Finasteride... I think I'm gonna try it..

Just now, Curious25 said:

How's it working out for you? 

Honestly really good i think. I took some progress pictures/video monthly for a while, maybe for around 6 months. Then stopped and recently took again around the 9 month mark a video. 

Overall i would say i've stopped my hair loss around the frontal temporal area from progressing and maybe even had a noticeable regrowth in that area. Although i think it's not just down to Dutasteride but improving the overall scalp by reducing inflammation and the dry itchy flakiness my dandruff/seb derm seemed to give. T-Gel probably helped the most as my recent addition over the last month or so. Vitamin D pills also helping to keep that side of things in check. 

I know Dutasteride will continue working past the 12 months period and so, if anything, i'm encouraged by the results seen so far as i come towards the end of Year 1. I think i will hopefully see some more progress around the crown and back of the midscalp where i feel my hair is thinning more. I could also be paranoid about it tbh because i do know there's a whorl pattern there and the way the hair sits naturally makes it appear more sparse/thin than the other areas. That could be feeding into my paranoia a little that i can't confirm without a full proper trichologist report. 

That said, even in the shower, using shampoo like Nizoral etc. i have what i would call "normal" hair which look healthy shedding but i also saw a bunch of thinner hairs too which potentially look like they were miniaturised and still a decent length. So i'm hoping Dutasteride has a chance to save those and as the hair cycles go along, they'll get stronger and back to normal healthy hair. 

• Like 1

I would recommend taking the pills with food, especially if you split them.  I get minimal temporary brain fog with this approach, or just take them last thing at night.

Oxford online pharmacy seems like a good option and I may use them next time.  1mg would be good to start with and do a quarter tablet MWF.  You can decide whether to up it after a few weeks.

I don't think there is any need to go over 3mg total per week unless you're losing ground, in which case look into DUT.

Edited by 1978matt

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

2 minutes ago, 1978matt said:

I would recommend taking the pills with food, especially if you split them.  I get minimal temporary brain fog with this approach, or just take them last thing at night.

Oxford online pharmacy seems like a good option and I may use them next time.  1mg would be good to start with and do a quarter tablet MWF.  You can decide whether to up it after a few weeks.

I don't think there is any need to go over 3mg total per week unless you're losing ground, in which case look into DUT.

I think a general rule of thumb is not to take medication without food but these also say to have it with food. 

I've used them for my last 9 months worth of Dutasteride and reordered 6 months worth again. Although i got a different brand this time than the first 9 months worth. 

Wish you the best results this time.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 2/18/2022 at 11:46 PM, follically challenged said:

Sorry, I'm a bit confused by this response. The George Clooney post you quoted has nothing to do with finasteride, right? And you '..99% do not think so..' Do not think what?

Also, may I ask why you took it if you don't really need it? Thanks!

I freaked out because of some mild temple receding at age 30.Now I am 40, and I still have a good head of hair. I guess my point is that if hair is very imprortant and you really need it, Fin can be considered. But not before 

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2022 at 3:24 AM, follically challenged said:

- not the most important announcement you'll hear all week I'm sure, lol, but i figure why not write a post about it, and maybe i can hear from you guys too...

I was out last night and heard another 'jokey' comment from a friend about my hair again, *sigh* and i just thought....'screw it, it may be time to give it a go.'

I have always held off from trying Fin for two reasons: 1. The fear of sides and 2. If i jump on it, I'm on it for life...which is something of a commitment even without sides...

But now I'm kind of coming around to the thought of 'Well, if i try it and it thickens up my hair / stabilises it, then maybe i at least won't worry about it so much and get just be able to get on with my life knowing I'm doing what i can to preserve it'

So, some questions if you guys would be so kind:

1. How should i go about getting it here in the UK? Must i visit the doctor for it...? 
2. What brand should i go for? I often hear of people cutting Proscar up into quarters...which i guess is because it is cheaper?
3. How did you guys do on it? Did any of you who are currently on it notice sides and push through, or quit? Looking back...how bad were the sides?...could it have just been the nocebo thing?
4. Did any of you guys stop taking it a few years after being on it? How bad was the shed?

Thanks dudes, appreciate it!

Hey man I know people will not agree with what I'm about to say but just know I mean well. You should NOT be touching finasteride in any form topical, low dose, half dose etc. People have been affected from topical too. Despite what bro science tells you it is still absorbed systemcially through the skin. It's impossible for it not to. It has been confirmed.

The side effect profile is factually much higher than Merk claimed. They are being sued for a reason. This is all facts now. I personally know multiple people who have had permanent side effects. It is without exaggeration life ruining. They are shells of men. Yes maybe 85% of people can take it safely. What if you are the 15%? 

