Unhappy with Eugenix transplant

AJ_HT

5 minutes ago, SD1984 said:

I don't think anything went truly "wrong" here at all other than a bit of planning. The design of the hairline and the growth were all great. The problem lies in the amount of grafts chosen for the area. I'd say you should have been given 3000-3200, not 2500. It definitely sucks to have to go back for a "touch up" even if it is free of charge (i.e. flight costs), but I feel you would be happy in the long term if you do. 

Whatever went wrong, I'm just tired of constantly putting efforts in trying to improve my hair, and failing every single time!

It's not even about the flight costs, as I'm from India. But so much time, effort and money being spent for all these procedures and medications and still being dissatisfied, makes one question the assurance of another procedure, and feel whether all of it is even worth it 😞

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ryan Daniel said:

AJ,  correct me if im wrong. 

Why didn't you ask Dr Pradeep to put those complementary on the frontal area rather than mid scalp? 

Like I said, it was only 8 months since the procedure then, and while my mid-scalp was literally empty, my frontal area was improving, and results seemed okay for month 8. So instead of getting paranoid, I trusted that it'll look good by month 12 and wasn't anxious about it. So I got the mid-scalp done because it was quite bad, even for month 8. Only later, I realized that even the frontal area isn't what I had expected.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AJ_HT said:

Like I said, it was only 8 months since the procedure then, and while my mid-scalp was literally empty, my frontal area was improving, and results seemed okay for month 8. So instead of getting paranoid, I trusted that it'll look good by month 12 and wasn't anxious about it. So I got the mid-scalp done because it was quite bad, even for month 8. Only later, I realized that even the frontal area isn't what I had expected.

Hmmmmm ok, I apologize for not reading everything. Im kinda on the phone and rushing around the city. 

At what month are you now?  

Also, im surprised they allowed themselves to do work on you while still being in month 8. 

What are your future plans now? Wait and hear the next step from the clinic? 

I am truly interested to know about your case 

1 minute ago, Ryan Daniel said:

Hmmmmm ok, I apologize for not reading everything. Im kinda on the phone and rushing around the city. 

At what month are you now?  

Also, im surprised they allowed themselves to do work on you while still being in month 8. 

What are your future plans now? Wait and hear the next step from the clinic? 

I am truly interested to know about your case 

From the first procedure, today is month 15. From the second, it's month 7.

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do. Don't have the mental strength to opt for another procedure now. I'll probably try and see if minoxidil helps improve the density, but not sure if it will, considering these are mostly transplanted hair, which are anyway thick. I'll just wait and see if I can muster the strength to opt for another surgery. Doesn't seem likely at least in the near future though.

• Administrators

Dear Community,

I have spoken to the clinic in great detail, including Dr. Priyadarshini and Dr. Sethi, regarding this patients case. The patient went in for a repair on December 2020, after having a poor result at a low-cost clinic. The patient was a difficult case, with fine hair, a compromised donor area, and diffuse thinning. At the time of the first procedure, the clinic planned a strategy of focusing primary density in the frontal hairline, moving upward with lower density towards the midscalp. The patient was satisfied and agreed with this strategy. The clinic planned for 2,500 grafts because that is what they felt they could extract from his compromised donor. The patient later complained that this was a miscalculation, but that is what could be extracted from his donor without overharvesting. After 7 months of his first procedure, the patient began complaining about the density in his midscalp. The patient advised the clinic that he was satisfied with the front, but was concerned about the midscalp- this was proven via text messages which were shared to me. 

The patient returned to the clinic in August 2021, for a free touch-up to the midscalp, even though the main area that was treated was the hairline and not the midscalp. At the time of the touch-up, the patient did not mention being dissatisfied with the frontal zone. His main concern was the midscalp. The clinic performed a free touch-up and treated the area where he requested additional density. 

The clinic has shared the photos below, which indeed show a satisfactory repair to the hairline. Furthermore, they have advised me that they last spoke to the patient in December, in which, they asked him to return to the clinic for an assessment, but he declined, as he did not have the time. He was to contact them back to schedule a time to return, which was not done. The clinic contacted him again on March 2nd, but he didn't respond.

Moreover, at the time of the touch-up, the patient refused to sign the consent form, which specified that results cannot be guaranteed and that multiple procedures may be required to achieve desired density. The patient only signed the consent for surgery.

