Bad hair transplant! Horrible experience

Jay00

Hello everyone,

so I had a FUE surgery last year which went horribly wrong. First of all, I am 28 years old I had full hair (a lot hair). My problem was the front, my hairline was not so great so I needed a little bit of fixing. After watching some YouTube videos and scrolling through instagram, I ended up choosing Dr Ziering (terrible mistake). I was very naive and went along with the surgery. Dr Ziering wasn’t present during the surgery and later I realized the assistants were all amateurs. Anyways, after the surgery not only I didn’t get the result I was expecting (fixing my hairline), I also lost alot of hair in the back of my head (donor area). This is really causing me depression and stress. Please if there’s a way to fix the donor area or a doctor who can help repair my hair, drop your comments down below. Thank you

8ADC170F-4045-4D80-88F3-2CD2E3899ED1.jpeg

E1C0BAD1-5C55-462C-8A27-BBD45696A2FC.jpeg

B0B46921-9D40-446D-9463-88259216BAA9.jpeg

9C8C667D-29B4-446E-BCCA-03F2F6A23A54.jpeg

1FDD3373-2555-489C-80E8-E1E0EE70133D.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

It can be hard enough to find the right clinic to perform any hair transplant let alone one that involves the intricacies of afro hair. Very few clinics that can perform a successful procedure if not fully tenured having had multiple procedures with afro hair. When did you have this procedure done? If it was done recently, it is tough to know if it's shock loss or overharvesting. You would have to wait it out on both the recipient area and donor to see how things progress.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jay00 said:

Hello everyone,

so I had a FUE surgery last year which went horribly wrong. First of all, I am 28 years old I had full hair (a lot hair). My problem was the front, my hairline was not so great so I needed a little bit of fixing. After watching some YouTube videos and scrolling through instagram, I ended up choosing Dr Ziering (terrible mistake). I was very naive and went along with the surgery. Dr Ziering wasn’t present during the surgery and later I realized the assistants were all amateurs. Anyways, after the surgery not only I didn’t get the result I was expecting (fixing my hairline), I also lost alot of hair in the back of my head (donor area). This is really causing me depression and stress. Please if there’s a way to fix the donor area or a doctor who can help repair my hair, drop your comments down below. Thank you

8ADC170F-4045-4D80-88F3-2CD2E3899ED1.jpeg

E1C0BAD1-5C55-462C-8A27-BBD45696A2FC.jpeg

B0B46921-9D40-446D-9463-88259216BAA9.jpeg

9C8C667D-29B4-446E-BCCA-03F2F6A23A54.jpeg

1FDD3373-2555-489C-80E8-E1E0EE70133D.jpeg

dr ziering is like that celebrity doctor who did tyga and tory lanez transplant? im surprised he would give a bad result especially from his pricing. 

it could be shock loss could you tell us more like how many grafts, time the procedure happened and before pics etc

14 minutes ago, MazAB said:

It can be hard enough to find the right clinic to perform any hair transplant let alone one that involves the intricacies of afro hair. Very few clinics that can perform a successful procedure if not fully tenured having had multiple procedures with afro hair. When did you have this procedure done? If it was done recently, it is tough to know if it's shock loss or overharvesting. You would have to wait it out on both the recipient area and donor to see how things progress.  

It was done March 2021. I’m more concerned about the donor area than my hairline. This is awful 

3 minutes ago, mmokin said:

dr ziering is like that celebrity doctor who did tyga and tory lanez transplant? im surprised he would give a bad result especially from his pricing. 

it could be shock loss could you tell us more like how many grafts, time the procedure happened and before pics etc

Yes it is his clinic. His prices are super high. It was actually one of the other doctors who work in his clinic. The surgery was done March 2021 

3 minutes ago, Jay00 said:

Yes it is his clinic. His prices are super high. It was actually one of the other doctors who work in his clinic. The surgery was done March 2021 

how many grafts? and what was the before looking like

• Valued Contributor

Hey @Jay00 you have found this forum like myself and so many others after having a botched surgery (or more) instead of before surgery. You are not alone. If it has been one year I would look at surgeons like like Dr Basanga, Dr Mwamba, Dr Lupunzala and others listed on the forum. You can be repaired and it may not ease the hurt but luckily you don't look too bad. Your Afrocentric hair is in your favour. Wishing you all the best.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Hey @Jay00 you have found this forum like myself and so many others after having a botched surgery (or more) instead of before surgery. You are not alone. If it has been one year I would look at surgeons like like Dr Basanga, Dr Mwamba, Dr Lupunzala and others listed on the forum. You can be repaired and it may not ease the hurt but luckily you don't look too bad. Your Afrocentric hair is in your favour. Wishing you all the best.