The devastation I've seen it do is a fate worse than death. Penile scarring (confirmed medically on ultrasound where they had none before Fin) , zero libido, inability to feel any good emotion, ever. Inability to feel love. Inability to get an erection, severe depression, testosterone at a level that a transgender athlete can compete at in the female league. Completely numb penis, no feeling on ejaculation IF they can even ejaculate. The list goes on.

Again I'm not some crazy dude on the internet, I went to Medical School and I have seen friends lives destroyed even after 5 years and  counting. 

Before anyone goes crazy on me and  replies to this calling bullshit I won't reply back I don't come on this forum and I have no interest. I've heard it all before from people and low and behold permanent sides happen anyway. I simply don't have the energy to argue what is a sad medically proven reality. I am simply just stating what I've seen with my own eyes, reading the medical reports seeing the scarring on ultrasound etc. It's real and it's permanent. Don't ever let any convince you otherwise.

You can take it for years and  not notice any sides then it could suddenly happen 10 years later (I've seen this) or you could one day come off it and  it could happen. What I am trying to say is you can't even experiment to see how it will make you feel. Not even with a pill. If you are unlucky once is enough and the damage to the endocrine system could be done. 

The choice is ultimately up to you but knowing that people have all the info first which my friends never did will take the burden off my shoulders.

I recommend having a consult with Dr Goldstein who specializes in treating guys with Post Finasteride Syndrome. He will run you through a 20 min slideshow and  show you what Fin does to the body, all medically proven, not some guy on the forums saying he took it and  it's safe. You won't take it after that. Including anyone on this forum that doesn't believe in PFS. It is terrifying that this drug is legal. At the very least do that and then after the consult if you really want to gamble your life for hair do what you want.

One last thing, Fin doesn't always work, definitely doesn't always grow hair either in some cases. So you will be gambling possibly for nothing. I've never seen anything worse from a drug than Post Finasteride Syndrome. Propeciahelp.com should educate anyone thinking about taking it on all the darkness the guys who are suffering from it are going through. One of my friends took it for a few weeks and  has never recovered after half a decade. You can take a couple of pills and  it will be enough in predisposed people. Also don't think that just because you have an outstanding libido and  erections it can't happen to you. Remember when we all had full heads of hair as kids and  never thought we would go bald?

I'm going to cut and paste this as a reply to another post on this forum to try and help someone else. If you have any questions you can DM me but I specifically created this account to warn you. That's how strongly I feel about it. So i probably wont log back in for a long time. I wish you the best of luck no matter your choice :)

Edited by nleese123
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2022 at 12:30 PM, nleese123 said:

Hey man I know people will not agree with what I'm about to say but just know I mean well. You should NOT be touching finasteride in any form topical, low dose, half dose etc. People have been affected from topical too. Despite what bro science tells you it is still absorbed systemcially through the skin. It's impossible for it not to. It has been confirmed.

The side effect profile is factually much higher than Merk claimed. They are being sued for a reason. This is all facts now. I personally know multiple people who have had permanent side effects. It is without exaggeration life ruining. They are shells of men. Yes maybe 85% of people can take it safely. What if you are the 15%? 

The devastation I've seen it do is a fate worse than death. Penile scarring (confirmed medically on ultrasound where they had none before Fin) , zero libido, inability to feel any good emotion, ever. Inability to feel love. Inability to get an erection, severe depression, testosterone at a level that a transgender athlete can compete at in the female league. Completely numb penis, no feeling on ejaculation IF they can even ejaculate. The list goes on.

Again I'm not some crazy dude on the internet, I went to Medical School and I have seen friends lives destroyed even after 5 years and  counting. 

Before anyone goes crazy on me and  replies to this calling bullshit I won't reply back I don't come on this forum and I have no interest. I've heard it all before from people and low and behold permanent sides happen anyway. I simply don't have the energy to argue what is a sad medically proven reality. I am simply just stating what I've seen with my own eyes, reading the medical reports seeing the scarring on ultrasound etc. It's real and it's permanent. Don't ever let any convince you otherwise.

You can take it for years and  not notice any sides then it could suddenly happen 10 years later (I've seen this) or you could one day come off it and  it could happen. What I am trying to say is you can't even experiment to see how it will make you feel. Not even with a pill. If you are unlucky once is enough and the damage to the endocrine system could be done. 

The choice is ultimately up to you but knowing that people have all the info first which my friends never did will take the burden off my shoulders.

