people to these butchers in hair mills only focused on profit? By not calling it out, we can see how people are even getting procedures done that get botched on other parts of their body and praising them for it because nobody wants to "hurt feelings". 

Nobody is telling you to be an absolute a-hole, but we need to be having an honest and open conversation with some people in a respectful way and if they choose to take or leave the advice, the end result is on them. They have to live with it. 

I am slowly coming more and more around to the idea that there needs to be a more genuine bit of content out there for men, because a LOT of stuff that's getting big is trash designed to get clicks, ad revenue and sponsors for things they don't really believe in for money. 

• Like 2

I occasionally read and post reply on that subreddit and often reference the hair forums, especially this one.  In my opinion, Most of its members aren’t overly educated about hair transplant surgery and don’t provide the kind of detailed advice and information that you can get here.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.