Day 18 - Smacked my head and small amount of blood

Hi all, I was getting into bed and accidently smacked my head on the fabric covered head board of the bed.

I noticed a small red spot on my head when I went to the bathroom. It looks like it was bleeding but nothing was absorbed when I dabbed the wound, right after it happened. It is also hurting a little. Its Day 18 now after the HT, almost 3 weeks. Could i have damaged some grafts? :(

The first photo is extremely zoomed in.

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-03 at 1.02.20 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-03 at 1.05.11 AM.jpeg

Edited by spacemanspiff

3 minutes ago, JC71 said:

The grafts are well secured, they would need be surgically removed at this point.

This exactly. After Day 10 they are impossible to remove without medical intervention.

Still, I would be irrationally anxious about this just the same 😅

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JC71 said:

The grafts are well secured, they would need be surgically removed at this point. So no it definitely should be fine! 👍🏽 

23 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Strange but true, if anybody wants to increase the likelihood of hitting their head ? Get a hair transplant.. 

Haha, true that.

21 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

This exactly. After Day 10 they are impossible to remove without medical intervention.

Still, I would be irrationally anxious about this just the same 😅

Understood that they are impossible to remove at this point, I was more worried that I could have damaged the new grafts and they will not grow in.  Obviously, It is impossible to say if they were damaged and will not grow back. I wont know for at least 6 months :(  I guess the good thing is it would be (hopefully) a max of 4-5 grafts that could be affected by this damage as the bloody area is quite small. I just hope the surrounding area isn't affected as I slammed my entire front of the recipient area into the headboard. :( :( :( 

I am really disappointed in myself. I was extremely careful the first 2 weeks but have been more relaxed the past 2-3 days and this happens.

• Like 1

• Administrators

You’re fine at day 18

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The grafts are full settled in after 18 days. 

To be honest with you, I am more concerned about all the flaking and dryness on the scalp and around the hair shaft.... 

Be sure to keep your scalp clean.  A hydrated scalp allows good oxygen and healthy growth for hair 

6 hours ago, Ryan Daniel said:

The grafts are full settled in after 18 days. 

To be honest with you, I am more concerned about all the flaking and dryness on the scalp and around the hair shaft.... 

Be sure to keep your scalp clean.  A hydrated scalp allows good oxygen and healthy growth for hair 

I think the conditioner trick Melvin shows to wash away that sort of scab residue would probably help OP. 

It's a fear of mine because i get a dry itchy scalp often, that i am using T-Gel to manage as well as Nizoral, whether hopefully saline spray will do the job for the initial days and then after that, when i might be able to return to using Nizoral. 

@Melvin- Moderator any thoughts?

Usually they say stick to like baby shampoo but when could we post-op look to start using Nizoral and T-gel, regular shampoos etc.?

Spaceman 

While it’s certainly aggravating to hit your head and even more nerve-racking to see a little bit of blood, at 18 days postop, the only way to remove a transplanted hair with a follicle intact would be by undergoing another surgical procedure.  So you have nothing to worry about regarding losing a graft at this point.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, NARMAK said:

I think the conditioner trick Melvin shows to wash away that sort of scab residue would probably help OP. 

It's a fear of mine because i get a dry itchy scalp often, that i am using T-Gel to manage as well as Nizoral, whether hopefully saline spray will do the job for the initial days and then after that, when i might be able to return to using Nizoral. 

@Melvin- Moderator any thoughts?

Usually they say stick to like baby shampoo but when could we post-op look to start using Nizoral and T-gel, regular shampoos etc.?

I was given itch medication to alleviate the itching. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I was given itch medication to alleviate the itching. 

What about if you generally have a build up of Dandruff? Any indication when i could safely probably start using regular shampoos again? 

Nizoral and T-Gel as well as a conditioner are probably the go to stuff i use regularly. 

2 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Spaceman 

While it’s certainly aggravating to hit your head and even more nerve-racking to see a little bit of blood, at 18 days postop, the only way to remove a transplanted hair with a follicle intact would be by undergoing another surgical procedure.  So you have nothing to worry about regarding losing a graft at this point.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Thanks everyone for all the replies. As everyone has said, the hair follicle likely didnt fall out.

Can the follicle get damaged though from a bad trauma and therefore not grow properly? I guess that would be my main concern

12 minutes ago, spacemanspiff said:

Thanks everyone for all the replies. As everyone has said, the hair follicle likely didnt fall out.

Can the follicle get damaged though from a bad trauma and therefore not grow properly? I guess that would be my main concern

Very, very unlikely! They are buried deep! I know it’s easy for me to say but try and stop worrying. Even in the very unlikely event a couple don’t grow ? It’s not going to make any difference In your overall result. 

• Thanks 1

This is the response from HLC:

The answer of doctor is 
It looks like a very small area is affected, like 2-3 grafts at most, I hope it didn’t affect deeply but even if so , it is a small area and it can be touched up. They said I likely lost 2-3 grafts for sure but hopefully the surrounding area isnt damaged.

Not the best answer I was hoping for but nothing I can do about it now. I am also not clear if the doctor knew I am on day 18 when it happened.