Thank you very much pal. I will definitely look into the doctors u just named. But yeah I wish I found this forum before my first surgery. If u don’t mind me askin, we’re you able to fix the bad surgery you had in the first place?

Sorry this happened to you, I agree it looks repairable but you need a top Dr. 

I'd look hard at Dr. Bisanga for this repair. He seems really experienced with your hair type. 

Good Luck!

Edited by JoeMan

never heard of this Dr...but chosing a doctor based off social media especially youtube or instagram is a huge red flag....sure it looks great and all but that is marketing and all its meant is to draw attention and new clients ...and they won....good news is this is fixable like the others are saying, Mwamba and Bisanga seems to be doing great repairs good luck

10 minutes ago, Gokuhairline said:

never heard of this Dr...but chosing a doctor based off social media especially youtube or instagram is a huge red flag....sure it looks great and all but that is marketing and all its meant is to draw attention and new clients ...and they won....good news is this is fixable like the others are saying, Mwamba and Bisanga seems to be doing great repairs good luck

He did Tory lanez and tyga transplant 

18 minutes ago, Gokuhairline said:

Yea one of the worst decisions in my life. I am so angry at this doctor, words can’t even describe how I feel. But for sure I will look into these two doctors and fix this ugly look :(

I'm sorry about your experience. I have heard bad things about Dr. Z but seems like his marketing tactics work to bring in new patients. I have a few questions:

1.) How many grafts was the surgery?

2.) have you contact the clinic about getting a full or partial refund? This would be the first step imo to at least get some compensation for the ruined grafts/donor area that you will never get back. 

Also, I a surprised Dr Diep or Dr Umar haven't been mention in this thread yet. Both have a large case of African American patients. Dr Diep's cases can be seen below. I heard he has a long wait list but the wait should be worth it. I have a surgery scheduled for 2023 with one of the top doctors in the US and would prefer to wait for the best/right doctor to converse my donor area rather then rush into something and feel unsure about it. 

His full library of surgeries can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/user/hairtransplantmd/videos

Dr Umar's website can be found here along with his youtube channel

And just as a F.Y.I. I am not associated with Dr Diep or Umar in any way or form. Just a fellow hair loss sufferer who has done extensive research over the past 4-5 years and noticed an array of African American patients that Dr Diep and Umar have worked on. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Dillpickle123 said:

He did Tory lanez and tyga transplant 

yeah and they both got bad results , you can tell when tory lanez when that interview it would turn out bad...

37 minutes ago, Jay00 said:

Yea one of the worst decisions in my life. I am so angry at this doctor, words can’t even describe how I feel. But for sure I will look into these two doctors and fix this ugly look :(

its ok, you live and learn now focus on repair

Dr. Glenn Charles in Florida does consistently excellent work with Afro hair and repair. Dr. Mwamba is great too and I think he's opened an office in Atlanta. 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

1 hour ago, stephcurry30 said:

I'm sorry about your experience. I have heard bad things about Dr. Z but seems like his marketing tactics work to bring in new patients. I have a few questions:

1.) How many grafts was the surgery?

2.) have you contact the clinic about getting a full or partial refund? This would be the first step imo to at least get some compensation for the ruined grafts/donor area that you will never get back. 

Also, I a surprised Dr Diep or Dr Umar haven't been mention in this thread yet. Both have a large case of African American patients. Dr Diep's cases can be seen below. I heard he has a long wait list but the wait should be worth it. I have a surgery scheduled for 2023 with one of the top doctors in the US and would prefer to wait for the best/right doctor to converse my donor area rather then rush into something and feel unsure about it. 

His full library of surgeries can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/user/hairtransplantmd/videos

Dr Umar's website can be found here along with his youtube channel: https://dru.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/DrSUmarH

And just as a F.Y.I. I am not associated with Dr Diep or Umar in any way or form. Just a fellow hair loss sufferer who has done extensive research over the past 4-5 years and noticed an array of African American patients that Dr Diep and Umar have worked on. 

Thank you so much. Yea I contacted the clinic, but you know the typical con artist, doctor acted shocked and made it seem like I did something wrong post surgery. I didn’t ask for a partial refund or refund yet. Doctor offered to repair, but hell no not again. Thank you for providing this information, I definitely heard about doctor Umar before. Will check out dr Diep. He seem to have excellent results