Are there any affordable hair transplant surgeons in the US that are also good?

When you look through hair transplant pricing, the US seems to be much more expensive than Europe.  Are there any respected surgeons in the US who might have comparable pricing to those in other parts of the world?

I understand the word 'affordable' is relative. But when you look at  someone like Dr. Christian Bisanga charging 4.50 euro per graft and compare that to Dr.Bloxham who charges 10 dollars per graft(about 9.53 euro) you start to see what I mean. Dr Chistian Bisanga is still cheaper even factoring the VAT tax. They are both great hair transplant surgeons and this is not a dig at anybody. I'm just curious if something comparable is possible at all in the United States.

I've started forming my consultation list but many are out of my immediate price range.

Edited by Spacedcherry

I don't think any hair transplant surgeon in the US is "affordable" for the average Joe...

Some are more expensive than others but none is budget-friendly. 

You're looking at at least 6$ per graft for a reputable doctor. 

I'd look into other options in Europe. 

I generally feel confident recommending Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Pinto, Dr. Ferreira, Dr. De Freitas, Dr. Ximena Vila, Dr. Zarev, BHR Malaga, HDC Cyprus. 

Feriduni and Mwamba are okay options too. 

I'd stay away from Turkey except the following clinics: Turan, Gur, Bicer and maybe Demirsoy. None of these is elite but if you are on a budget then they are the most decent budget options. Pekiner does  solid work too for the most part but due to some issues with him, I don't feel comfortable recommending him to other people. 

• Like 2

for your american "affordable", you can get world class one already. so unless you're doing a very small amount of grafts, even with the plane tickets these more reputable docs are still way more affordable, not to mention better.

• Like 2

Look into Dr. Vladimir Panine in Chicago. His prices are a steal for someone of his caliber in the US. Dr. Gabel, Dr. Charles, and Dr. Mohebi are great too. I don't know their prices though. 

Are you looking at FUE or both FUT and FUE? FUT tends to be more cheap. I wouldn't go to Dr. Bloxham for FUE. The vast majority of his work is FUT

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Cost varies from person to person. Depending on how many grafts you need. Have you sent any consultations?

Feel free to send some below. 
https://hairtransplantnetwork.com/best-hair-transplant-surgeons

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I do think it's going to be hard to find prices as low in the US and Canada as they are in other countries, and I believe the average price per graft in the US/Can is around $8/graft. There are more regulations, fees, etc. here that factor into this, not to mention the cost of living simply being more here - especially in bigger metropolitan areas. I'm sure you could find some clinics that offer promotions and deals, but I'd be a bit wary of those places tbh. (I'm specifically referring to the types of clinics that offer an extensive "menu", of sorts, of all kinds of plastic surgery procedures, with hair transplants just being one of them.) As a general rule, if $8/graft is out of your price range - which would be understandable - I would suggest saving a bit more money to budget for it or consider some low-interest financing... Otherwise, looking at top surgeons in other countries might be your best bet.

And all of that to say, don't let "price" be such an important determining factor that you let that dictate choosing a less than ideal surgeon. I don't think that's what you're doing, but just offering a general piece of advice that bargain shopping in the extreme when it comes to hair transplants can often lead to more money being spent on repairs down the road. 

• Like 2

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

8 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Cost varies from person to person. Depending on how many grafts you need. Have you sent any consultations?

Feel free to send some below. 
https://hairtransplantnetwork.com/best-hair-transplant-surgeons

I haven’t sent any yet, I’m still putting together my list of consultations. But I plan to start setting them up this coming week.  Most of which is composed of the top recommendations from this forum! 

also, thank you to everyone else who replied! I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything before I started planning to travel out of the US for the procedure. 

10 hours ago, Cantstandya said:

Look into Dr. Vladimir Panine in Chicago. His prices are a steal for someone of his caliber in the US. Dr. Gabel, Dr. Charles, and Dr. Mohebi are great too. I don't know their prices though. 

Are you looking at FUE or both FUT and FUE? FUT tends to be more cheap. I wouldn't go to Dr. Bloxham for FUE. The vast majority of his work is FUT

thank you! I’ll check him out. I’m thinking of going the FUE route purely because if I decide to not have further procedures down the line as my hair loss progresses I won’t be left with the linear scar. But I’m not opposed to FUT. Bloxham though great is definitely outside of my price range. I can’t imagine I need less than 2000 grafts. 

once I do my consultations I will be making a thread to document the journey. This forum has been very inspiring. The cost of the procedure is really the only thing causing me distress lol. 

