PRP treatment? Does it make a difference?

Does PRP treatment make a difference in end result of hair transplant? Especially if the transplant hair is being placed in the scar area in the beard? 

I am looking to get a beard transplant into a scarred area of the beard. The plan is to use donor area from behind the scalp and then add those grafts in beard. Please advice if PRP would make a positive difference in getting a higher success rate? Will it make sure the graft holds better in scar area?

Edited by kumardarshan

• Administrators

PRP has been said to stimulate hair growth. Some surgeons include it with a hair transplant, as a way to improve growth. I can’t say that it makes a difference if I’m being honest. But I will say that it doesn’t hurt. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Platelet Rich Plasma aka PRP is a treatment that does have some scientific evidence supporting its efficacy BUT it is extremely limited. 

At very best it might thicken up a little bit your existing native miniaturized hairs. Generally the improvement is so tiny and subtle that it is barely detectable visually. Also it may speed up a little bit the growth of the grafts post surgery. 

But in all honesty, I suggest you do not waste your time, money and energy on PRP. The truth is that for most people it doesn't do anything. 

You better get on oral Finasteride/Dutasteride and start saving for an excellent surgeon. 

All the best and good luck. 

I have done a lot of research into PRP. First and foremost most applications of PRP range from cosmetic to orthopedic uses.

But if youre trying to heal damaged scar tissue through prp it wont really be helpful. However, since you want to transplant hair over that tissue you might want to start dermarolling since scar tissue in the skin can cause complications for any sort of hair transplant. But I would probably talk to your doctor to see whether or not your best suited for that.

To answer your question, does PRP help with hair growth. The simple answer, I found, is yes but it depends on what you call successful. It helps people losing hair that take PRP into the scalp when they are just beginning to lose ground. The highest percentages of people that benefitted from this were people who were younger and began treatment received results better than those who have progressed hairloss. It doesn't always work for everyone the way they want it to, it can cost a lot and will need treatments in the future. 

There are similar things to PRP such as Regenera that uses your own follicles to try and regrow some grafts in an autologous way (meaning your own body). It basically acts like PRP where it gets injected back into your body and promotes proliferation of your cells to grow and encourage those cells to be the same. Its kind of like the idea of stem cells but not exactly that. (also you can look up A cellular matrix with PRP I think its the trichostem system)

I took PRP after my hair transplant and plan to do it another 2-3 times. This should get my hair through the ugly duckling phase faster and promote my hair shafts to thicken. I am not sure if it will do exactly that but looking at data it would make most sense not to do so since I want the best results I can provide my hair.

Most of the cases I found suggest taking PRP between 3-4 sessions . First 3 sessions should be 1 month apart from the last. Then the 4th should be 6 months following the last session (Jan, Feb, Mar. then Sept). After that initial year some derms recommend taking it biannually (every 6 months) or every 3-4 months that you think would be help your situation.

The issue with this is that sometimes PRP can be costly compared to other alternatives so it isnt explored a lot. An option I found was getting groupon deals from my own derms office or local offices that have the same centrifuge. For my derms office they charge between $3-4k so its kind of a scam if it doesnt work. However, the same office has groupon deals that offer said PRP sessions for $250 each + $75 for administration of PRP (which $325 each session is still cheaper than 3k divided by 4 sessions would be half the price so its looking at 1.3k vs 3k).

If you have questions about its efficacy there are many studies that are posted online but its hard to find ones that arent orthopedic related. Thus I would suggest visiting your primary care physician (PCP) and getting them to advise you to a reputable derm that wont try to sell you the services but inform you on how it actually works and how it may best fit your situation.

• Like 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

6 hours ago, Vann said:

I have done a lot of research into PRP. First and foremost most applications of PRP range from cosmetic to orthopedic uses.

But if youre trying to heal damaged scar tissue through prp it wont really be helpful. However, since you want to transplant hair over that tissue you might want to start dermarolling since scar tissue in the skin can cause complications for any sort of hair transplant. But I would probably talk to your doctor to see whether or not your best suited for that.

To answer your question, does PRP help with hair growth. The simple answer, I found, is yes but it depends on what you call successful. It helps people losing hair that take PRP into the scalp when they are just beginning to lose ground. The highest percentages of people that benefitted from this were people who were younger and began treatment received results better than those who have progressed hairloss. It doesn't always work for everyone the way they want it to, it can cost a lot and will need treatments in the future. 

There are similar things to PRP such as Regenera that uses your own follicles to try and regrow some grafts in an autologous way (meaning your own body). It basically acts like PRP where it gets injected back into your body and promotes proliferation of your cells to grow and encourage those cells to be the same. Its kind of like the idea of stem cells but not exactly that. (also you can look up A cellular matrix with PRP I think its the trichostem system)

I took PRP after my hair transplant and plan to do it another 2-3 times. This should get my hair through the ugly duckling phase faster and promote my hair shafts to thicken. I am not sure if it will do exactly that but looking at data it would make most sense not to do so since I want the best results I can provide my hair.

Most of the cases I found suggest taking PRP between 3-4 sessions . First 3 sessions should be 1 month apart from the last. Then the 4th should be 6 months following the last session (Jan, Feb, Mar. then Sept). After that initial year some derms recommend taking it biannually (every 6 months) or every 3-4 months that you think would be help your situation.

The issue with this is that sometimes PRP can be costly compared to other alternatives so it isnt explored a lot. An option I found was getting groupon deals from my own derms office or local offices that have the same centrifuge. For my derms office they charge between $3-4k so its kind of a scam if it doesnt work. However, the same office has groupon deals that offer said PRP sessions for $250 each + $75 for administration of PRP (which $325 each session is still cheaper than 3k divided by 4 sessions would be half the price so its looking at 1.3k vs 3k).

