My clinic allowed me to use derma roller after 6 months, but I’d like to hear other opinions

So my clinic (HLC) allowed me to use DermaRoller after 6 months post op. 

I really want to give it a try, but I am a bit concerned, that

a.) I might harm the graft growth rate

b.) Could lead to scarring and make problems for an optional next transplant

What is your opinion on that?

@Melvin- Moderatorheard about Eugenix wanted to you to stop(or not start) DermaRoller, do you have more information ?

I wouldn't use the dermaroller on the recipient area until around the 1 year mark bro. 

I am not a big believer in dermarolling. I know some youtubers like Hairliciously and Matt Dominance advertise them but Kevin Mann made an excellent video on this very topic. Check it out. 

Dermarolling has very limited efficacy. At best it may slightly improve the absportion of topicals. 

Actually I even remember Dr. Ximena Villa in an interview with Mesiasss4,  Dr. Russell Knudsen from the Hairloss Show channel as well as Dr. John Diep mentionning that dermarolling may cause unecessary shedding and even permanent micro-scar tissue and hence is counterproductive because it creates an environnement where it is harder for grafts to survive in case of transplants. 

Again different doctors have different opinions but seems like most hair transplant surgeons are not huge fans of it. 

• Thanks 1

Didu,

Personally, I have very little faith that the derma roller will do anything for not only you but anybody who uses it. I understand the theory but, I’m not really convinced that it will help to thicken thinning hair nor regrow any new hair.

That said, I also don’t believe that the derma roller will harm your natural or transplanted hair since you are six months postop. But, if you have any concerns or you think you will lose sleep over whether or not it might cause any harm, I don’t think it’s worth using until you’re at least one year to 18 months which is when your hair transplant is fully mature.

In my opinion, it’s always better to err on the side of caution and since your hair transplant is as sure of a thing as you can get to growing new hair, why do anything that you are concerned will jeopardize that even if the risks are minimal.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thank y’all for your answers. I think I rather don’t use the roller. In the near future.

16 minutes ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Why risk it? Too many unknowns. If wait until all growth has come in personally.

also, what are you trying to accomplish by derma rolling your recipient (I assume)?

Well, I stopped using Fin/Dut due to sides after my first transplant for 2 years, a little of the native hair in the recipient miniaturised. 

I am back in the game with some pretty strong anti androgens which don’t give me sides like Fin or Dut.

I have a feeling that I recovered 90 percent, but want to push it to the limits. 

On 5/6/2022 at 10:28 PM, What is your agenda here said:

I wouldn't use the dermaroller on the recipient area until around the 1 year mark bro. 

I am not a big believer in dermarolling. I know some youtubers like Hairliciously and Matt Dominance advertise them but Kevin Mann made an excellent video on this very topic. Check it out. 

Dermarolling has very limited efficacy. At best it may slightly improve the absportion of topicals. 

Actually I even remember Dr. Ximena Villa in an interview with Mesiasss4,  Dr. Russell Knudsen from the Hairloss Show channel as well as Dr. John Diep mentionning that dermarolling may cause unecessary shedding and even permanent micro-scar tissue and hence is counterproductive because it creates an environnement where it is harder for grafts to survive in case of transplants. 

Again different doctors have different opinions but seems like most hair transplant surgeons are not huge fans of it. 

Well that’s the thing, the micro scar tissue is something I want to avoid at all costs, If I will get done a last transplant this might cause bad growth. 

thanks!

On 5/6/2022 at 9:28 PM, lack of bludflow said:

So even though there is plenty literature and research on the topic showing benefits, dermarolling is not good for you?

I am totally fine with people who decide to give it a try. 👍 

Plenty of litterature showing benefits ? Haven't seen that much to be honest.  Check out the Mann's video. 

I just think it's overhyped. Actually most reputable hair transplants doctors and trichologists agree it has very little efficacy. 

Like I said it does increase the absportion of topical minoxidil and anti androgens. 

But dermarolling on its own doesn't do much and doing too much could be counterproductive and harmful. 

Very negative reading.. now I am worried I have caused micro scarring that's going to inhibit growth of my upcoming surgery.

I have been doing it once a week maximum with a 1.5mm roller..

Yesterday I went a bit more aggressive and had some slight bleeding spots.. hopefully I haven't messed up anything in advance of my transplant

Edited by Aslitarcan sucks

2 hours ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

Very negative reading.. now I am worried I have caused micro scarring that's going to inhibit growth of my upcoming surgery.

I have been doing it once a week maximum with a 1.5mm roller..

Yesterday I went a bit more aggressive and had some slight bleeding spots.. hopefully I haven't messed up anything in advance of my transplant

Nah it's not that bad don't worry

how often have you been microneedling ? 

When is your transplant scheduled ? 

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

You cut the gel capsule and use the liquid?

yes, you pour the content in the liquid. Better to use powder capsules but if the capsules are liquid is fine too.

And apply it daily, and every 15 days derma rolling for 3 months and then only once a month

Edited by JoselitoElGallo
  • Like 1