FUE and Exercise

So many have differing views on when one can get back into exercise. I’m an avid runner(3+ miles), swimmer, and weight lifter. I like to run every day and swim most days. How long is the safest bet to wait to be sure no damage happens? Like when could be the absolute earliest to get back into long fast runs that leave me drenched in sweat?

7 minutes ago, NOMORENORWOOD said:

So many have differing views on when one can get back into exercise. I’m an avid runner(3+ miles), swimmer, and weight lifter. I like to run every day and swim most days. How long is the safest bet to wait to be sure no damage happens? Like when could be the absolute earliest to get back into long fast runs that leave me drenched in sweat?

Apparently some say 3 weeks, some less but personally i would stick to 3-4 weeks. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Apparently some say 3 weeks, some less but personally i would stick to 3-4 weeks. 

When do the hairs become fully attached I guess? Like if you were to run in the wind or hit your head how long after fue is it still safe since they are in their good?

• Administrators

It depends on whether you're getting FUE or FUT. If you're getting FUE, you can return to exercising normally around 14 days. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

It depends on whether you're getting FUE or FUT. If you're getting FUE, you can return to exercising normally around 14 days. 

Thank you Melvin. I was wondering fue mainly. It seems you answered my question exactly how I wanted. It is hard to know for sure when you can get back into those things but thanks again Melvin!

It varies per clinic.  Some doctors are more conservative than others.  Most believe you cannot hurt anything after 3 days.  But, out of caution, some will get you back to easy aerobics after 7 days.  Most will suggest 14 days for more extraneous exercise.  FUT, however, particularly when it comes to weightlifting, it is suggested you avoid exercises that affect the neck for 6 months.  This can stretch the wound margins and result in a wider scar.  Sweat, by the way, is fine.  It is exertion we are trying to avoid immediately post op.  

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Narmark,

to be honest, you can start at least some level of moderate exercise only a few days postop if you’re exceptionally careful that said, if you’re asking when you can return to all your normal activities and exercises, full steam ahead, I’d suggest waiting at least two weeks if you’ve undergone FUE.

FUT is a little more complicated because even though people say that you can return to all normal exercises between 3 to 4 weeks, it’s still crucial that you proceed with caution and not do any exercises that will strain or stretch the donor area.

For example, I have found that doing flat bench can put some additional strain on the sides and back of your scalp and since the wound will be tender for several months after surgery, I would proceed with caution. If you insist on doing flat bench I would do lighter weights and more reps and keep your head very still.  

Also, be careful doing crunches if you put your hands behind your head. People have a tendency to pull with their hands when they start getting tired and that could potentially stretch the scar.

With FUE, you don’t have to worry about tension on wounds because donor harvesting works very different. There is no strip of scalp tissue removed and wound closure that you have to worry about.  

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

14 hours ago, lunch_owl said:

This is a worry of mine too. Its hard to imagine not working out for a few weeks. Just the thought of it is stressing me out lol

Lol true. Working out is my favorite hobby so will be hard to go 2-3 weeks without it.

11 hours ago, LaserCaps said:

It varies per clinic.  Some doctors are more conservative than others.  Most believe you cannot hurt anything after 3 days.  But, out of caution, some will get you back to easy aerobics after 7 days.  Most will suggest 14 days for more extraneous exercise.  FUT, however, particularly when it comes to weightlifting, it is suggested you avoid exercises that affect the neck for 6 months.  This can stretch the wound margins and result in a wider scar.  Sweat, by the way, is fine.  It is exertion we are trying to avoid immediately post op.  

Oh that makes sense. Yes I will sweat especially on a treadmill so didn’t know how much that mattered but extortion makes sense. Seems like waiting longer is always safer so 14 days is probably best. When can one wear a surgical cap or hat after HT?

10 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Narmark,

to be honest, you can start at least some level of moderate exercise only a few days postop if you’re exceptionally careful that said, if you’re asking when you can return to all your normal activities and exercises, full steam ahead, I’d suggest waiting at least two weeks if you’ve undergone FUE.

FUT is a little more complicated because even though people say that you can return to all normal exercises between 3 to 4 weeks, it’s still crucial that you proceed with caution and not do any exercises that will strain or stretch the donor area.

For example, I have found that doing flat bench can put some additional strain on the sides and back of your scalp and since the wound will be tender for several months after surgery, I would proceed with caution. If you insist on doing flat bench I would do lighter weights and more reps and keep your head very still.  

Also, be careful doing crunches if you put your hands behind your head. People have a tendency to pull with their hands when they start getting tired and that could potentially stretch the scar.

With FUE, you don’t have to worry about tension on wounds because donor harvesting works very different. There is no strip of scalp tissue removed and wound closure that you have to worry about.  

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

So for sure 2 weeks after fue it is safe to get back into long distance runs(4+ miles) or swimming?

• Moderators

Running and weight lifting you can do after about 2 weeks, but I would wait a few months before swimming due to the chlorine and other chemicals in the water.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

54 minutes ago, NOMORENORWOOD said:

Lol true. Working out is my favorite hobby so will be hard to go 2-3 weeks without it.

Oh that makes sense. Yes I will sweat especially on a treadmill so didn’t know how much that mattered but extortion makes sense. Seems like waiting longer is always safer so 14 days is probably best. When can one wear a surgical cap or hat after HT?

Of the research i have done some say that you can wear a hat or cap about 2 weeks after. Im in the process of creating a "baseball cap" that does not touch your scalp and at the same time protect those precious and expensive grafts against bumping into objects,  scratching your head accidentally and against the sun's UV rays. You can wear this directly after transplant. Its also good If you dont feel comfortable walking in crowded places with a fully visible head after ht 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lunch_owl said:

Of the research i have done some say that you can wear a hat or cap about 2 weeks after. Im in the process of creating a "baseball cap" that does not touch your scalp and at the same time protect those precious and expensive grafts against bumping into objects,  scratching your head accidentally and against the sun's UV rays. You can wear this directly after transplant. Its also good If you dont feel comfortable walking in crowded places with a fully visible head after ht 😁

Dm me the cap I’d be interested 

• Like 1

I was in the gym on day 6 or 7 of my last FUE. Still had scabs. I just had a baseball hat on, it doesn't really touch the recipient area.

I did no cardio, tried not to do anything that made me sweat. Still did a lot of weight lifting. No issues.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MachoVato said:

I did no cardio, tried not to do anything that made me sweat. Still did a lot of weight lifting. No issues.

how did you not break a sweat liftint weights lol? did u go really light and take long time between lifts ?

9 hours ago, Gokuhairline said:

how did you not break a sweat liftint weights lol? did u go really light and take long time between lifts ?

No, I usually go pretty heavy. I mean, my heartrate is faster but not like I am on a treadmill. What I mean is, I'm not dripping sweat. Nothing wrong with getting warm.

At 1 week, your grafts are permanent, they aren't coming out. I didn't have any unusual bleeding or scabs. Just try to keep your head elevated and not sweat all over. 

Of course, I'm a bit of a crazy person. I was drinking beer the night of my procedure. haha

• Like 3
  • Wow 1