If you have questions about its efficacy there are many studies that are posted online but its hard to find ones that arent orthopedic related. Thus I would suggest visiting your primary care physician (PCP) and getting them to advise you to a reputable derm that wont try to sell you the services but inform you on how it actually works and how it may best fit your situation.

Thank you so much for your detailed answer. My main objective is to have enough hair growth onto scar tissue to have it camouflaged so it isn’t noticeable. I had a question that how would dermaroller help me? I never used it. My scar is 20 years old and hopefully hair transplant will be enough to hide it after good growth. I have already consulted a doctor and i am going for hair transplant since there has been many good cases with similar issues.

I did a lot of research as well online regarding PRP and the research is very limited and there is no standardized procedure for it. Lots of variables to factor into like what kind of centrifuge being used, concentration of platelets achieved etc. I agree it may have lots of benefits in person just experiencing starting phase of hair thinning. I am not sure if it will help with hair transplant procedures. 

On 7/6/2022 at 5:36 AM, kumardarshan said:

Does PRP treatment make a difference in end result of hair transplant? Especially if the transplant hair is being placed in the scar area in the beard? 

I am looking to get a beard transplant into a scarred area of the beard. The plan is to use donor area from behind the scalp and then add those grafts in beard. Please advice if PRP would make a positive difference in getting a higher success rate? Will it make sure the graft holds better in scar area?

It does not make much of a difference. PRP provides growth factors to the hair. However, even if you do not take PRP sessions then it does not make any difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kumardarshan said:

Thank you so much for your detailed answer. My main objective is to have enough hair growth onto scar tissue to have it camouflaged so it isn’t noticeable. I had a question that how would dermaroller help me? I never used it. My scar is 20 years old and hopefully hair transplant will be enough to hide it after good growth. I have already consulted a doctor and i am going for hair transplant since there has been many good cases with similar issues.

I did a lot of research as well online regarding PRP and the research is very limited and there is no standardized procedure for it. Lots of variables to factor into like what kind of centrifuge being used, concentration of platelets achieved etc. I agree it may have lots of benefits in person just experiencing starting phase of hair thinning. I am not sure if it will help with hair transplant procedures. 

The studies I have mainly focused on derma rolling with PRP where the derma rolling damages your skin in attempt to cause collagen production and your skin will try and "fix" some of the minor damage by leveling your collagen. It has been found to help people with bad acne scars. The prp helps in providing the nutrients the body needs to stay "youthful" in a sense and help with some boosted production. A lot of people push off PRP because it does not have a lot of studies and they think its solely cosmetic. But there are a lot of orthopedic uses where it actually can mediate some inflammation issues. Now this will be a long time from now but its low key promising in my opinion.

As for dermarolling I would suggest you try it at least. Maybe start at 0.5mm then increase your way up over time. You could dermaroll at 0.5mm every 2 weeks giving your skin enough time to heal from each session. You can probably try mederma I found it very helpful in reducing the look of keloid scars that I have had from my knee surgery back in Feb. It doesnt completely get rid of the scar but it reduces the color to make it blend in better with my skin. There are a few things you can try but without pictures I cant really say they will be promising. 

When you mentioned those variable factors thats a strong point to make. The difference between good PRP and less effective would be those mentioned variables... it doesnt mean itll be bad but its hard to know what constitutes as the perfect concentration when you cant get that info. 

For the cost of PRP I am tempted to just buy a centrifuge and ask one of my friends to apply the PRP into my scalp just because the cost of the machine would be close to getting it done year by year. But then again its easier to just go and have it done so its something I am considering.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

• 2 months later...
On 7/6/2022 at 8:24 PM, Vann said:

For the cost of PRP I am tempted to just buy a centrifuge and ask one of my friends to apply the PRP into my scalp just because the cost of the machine would be close to getting it done year by year. But then again its easier to just go and have it done so its something I am considering.

You sound like a moron. Your advice is actually bad.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@Vann, Thanks for posting this, still my question is, while being on NW5, planning to do an HT in next 3-6 mo. and would like to do a PRP now. (1 or more) will that be any beneficial? (no medicine, started topical minoxidil)

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, devilfishlane said:

Not sure if PRP works in the scalp but it definitely works in the face. I have been getting it done every 3 weeks for 4 yrs now. Luckily I live in Colombia and my girl charges US$40 each time, 6 full syringes. I have skin of a 35 yr old most say. But I'm 55 in April ))

That is shockingly cheap!

• Valued Contributor
On 7/7/2022 at 10:45 AM, Eugenix Hair Sciences said:

It does not make much of a difference. PRP provides growth factors to the hair. However, even if you do not take PRP sessions then it does not make any difference.

This ^ This is just my opinion but as a stand alone long term therapy I don't give it a lot of creedance. It's often used as a miracle treatment for hair loss. It does play a role in wound healing and when having a hair transplant it is often used then (as it was for me). I'm happy to be found wrong on this but these are just my beliefs. It's been around a long time too.

• 7 months later...

@kumardarshan,

At the end of the day, PRP can stimulate growth factors and create/optimize a healthy environment for your natural and  transplanted hair.  it may also help as a nominal non-surgical hair loss treatment for your natural hair. Although, just like most non-surgical treatments, it does far better at helping to slow down or stop the progression of male pattern baldness rather than regrowing any actual hair. 

As for the actual hair transplant itself… as long as you select an outstanding surgeon with a proven track record of producing excellent results, There are no non-surgical solutions or treatments that are necessary to maximize the potential of your hair transplant. 

Long story short, I do believe that PRP can have some nominal benefit in particular in helping to nourish and maintain existing natural hair.   It’s also  suggested to be possible in even helping to jumpstart early hair transplant growth.  But in terms of growth yield of a hair transplant, it’s the skill and experience of your selected surgeon that matters most.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.