My Thoughts

After hearing the details of what transpired, I believe the clinic acted fairly, and, in my opinion, offered a free touch-up to an area which wasn't the primary focus from the start. The patient has not shared any photos of his midscalp, which was the area that was treated for free the second time. It appears he now wants another free touch-up to the hairline, but failed to mention any dissatisfaction during his free touch-up. Moreover, It's hard to judge photos taken in different lighting and angles because it's not a true comparison.  In conclusion, I think this is just a case of needing additional surgeries due to the fact of having progressive hair loss and fine hair. I don't believe any patient should expect a clinic to continually perform free touch-ups when one- they did not specify this during their 'free touch-up' and two, knowing that a repair will not achieve perfect density for various reasons, including scarring, decreased blood flow, and in this patients case, having fine hair. 

9E6EF0ED-19F2-44C1-BE6B-1DB706D7561E.JPG

744b7286-8f0a-4566-9513-32560d240397 2.jpg

1499c3d6-a5de-462a-abd4-225f75022e4c 2.jpg

IMG_6697.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Dear Community,

I have spoken to the clinic in great detail, including Dr. Priyadarshini and Dr. Sethi, regarding this patients case. The patient went in for a repair on December 2020, after having a poor result at a low-cost clinic. The patient was a difficult case, with fine hair, a compromised donor area, and diffuse thinning. At the time of the first procedure, the clinic planned a strategy of focusing primary density in the frontal hairline, moving upward with lower density towards the midscalp. The patient was satisfied and agreed with this strategy. The clinic planned for 2,500 grafts because that is what they felt they could extract from his compromised donor. The patient later complained that this was a miscalculation, but that is what could be extracted from his donor without overharvesting. After 7 months of his first procedure, the patient began complaining about the density in his midscalp. The patient advised the clinic that he was satisfied with the front, but was concerned about the midscalp- this was proven via text messages which were shared to me. 

The patient returned to the clinic in August 2021, for a free touch-up to the midscalp, even though the main area that was treated was the hairline and not the midscalp. At the time of the touch-up, the patient did not mention being dissatisfied with the frontal zone. His main concern was the midscalp. The clinic performed a free touch-up and treated the area where he requested additional density. 

The clinic has shared the photos below, which indeed show a satisfactory repair to the hairline. Furthermore, they have advised me that they last spoke to the patient in December, in which, they asked him to return to the clinic for an assessment, but he declined, as he did not have the time. He was to contact them back to schedule a time to return, which was not done. The clinic contacted him again on March 2nd, but he didn't respond.

Moreover, at the time of the touch-up, the patient refused to sign the consent form, which specified that results cannot be guaranteed and that multiple procedures may be required to achieve desired density. The patient only signed the consent for surgery.

My Thoughts

After hearing the details of what transpired, I believe the clinic acted fairly, and, in my opinion, offered a free touch-up to an area which wasn't the primary focus from the start. The patient has not shared any photos of his midscalp, which was the area that was treated for free the second time. It appears he now wants another free touch-up to the hairline, but failed to mention any dissatisfaction during his free touch-up. Moreover, It's hard to judge photos taken in different lighting and angles because it's not a true comparison.  In conclusion, I think this is just a case of needing additional surgeries due to the fact of having progressive hair loss and fine hair. I don't believe any patient should expect a clinic to continually perform free touch-ups when one- they did not specify this during their 'free touch-up' and two, knowing that a repair will not achieve perfect density for various reasons, including scarring, decreased blood flow, and in this patients case, having fine hair. 

IMG_6697.jpg

Hey Melvin, 

Whilst i appreciate you taking the time to go to the clinic and find all the information. 

My only concern is that the patients frontal hairline density which is even what you say was focused on doesn't seem to have yielded an acceptable result. 

The OP even stated he never mentioned the frontal hairline because he was 8 months post-op and still awaiting final results for the frontal hairline to mature which is a fair comment and reasonable for a patient. Even you would have to agree a patient can grow and mature over 4 months from 8-12 which would be unreasonable to sometimes complain within for a late grower. Even your own YouTube video mentioned people going from 9 months to 12 months results which looked worlds apart. 

A patient not signing a paper that makes them agree legally that they should expect a sub par result as a possibility shouldn't even be used as a point. No clinic in the world should make a patient sign such a thing imo and a clinic should be taking every care to ensure a positive outcome. I understand the patient was a repair case and of course there's risk with that, but Eugenix have been knocking it out the park. 

All your post imo has done so far is reinforce via clinic pictures that the before and after still show a lack of density in the frontal hairline. 

Eugenix are building a reputation on repair cases and in the interest of fairness to OP, i do not feel he is saying anything derogatory about clinic negligence or anything like that. Merely that the result of the procedures and the touch up did not match with what the expectations were perhaps set by the clinic as a desired outcome for him. 