I recommend having a consult with Dr Goldstein who specializes in treating guys with Post Finasteride Syndrome. He will run you through a 20 min slideshow and  show you what Fin does to the body, all medically proven, not some guy on the forums saying he took it and  it's safe. You won't take it after that. Including anyone on this forum that doesn't believe in PFS. It is terrifying that this drug is legal. At the very least do that and then after the consult if you really want to gamble your life for hair do what you want.

One last thing, Fin doesn't always work, definitely doesn't always grow hair either in some cases. So you will be gambling possibly for nothing. I've never seen anything worse from a drug than Post Finasteride Syndrome. Propeciahelp.com should educate anyone thinking about taking it on all the darkness the guys who are suffering from it are going through. One of my friends took it for a few weeks and  has never recovered after half a decade. You can take a couple of pills and  it will be enough in predisposed people. Also don't think that just because you have an outstanding libido and  erections it can't happen to you. Remember when we all had full heads of hair as kids and  never thought we would go bald?

I'm going to cut and paste this as a reply to another post on this forum to try and help someone else. If you have any questions you can DM me but I specifically created this account to warn you. That's how strongly I feel about it. So i probably wont log back in for a long time. I wish you the best of luck no matter your choice :)

Yep and there have been several lawsuits and settlements from damage done by Fin. I understand many men respond differently to it, but everyone should think very hard before starting it.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-courts-secrecy-propecia/

Edited by BaldBobby

2 hours ago, BaldBobby said:

Yep and there have been several lawsuits and settlements from damage done by Fin. I understand many men respond differently to it, but everyone should think very hard before starting it.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-courts-secrecy-propecia/

If you actually look at the basis of the lawsuits, they went on a very subjective basis argument and not necessarily something that did prove a massive real objective measurement in a lot of those cases. It was easier to settle it seemed and they have teams of million dollar lawyers who wouldn't advise them to drag it out. 

22 minutes ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

How does a tablet cause penile scarring? I'm not doubting the side effects at all, but that seems very very far fetched

Because it doesn't. I had to stop reading once I came to that part, seriously Penile scarring? 

I have seen loads of reported side effects such as ED, Depression, fatigue, migraines and on and on but its literally the first time I actually come across someone that talks about Penile Scarring. No offense but if there is someone out there taking a pill that has such a thing then the only explanation is that he's not taking it right.

If PropeciaHelp is to be taken seriously then I guess I should take something like this as well: https://fluoridealert.org/

6 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

If you actually look at the basis of the lawsuits, they went on a very subjective basis argument and not necessarily something that did prove a massive real objective measurement in a lot of those cases. It was easier to settle it seemed and they have teams of million dollar lawyers who wouldn't advise them to drag it out. 

I’m glad you didn’t have sides like I did. I’ve quit using it for years and still suffer from sexual effects, hard to prove causality of course.

• Administrators

I think the best thing to hit the market is gonna be topical dut. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, BaldBobby said:

I’m glad you didn’t have sides like I did. I’ve quit using it for years and still suffer from sexual effects, hard to prove causality of course.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had issues. Have you tried to consult with a medical professional? 

Typically from the cases i hear about, it seems like there was underlying issues prior to Finasteride use that were either not identified or dealt with which became more pronounced for individuals over time with use of Finasteride. 

Also, men need to honestly look in the mirror and realise that ED or "Performance Issues" commonly thrown onto the pill are actually moreso to do with a combination of aging and in a lot of modern cases, a simple result of the fact we are fatter and less active than our predecessors. 

Fitness and being in shape can do wonders for your health. All around. 

I do think if maybe it was as hugely widespread, there would have been more lawsuits and FDA reviews for the product. The media however as usual will just swing onto a sensationalist angle because it attracts attention. They're not always interested in the truth or facts when doing a subjective emotional "news" piece. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NARMAK said:

42 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

I'm sorry to hear that you've had issues. Have you tried to consult with a medical professional? 

Typically from the cases i hear about, it seems like there was underlying issues prior to Finasteride use that were either not identified or dealt with which became more pronounced for individuals over time with use of Finasteride. 

Also, men need to honestly look in the mirror and realise that ED or "Performance Issues" commonly thrown onto the pill are actually moreso to do with a combination of aging and in a lot of modern cases, a simple result of the fact we are fatter and less active than our predecessors. 

Fitness and being in shape can do wonders for your health. All around. 

I do think if maybe it was as hugely widespread, there would have been more lawsuits and FDA reviews for the product. The media however as usual will just swing onto a sensationalist angle because it attracts attention. They're not always interested in the truth or facts when doing a subjective emotional "news" piece. 

Yes of course but I was young (early 30s) when I stopped and my doctor thinks it was due Fin as I didn’t have any other underlying factors.