Tenting (cobblestoning) and pitting in recipient area 12 months post FUE

Hi, 

I’m 51 and was Norwood 4. I’m now 12 months post 2,200 grafts FUE and having some pretty substantial tenting at each follicle in the recipient area that is noticeable under direct light. 

My donor area is salt and pepper and sides of my scalp are white. My donor hairs are course. The transplant was mostly in the front 1/4 of my scalp and “fades” into the crown.  I have plenty of hair in the donor area for a second procedure but am very concerned that further scars would happen. 

At 6 months I was told the tenting would smooth out. At 12 months I returned to the clinic that performed the FUE and was told that the tenting was not noticeable and that my hair looks great. That’s it. Just move along. I don’t feel they care or accept responsibility for the tenting. The clinic is in the Atlanta area. 

I have not done any pre or post transplant minox or finast. I do take a “hair skin and nails”supplement that has tons of biotin. 

Went to another clinic and was told a second transplant was my only option. 

Looking to have a smooth scalp. Does anyone have any success with 1450 diode lasers or co2 fraxel lasers.  How about micro-needling (derma stamp) with radio frequency?

I’ve seen other posts on here that have said they were going to have a try at laser and or micro-needling  and unfortunately most of the posts end with no follow up on how the procedure turned out. 

Any recommendations or advice on how to smooth these bumps and pits would be greatly appreciated. I feel very uncomfortable the way my scalp looks and hopefully someone has some input on what has helped their situation or knows of solutions. 

Please help!

First photo below is pre FUE

D9DB97AA-FB1C-4740-89ED-C9F3A965E2A1.jpeg

and tenting after FUE

F69DFBB6-D3D9-41B4-A23E-E6DF7459604E.jpeg

414AF3D4-2318-4B4F-8860-31FBDB309347.jpeg

9AE4C94B-0765-4475-8E16-0946D5AEA381.jpeg

47A56420-A088-4E60-BB7F-6BB1E9F82239.jpeg

BBF28321-1AA0-4D30-8150-4764569B7BB1.jpeg

Edited by Dickie
Typos

• Administrators

Let me tag @DrTBarghouthi

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks @Melvin- Moderator

@Dickie Do you have immediate post surgery photos you can share? It may well be a skin type of thing or a graft placement technique. I’d like to see. 

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

Does his last name rhyme with “Pole?”

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

It may be best to have the grafts removed and re-done. Based on what Dr. Mwamba said last week on our podcast. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hey, not looking to drag the clinics name down.
     I’m really hopeful that someone can lead me to getting these bumps smoothed out.  I’d like to have my old self back even if I have no hair. These tenting follicles really do look noticeable under direct light and when my hair is wet. 

The issue, Dickie, isn't just skin texture. It looks like you've got quite a few doubles and triples and not enough singles. This creates a pluggy look. Thus the reason Melvin is suggesting removing the grafts and re-doing it - by someone with considerably more skill I'd suggest.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
17 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Yes who was the surgeon?

The reason I have asked this is so that you can help in preventing another person having to go through what you are experiencing now. Also you can be helping others who have this problem by this surgeon on how it can be fixed. All the best!

• Like 1

Those irregularities are most likely grafts placed flushed with the skin so that when skin heals, it contracts and gets pushed in further. That’s only one assumption. Skin type and even incision technique can cause it. 
I think a proper repair is what’s needed. Removing unsightly ones and adding density. Part of what you see is due to it being “see-through” and that’s what makes any skin irregularities obvious. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

1 hour ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Those irregularities are most likely grafts placed flushed with the skin so that when skin heals, it contracts and gets pushed in further. That’s only one assumption. Skin type and even incision technique can cause it. 
I think a proper repair is what’s needed. Removing unsightly ones and adding density. Part of what you see is due to it being “see-through” and that’s what makes any skin irregularities obvious. 

Removing the graft removes the ridging?

If they are scattered these can be removed and re implanted. Also adding density might disguise some of these and make it all hidden. 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

It appears that needles we used to create the recipient sites that were smaller in size than the circumference of the grafts…and when the sites heal, they contract and push the tips of the grafts upward causing the bumps…the reverse is true when the sites are larger than the peripheral size of the grafts and when healing occurs, pitting takes place.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 year later...