If the clinic felt 2500 grafts was the maximum grafts possible to extract, i do now wonder whether the conversations had with OP adequately explained the outcome. Even the before picture you posted shows a band around the front almost 1cm in front of the area. I'm unsure why Eugenix didn't look to reinforce the existing hairline, refining it and then midscalp as we've seen them do so many times before.

I think there's factors at play on both sides but right now, i feel OP is here for support and a resolution and we should try help him here as that's what this community was founded on the principles of. I appreciate Eugenix is favoured on here and many members have had great results. Heck, i'm planned to have a procedure with them for that very reason, because i believe they are on balance generally great.

However, right now OP needs a little bit of help and i think we can maybe try bridge things a bit and see what we can do with you connecting to Eugenix and maybe as a community getting to the heart of the matter. 

They say truth is like a coin. You have two sides. 

• Like 10

• Administrators
6 hours ago, NARMAK said:

Hey Melvin, 

Whilst i appreciate you taking the time to go to the clinic and find all the information. 

My only concern is that the patients frontal hairline density which is even what you say was focused on doesn't seem to have yielded an acceptable result. 

The OP even stated he never mentioned the frontal hairline because he was 8 months post-op and still awaiting final results for the frontal hairline to mature which is a fair comment and reasonable for a patient. Even you would have to agree a patient can grow and mature over 4 months from 8-12 which would be unreasonable to sometimes complain within for a late grower. Even your own YouTube video mentioned people going from 9 months to 12 months results which looked worlds apart. 

A patient not signing a paper that makes them agree legally that they should expect a sub par result as a possibility shouldn't even be used as a point. No clinic in the world should make a patient sign such a thing imo and a clinic should be taking every care to ensure a positive outcome. I understand the patient was a repair case and of course there's risk with that, but Eugenix have been knocking it out the park. 

All your post imo has done so far is reinforce via clinic pictures that the before and after still show a lack of density in the frontal hairline. 

Eugenix are building a reputation on repair cases and in the interest of fairness to OP, i do not feel he is saying anything derogatory about clinic negligence or anything like that. Merely that the result of the procedures and the touch up did not match with what the expectations were perhaps set by the clinic as a desired outcome for him. 

If the clinic felt 2500 grafts was the maximum grafts possible to extract, i do now wonder whether the conversations had with OP adequately explained the outcome. Even the before picture you posted shows a band around the front almost 1cm in front of the area. I'm unsure why Eugenix didn't look to reinforce the existing hairline, refining it and then midscalp as we've seen them do so many times before.

I think there's factors at play on both sides but right now, i feel OP is here for support and a resolution and we should try help him here as that's what this community was founded on the principles of. I appreciate Eugenix is favoured on here and many members have had great results. Heck, i'm planned to have a procedure with them for that very reason, because i believe they are on balance generally great.

However, right now OP needs a little bit of help and i think we can maybe try bridge things a bit and see what we can do with you connecting to Eugenix and maybe as a community getting to the heart of the matter. 

They say truth is like a coin. You have two sides. 

I disagree, I think the hairline grew in well for the number of grafts transplanted. Again, 2,500 grafts to cover half of the scalp isn’t going to yield miraculous density, especially with fine hair- this is the reality of surgery. Anyone who undergoes surgery should understand the reality. 

image.jpeg

You cannot expect the clinic to provide more density than what they transplant. The issue here is that given his compromised donor, this is what could be extracted. OP is upset and feels this was a miscalculation, but in reality, this is what could be extracted in one sitting without over harvesting. 

What should be expected from the clinic is to yield the hairs that were transplanted. I do believe that the 2,500 grafts grew well, or as well as they could on a scarred scalp. But, even so, the clinic did offer a free touch-up, in which the patient himself stated he was satisfied with the front. So, should the clinic continually perform free touch-ups when the patient states they are dissatisfied? I don’t believe that is fair, nor do I believe any clinic should operate that way. The clinic offered to see the patient in the office and count the hairs that were transplanted, if any hairs of the initial 2,500 grafts that were paid for did not grow, they have stated they would replace them. I feel that is more than fair. 

Again, OP states there has been no contact, but he was supposed to call to schedule an in-person visit, and did not return their call on March 2nd, indeed there are two sides to every story, which is why I provided the clinics side, as we have already heard OP’s. 

Also, we have yet to see the midscalp, which was where he had the touch-up, and he is 7 months from the procedure. These are the facts we have. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Dear Community,

My Thoughts

IMG_6697.jpg

That's why we have to respect surgens who decline certain cases, they know from experience if patient will be satisfied with final product. There are many threads where some people complain  surgen rejected them, truth is if they are top tier doctors, you have to respect that or accept gamble outcome somewhere else.