8 hours ago, pkipling said:

I do think it's going to be hard to find prices as low in the US and Canada as they are in other countries, and I believe the average price per graft in the US/Can is around $8/graft. There are more regulations, fees, etc. here that factor into this, not to mention the cost of living simply being more here - especially in bigger metropolitan areas. I'm sure you could find some clinics that offer promotions and deals, but I'd be a bit wary of those places tbh. (I'm specifically referring to the types of clinics that offer an extensive "menu", of sorts, of all kinds of plastic surgery procedures, with hair transplants just being one of them.) As a general rule, if $8/graft is out of your price range - which would be understandable - I would suggest saving a bit more money to budget for it or consider some low-interest financing... Otherwise, looking at top surgeons in other countries might be your best bet.

And all of that to say, don't let "price" be such an important determining factor that you let that dictate choosing a less than ideal surgeon. I don't think that's what you're doing, but just offering a general piece of advice that bargain shopping in the extreme when it comes to hair transplants can often lead to more money being spent on repairs down the road. 

That’s all very useful information thank you! 

And yeah, I won’t pick a bad/mediocre surgeon just because they’re affordable.  I’ve been researching using this form as my primary source for a couple of years now, and I think I have a pretty good idea what to avoid. 

im trying to find the balance between cost and quality. Which might just mean I have to travel outside of the US. 

big question is, what is your norwood? if its 4 and up, i would def consider looking outside the US and Canada and even Europe. I think a lot of people have this belief that you can only get the best results in these first world countries, and it is definitely not true. 

Also i feel a lot of the American/US surgeons try to justify their prices because they claim they do the all/majority of the procedures themselves, while these foreign clinics use technicians. 

Having gone through a HT recently abroad, its a very long procedure. I cannot imagine a HT surgeon doing 8 hours straight of incisions, and extractions by himself and not getting bored, lazy, and eventually sloppy with their work. Thats a lot of focus, and for long hours for one person, on a very mundane procedure (imo). 

Remember nearly 99% of HT surgeons, are not actual trained surgeons aka they did not do a surgical residency. You can be any type of physician and take a course and become a HT "surgeon". I have seen doctors who were previously general practitioners, to emergency medicine doctors make the switch to become HT doctors, and I can only see potential money making ability of HT surgeries being the reason behind the switch, so I really wonder how much of their interest in HT is really genuine or are they really just in it for the cash. I mean if someone is willing to pay you $30 k for one day of work  say for example at Hasson and Wong, why would you go back to your physician gig. 

• Like 3

On 6/19/2022 at 11:07 AM, Spacedcherry said:

When you look through hair transplant pricing, the US seems to be much more expensive than Europe.  Are there any respected surgeons in the US who might have comparable pricing to those in other parts of the world?

I understand the word 'affordable' is relative. But when you look at  someone like Dr. Christian Bisanga charging 4.50 euro per graft and compare that to Dr.Bloxham who charges 10 dollars per graft(about 9.53 euro) you start to see what I mean. Dr Chistian Bisanga is still cheaper even factoring the VAT tax. They are both great hair transplant surgeons and this is not a dig at anybody. I'm just curious if something comparable is possible at all in the United States.

I've started forming my consultation list but many are out of my immediate price range.

If you are willing to travel then you could get doctors across the globe at a comparatively lower price.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Eugenix Hair Sciences said:

If you are willing to travel then you could get doctors across the globe at a comparatively lower price.

I am, I was just trying to see if there was a way I could avoid a long plane trip. But that likely isn’t possible for me! 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 6:49 AM, Eugenix Hair Sciences said:

Patients travel from all over the globe for their hair transplant procedures. They even travel immediately after their procedures. It is safe.

Thank you for the reply I appreciate it!

• Like 1

Let me throw in my 5 cents. 

