Any regrets from starting hair loss treatment?

I'm at a point where I'm considering starting a hair loss treatment/regimen and I'm still worried about side-effects (especially ED/libido), cost, time applying creams and sticking to the regimen and inconveniences caused by side effects or oily hair with foam/topical in it all the time.

Do you ever regret starting the whole treatment/regimen process and wish you just adapted the bald look?

• Like 1

You really just need to try Fin. Dont knock it till you try it. Only a very small amount of people get sides. And a fair amount of that is placebo effect. 

Its no different than the drug commercials that have to list 50 different side effects even though the chance is small youll get them. 

Any medication there is a chance of sides, you just need to try it out. 

I dont even bother with Rogaine because it didnt do anything for me, and dht blockers were already 100% effective. But yea Rogaine is a bit more high maintenance than just taking a pill. 

Besides hair transplants, literally the only thing I have to do for hairloss treatment is take Dutasteride every morning (which is an even stronger version of Fin mind you). Zero sides...

Personally, it’s never looked good bald amd my only regret is not trying finasteride sooner. By the time I tried finasteride, I was already pretty much an established Norwood class 5A with only a little bit of hair left on the top of my scalp. Most of it was already significantly minimized.  finasteride didn’t really work for me at that point but I wonder if it would’ve helped prevent any hair loss had I started immediately when I started noticing signs of thinning.

That said, I restored my hair with hair transplant surgery and I certainly don’t regret that. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Another vote for 'wish I had started sooner'.

I've been on finasteride and minoxidil for 10 years now and my hair has more or less been frozen in time since I started.  I've been adding in dutasteride once a week for a year or so with no side effects.  The only side I ever got from finasteride was a noticeably quicker temperament for a while, as I guess my body was getting adjusted to a bit of a testosterone boost.

I wish I had never started the expense/hassle of minoxidil at all, but started finasteride a decade sooner.

Regret from not starting it one year earlier. I am still not very bad but definitely not as great as two years ago when i noticed thinning and didn't seek treatment.

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny the amount of guys saying they regret not tying it earlier. That's for me too. 

Wish i got on it at 21 vs 31 but i would still say i've been significantly lucky from a visual PoV to be where i am. 

I think usually those who experience side affects will say they have regrets, but that's as a result of hindsight and i'm sure they'd agree that trying it and knowing is better than the alternative "What if?" situations. 

Majority of men do not have side affects. If i basically said to people, there's a 98% chance of you taking something for hair loss that will not result in permanent side affects and you could stop, likely resulting in a full recovery, i'm sure most will see that as a good bet to take. 

Hell, people do stuff all the time with less than a 50% chance of working out. 

Pharmaceutical companies are legally required to put certain side affects to cover themselves legally from being sued even if the chance is like 1 in 5 million. 

On 6/11/2022 at 10:55 AM, AnxiousBeginner said:

I'm at a point where I'm considering starting a hair loss treatment/regimen and I'm still worried about side-effects (especially ED/libido), cost, time applying creams and sticking to the regimen and inconveniences caused by side effects or oily hair with foam/topical in it all the time.

Do you ever regret starting the whole treatment/regimen process and wish you just adapted the bald look?

There is more testosterone under the med that without. Why people have side effects is beyond me.  But there are documented cases that do exist.  Why not try for 2 weeks and see what happens?  If you don't get any, you never will.  Without even trying, if you think you will get a side effect, it is likely you will.  So, IMO, your "mental approach" also has to be a positive one. Cost? This should not be an issue. Costo On-line charges $26 for the whole year. Rogaine, if doing it is too labor intensive for you, now comes in pill form. 

No, no regrets.  Can you imagine a consultant in the hair restoration industry with no hair? I've been at it now for over 30 years and have not missed a day of Propecia.  I also do Laser and Min in the mornings. You just need to make it a routine.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• Valued Contributor
On 6/12/2022 at 1:55 AM, AnxiousBeginner said:

@AnxiousBeginner you will notice one common theme in the answers that you get. That is regret. Regret that they never started finasteride, minoxidil earlier! If you get side effects then just stop the drug. All the best.

On 6/11/2022 at 7:02 PM, HappyMan2021 said:

You really just need to try Fin. Dont knock it till you try it. Only a very small amount of people get sides. And a fair amount of that is placebo effect. 

Its no different than the drug commercials that have to list 50 different side effects even though the chance is small youll get them. 

Any medication there is a chance of sides, you just need to try it out. 

I dont even bother with Rogaine because it didnt do anything for me, and dht blockers were already 100% effective. But yea Rogaine is a bit more high maintenance than just taking a pill. 

Besides hair transplants, literally the only thing I have to do for hairloss treatment is take Dutasteride every morning (which is an even stronger version of Fin mind you). Zero sides...

Exactly this ^ 

either you lose more hair permanently or you take the drug and slow that process. 

Consequences to each action are… take the drug and if you do somehow get side effects you can stop temporarily and try it again (You can even test your hormones before taking it and after x amount of time has passed).

Or you can consistently lose hair without doing anything about it. 

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

The only regret I have is not taking Finasteride 5 years ago. It would of saved me money and pain from going to bad clinics for hair transplant.. 

Although, hair transplant is still required for creating strong hairlines and bring out temple points.. but only at the right place

12 hours ago, NARMAK said:

It's funny the amount of guys saying they regret not tying it earlier. That's for me too. 

I just wish I’d known about it 15-20 year ago, I didn’t know anything existed to stop baldness.

I literally only found out when I researched HT’s 😢

On 6/11/2022 at 9:25 PM, AnxiousBeginner said:

If you experience the side effects then you can stop the medications. If not then you can continue with it. It will be beneficial in the long run. The drawback is that you will have to take it lifelong for the results to be maintained. Once you stop it, the results that have come due to the medications will fall off. Also, the baldness will progress further.

On 6/12/2022 at 1:55 AM, AnxiousBeginner said:

How old are you?