14 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I disagree, I think the hairline grew in well for the number of grafts transplanted. Again, 2,500 grafts to cover half of the scalp isn’t going to yield miraculous density, especially with fine hair- this is the reality of surgery. Anyone who undergoes surgery should understand the reality. 

image.jpeg

You cannot expect the clinic to provide more density than what they transplant. The issue here is that given his compromised donor, this is what could be extracted. OP is upset and feels this was a miscalculation, but in reality, this is what could be extracted in one sitting without over harvesting. 

What should be expected from the clinic is to yield the hairs that were transplanted. I do believe that the 2,500 grafts grew well, or as well as they could on a scarred scalp. But, even so, the clinic did offer a free touch-up, in which the patient himself stated he was satisfied with the front. So, should the clinic continually perform free touch-ups when the patient states they are dissatisfied? I don’t believe that is fair, nor do I believe any clinic should operate that way. The clinic offered to see the patient in the office and count the hairs that were transplanted, if any hairs of the initial 2,500 grafts that were paid for did not grow, they have stated they would replace them. I feel that is more than fair. 

Again, OP states there has been no contact, but he was supposed to call to schedule an in-person visit, and did not returned their call on March 2nd, indeed there are two sides to every story, which is why I provided the clinics side, as we have already heard OP’s. 

Also, we have yet to see the midscalp, which was where he had the touch-up, and he is 7 months from the procedure. These are the facts we have. 

Thank you for your reply and i don't believe that anybody should expect a free touch up everytime and of course with fine hair, reasonable expectations should be set.

However again i would refer to the lines draw on the before picture which imo for an admitted compromised donor maybe should have been a bit less. 

Perhaps the OP mentioning no contact from Eugenix and your information from the clinic advising there had been will yield a response from OP himself. I cannot speak for OP as you can imagine but i do think it's reasonable to maybe accommodate what Eugenix have offered that if a graft didn't yield when counted they will offer a touch up. 

I'm just hoping we can get a happy ending for all involved. I don't think there's any malicious intent on any side and i just like to see a story like this end well i guess.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

a compromised donor area

Nor was my donor density a problem .... I have dense, thick hair at the back of my head

There seems to be a fundamental difference of opinion/misunderstand.

Can we see photos see photos of the donor pre and post surgery?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, NARMAK said:

Thank you for your reply and i don't believe that anybody should expect a free touch up everytime and of course with fine hair, reasonable expectations should be set.

However again i would refer to the lines draw on the before picture which imo for an admitted compromised donor maybe should have been a bit less. 

Perhaps the OP mentioning no contact from Eugenix and your information from the clinic advising there had been will yield a response from OP himself. I cannot speak for OP as you can imagine but i do think it's reasonable to maybe accommodate what Eugenix have offered that if a graft didn't yield when counted they will offer a touch up. 

I'm just hoping we can get a happy ending for all involved. I don't think there's any malicious intent on any side and i just like to see a story like this end well i guess.

The hairline is agreed to by the patient himself. Again, as patients we have the right to say “no” raise the hairline, or “yes” continue. I don’t see how this falls solely on the clinic.

I believe asking the patient to come in for an in-person evaluation, and the fact they’re willing to count the hairs that were paid for, and replace any hair that hasn’t grown shows they’re being reasonable and fair. 

Furthermore, your comment about not requiring a patient to sign a consent where the surgery isn’t guaranteed sets a dangerous precedent. For one, any ethical clinic will have patients sign this form. If a clinic isn’t providing this notice to patients it is a problem. Hair loss is progressive, hair transplants are not guaranteed, and multiple procedures are required for desired density. Again, these are facts.

Refusal to acknowledge this falls on the patient, if they refuse to sign. No one should expect to achieve the density of 4,000 grafts when they paid for 2,500. Nor should a clinic be forced to provide such density. The only thing we should expect is that the clinic provide the number of grafts that were paid for at the time of surgery. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

View my thread

Every business should determine how to handle a dissatisfied customer. It's unreasonable to expect that every perceived flaw by the recipient should be corrected by the clinic free-of-charge. Eugenix provided additional grafts. Seems like they also provided an opportunity for OP to discuss his concerns. I can understand OP being upset - I would be, too. And I can understand if OP doesn't want to remedy his circumstance through the clinic that he is at issue with. For me, what is important is if the clinic in question is ethically responsive to a legitimate concern. If the patient chooses not to exercise options provided by the clinic to remedy the situation, the clinic should not be held to account.