Have you noticed, most patients, after one procedure they tend to complain because of how thin it looks? So typically, multiple procedures are required to achieve density. Do you know why this happens? Most doctors are under the impression grafts compete for blood supply. They will explain they will be placing a foundation from which they can add grafts in future.  You return 12 months later, and you do it again.  Third procedure and you may have achieved fullness.  A few doctors, given technique, knowledge, experience and background, can achieve density in a single procedure.  Search for a Fellowship trained doctor and look at photos of results, particularly those similar to you. And, of course, in one visit. Why go into this way?

When you consider cost, consider how many times will you need to do this to accomplish what you set out to do.  If it's 3 procedures, $6X 3 = $18! What if you can accomplish the same in a single visit?! Cost can vary from clinic to clinic and from technique to technique. FUT seems to be in the $4.50 to $5 range while FUE in $6-$10 depending on a few variables.  My suggestion, once you've found the right clinic/doctor, is to make yourself available to the clinic.  They may work with you if a sooner slot becomes available.  

• Like 2

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

4 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

Have you noticed, most patients, after one procedure they tend to complain because of how thin it looks? So typically, multiple procedures are required to achieve density. Do you know why this happens? Most doctors are under the impression grafts compete for blood supply. They will explain they will be placing a foundation from which they can add grafts in future.  You return 12 months later, and you do it again.  Third procedure and you may have achieved fullness.  A few doctors, given technique, knowledge, experience and background, can achieve density in a single procedure.  Search for a Fellowship trained doctor and look at photos of results, particularly those similar to you. And, of course, in one visit. Why go into this way?

When you consider cost, consider how many times will you need to do this to accomplish what you set out to do.  If it's 3 procedures, $6X 3 = $18! What if you can accomplish the same in a single visit?! Cost can vary from clinic to clinic and from technique to technique. FUT seems to be in the $4.50 to $5 range while FUE in $6-$10 depending on a few variables.  My suggestion, once you've found the right clinic/doctor, is to make yourself available to the clinic.  They may work with you if a sooner slot becomes available.  

Thank you, this is definitely important to consider.

I went to Turney and Belgium from Texas. I flew business class and stayed in 5* hotels, 5 extra days in Turkey. And I probably still saved $10k by not doing it in the US. And no one can convince me I could have had a better result by not going overseas.

I say budget $4/graft and go to Spain, Portugal or maybe even Turkey. Maybe Switzerland or Bulgaria. Go a week early and make a vacation out of it. Have zero regerts!

11 hours ago, LaserCaps said:

i understand the straight logic on the cost that you put on 3 procedure = triple the cost.

but the problem with density is that the more dense you pack it, the more grafts you are going to use. so to say doing 3 x 1000 grafts is just the same as doing 3000 grafts in total cost. the reason where they are "under the impression" that grafts compete for blood supply, is that very dense packing in one procedure give way to the posibility of lesser amount of grafts surviving, and possibly in the worst case, necrosis which is the worst most imagine. the only difference if the pricing is in graft, is the amount of time people need. booking, accommodation, and convalescence are all doubled or tripled, yes, but not the operation cost itself.

if the doctor is able to go for 80/cm2 safely, there is no need for double or triple the surgery. still, 1 cm will take 80 while if you make it 2 surgery of 40/cm each, both will take the same amount of grafts. that is unless you take an all inclusive package of any number of graft  = xxx $

8 hours ago, mafpe said:

i understand the straight logic on the cost that you put on 3 procedure = triple the cost.

but the problem with density is that the more dense you pack it, the more grafts you are going to use. so to say doing 3 x 1000 grafts is just the same as doing 3000 grafts in total cost. the reason where they are "under the impression" that grafts compete for blood supply, is that very dense packing in one procedure give way to the posibility of lesser amount of grafts surviving, and possibly in the worst case, necrosis which is the worst most imagine. the only difference if the pricing is in graft, is the amount of time people need. booking, accommodation, and convalescence are all doubled or tripled, yes, but not the operation cost itself.

if the doctor is able to go for 80/cm2 safely, there is no need for double or triple the surgery. still, 1 cm will take 80 while if you make it 2 surgery of 40/cm each, both will take the same amount of grafts. that is unless you take an all inclusive package of any number of graft  = xxx $

No.  I am talking about 2 doctors doing exactly the same number.  One taking the approach of leaving a separation in between grafts to which you can add density in subsequent procedures and another doctor who's techniques are so advanced, that he can achieve density in a single procedure.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.