I hope OP is able to find another clinic who can beef up the hairline. A few hundred grafts should do it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NARMAK said:

A patient not signing a paper that makes them agree legally that they should expect a sub par result as a possibility shouldn't even be used as a point. No clinic in the world should make a patient sign such a thing imo and a clinic should be taking every care to ensure a positive outcome.

I must agree with this. This would absolve a clinic of any responsibility regardless of the standard of their work. 

Are patients made aware they are required to sign this document in advance of arriving at the clinic for their procedure?

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, AA1989 said:

There seems to be a fundamental difference of opinion/misunderstand.

Can we see photos see photos of the donor pre and post surgery?

I don’t have photos, the OP is more than free to share photos, but even so, who are we to say the clinic could’ve extracted more? End of the day were laymens, it is up to the surgeon to decide how many grafts they can extract safely. 

• Like 1

View my thread

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, AA1989 said:

I must agree with this. This would absolve a clinic of any responsibility regardless of the standard of their work. 

Are patients made aware they are required to sign this document in advance of arriving at the clinic for their procedure?

Absolutely! In fact, I have stressed this on MULTIPLE occasions. Where are you guys getting that surgeries are guaranteed? There is no surgery that is guaranteed, and in fact, the only places that guarantee surgeries are black market hair mills. 

Every surgery is done with the acceptance that the results may not turn as desired. This is the gamble we accept as patients. If you can’t accept this, best not to get surgery. That’s what I’ve stressed over and over, but perhaps I should make a video.

Now, this doesn’t mean the clinic is absolved. The clinic must provide the number of hairs that the patient paid for, but if they provide those numbers, it is not their fault if it falls short of the patients expectations, or if the patient needs additional surgeries to achieve their desired appearance.

• Like 2

View my thread

10 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I don’t have photos, the OP is more than free to share photos, but even so, who are we to say the clinic could’ve extracted more? End of the day were laymens, it is up to the surgeon to decide how many grafts they can extract safely. 

It would be helpful if the clinic could provide their high quality pre/post surgery photos to help members and the patient understand how they arrived at their diagnosis of a compromised donor.

14 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Absolutely! In fact, I have stressed this on MULTIPLE occasions. Where are you guys getting that surgeries are guaranteed? There is no surgery that is guaranteed, and in fact, the only places that guarantee surgeries are black market hair mills. 

Every surgery is done with the acceptance that the results may not turn as desired. This is the gamble we accept as patients. If you can’t accept this, best not to get surgery. That’s what I’ve stressed over and over, but perhaps I should make a video.

Now, this doesn’t mean the clinic is absolved. The clinic must provide the number of hairs that the patient paid for, but if they provide those numbers, it is not their fault if it falls short of the patients expectations, or of the patient needs additional surgeries to achieve their desired appearance.

Again, for the benefit of clarity, are the documents that require a signature emailed in advance of attending/booking a procedure? This is important for transparency. It seems like the patient was presented with a document he wasn't prepared to sign. 

excuse me, but why didn't the clinic decide to take follicular units from the beard as well, given that his donor area was compromised and according to them he could only provide 2500 u.f.?  I seem to have understood that Eugenix's surgeons are good in the extraction and implantation of beard grafts and in some cases, such as that of @Gatsby. they have also taken from other parts of the body.

• Like 1

To the OP, if you haven’t done so, go purchase some hair fibers as this may provide you with a satisfying cosmetic fix without having to endure another surgery.

Fibers can do wonders!

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

It appears he now wants another free touch-up to the hairline

Furthermore, they have advised me that they last spoke to the patient in December, in which, they asked him to return to the clinic for an assessment, but he declined, as he did not have the time. He was to contact them back to schedule a time to return, which was not done. The clinic contacted him again on March 2nd, but he didn't respond.

@AJ_HT Can you clarify, do you want another free touch-up as Melvin suggested? If so, why have you not responded/returned to the clinic? This position seems at odds.

If you are not looking for any additional free work,

What do you feel the clinic could have done differently?

What would be a satisfactory outcome to this thread?

@AJ_HT I want to say it takes a lot of courage to present your case and listen to feedback. While you are unhappy with the results, you have made progress.  If you have additional donor capacity, you have options for the future.

1 hour ago, Egy said:

excuse me, but why didn't the clinic decide to take follicular units from the beard as well, given that his donor area was compromised and according to them he could only provide 2500 u.f.?  I seem to have understood that Eugenix's surgeons are good in the extraction and implantation of beard grafts and in some cases, such as that of @Gatsby. they have also taken from other parts of the body.

The clinic did use beard grafts (see OP's 1st post)

about 300 were taken from my beard, and transplanted in my midscalp.

This does lend weight to the clinics position that the donor area was depleted. Why else would they use beard grafts?