What can I do about the scar tissue from these removed grafts on my forehead?

Had a hair transplant done by Rahal and instead of retaining the initially established hairline set by my initial surgeon, Rahal decided to remove the grafts and place them elsewhere in the scalp - I agreed to this decision of course because he designs very good hairlines and his team does good work. Unfortunately after about 6 months I still have scar tissue and redness which renders my hairline to look pretty unnatural.  I've posted about this before but I haven't received any decent feedback/advice yet.

I've already seen a dermatologist and they prescribed a cream, but I have no seen an improvement in appearance over the last 4 months.

What would you do?

fh12.png

fh1.png

2 minutes ago, fitwhynot said:

Had a hair transplant done by Rahal and instead of retaining the initially established hairline set by my initial surgeon, Rahal decided to remove the grafts and place them elsewhere in the scalp - I agreed to this decision of course because he designs very good hairlines and his team does good work. Unfortunately after about 6 months I still have scar tissue and redness which renders my hairline to look pretty unnatural.  I've posted about this before but I haven't received any decent feedback/advice yet.

I've already seen a dermatologist and they prescribed a cream, but I have no seen an improvement in appearance over the last 4 months.

What would you do?

fh12.png

fh1.png

scars are pretty hard to treat im in a similar situation myself so i've been using tretinoin 0.1% daily and dermarolling 1.5mm weekly to try and fade it as much as possible, usually this bumpy look will fade a little after maybe like 3-6 years if you do nothing 

• Like 1

Have you addressed this directly with Rahal? 

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I don't understand why he would remove hairline grafts if he wasn't then lowering the hairline to camouflage any scarring for the removed grafts. 

did Rahal add any grafts to the hairline, or do anything to the hairline beyond just removing grafts?

Dermatologists are generally clueless about hair transplants. 

9 minutes ago, mmokin said:

scars are pretty hard to treat im in a similar situation myself so i've been using tretinoin 0.1% daily and dermarolling 1.5mm weekly to try and fade it as much as possible, usually this bumpy look will fade a little after maybe like 3-6 years if you do nothing 

What's your situation exactly? And do you have any progress pics?

3 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I don't understand why he would remove hairline grafts if he wasn't then lowering the hairline to camouflage any scarring for the removed grafts. 

did Rahal add any grafts to the hairline, or do anything to the hairline beyond just removing grafts?

He removed the grafts because the hairline was initially designed too low by a terrible surgeon - as a result the hairline was designed higher, exposing the locations of the removed grafts.

7 minutes ago, fitwhynot said:

What's your situation exactly? And do you have any progress pics?

He removed the grafts because the hairline was initially designed too low by a terrible surgeon - as a result the hairline was designed higher, exposing the locations of the removed grafts.

i went to hair of istanbul turkey and have ridging and bumps etc that became apparent around 6 months post op so im assuming it is scar tissue, its not visible with short hair but i can feel the ridge with my fingers, if i knew this would happen i would have been using silicon sheets, aloe vera and tretinoin from 2 weeks post op, biggest regret of my life going to turkey for a HT especially when it still cost so much... you can find my posts look at my profile posting history.

im going to get steroid injections to flatten everything out even more so hopefully i can atleast smp to get it to look normal.

worst case scenario is surgical skin excision.

for you i recommend atleast trying aloe vera etc to calm the skins redness down since the scarring is somewhat new you could get better results trying to treat it

18 minutes ago, mmokin said:

i went to hair of istanbul turkey and have ridging and bumps etc that became apparent around 6 months post op so im assuming it is scar tissue, its not visible with short hair but i can feel the ridge with my fingers, if i knew this would happen i would have been using silicon sheets, aloe vera and tretinoin from 2 weeks post op, biggest regret of my life going to turkey for a HT especially when it still cost so much... you can find my posts look at my profile posting history.

im going to get steroid injections to flatten everything out even more so hopefully i can atleast smp to get it to look normal.

worst case scenario is surgical skin excision.

for you i recommend atleast trying aloe vera etc to calm the skins redness down since the scarring is somewhat new you could get better results trying to treat it

Who provides steroid injections, your dematologist?

36 minutes ago, fitwhynot said:

Who provides steroid injections, your dematologist?

yh you need to find one willing to work on you as most dermatologists dont know about hair transplant scarring and very few people come to get them treated as they are more rare with modern FUE techniques

Edited by mmokin

Some people take longer for hair transplant redness to fade. The lighter, more fair-skinned you are it can end up taking longer. Six months is longer than usual, but not unheard of. 

Like has been said, start applying some aloe gel, and something like the over-the-counter scar fading creams like this Mederma stuff below. You can find it at local stores or on Amazon. I'd give it a few more months before reaching out to a doctor for something more aggressive.

image.png.f0bf389da6352aad7be481371d0ae574.png

Edited by ciaus

1 hour ago, mmokin said:

yh you need to find one willing to work on you as most dermatologists dont know about hair transplant scarring and very few people come to get them treated as they are more rare with modern FUE techniques

What does your dermatologist think of microneedle?

On 2/17/2022 at 2:06 PM, SadMan2021 said:

Totally agree 

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

fitwhynot,

Thought to mention that in addition to some scarring, there appears to be some inflammation with the redness...have you discussed your collagen levels with your doctor?...if your collagen levels are low, talk to your doctor about using bio-active collagen to increase it...a canister typically costs about $100.

Steroid creams can help but you can potentially also get some resolve with the redness with collagen supplements.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

@fitwhynot,

I see somebody posted on this yesterday so I wanted to reach out to see how this was resolved.  Did you ever contact Dr. Rahal directly regarding your concerns?  Ongoing inflammation like this isn’t typical especially after 6 months.  Please provide us with an update and send me a pm if I can help you in any way.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

9 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@fitwhynot,

I see somebody posted on this yesterday so I wanted to reach out to see how this was resolved.  Did you ever contact Dr. Rahal directly regarding your concerns?  Ongoing inflammation like this isn’t typical especially after 6 months.  Please provide us with an update and send me a pm if I can help you in any way.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

It sure is nice to see you reach out to this patient because it is needed and not many clinics do this post-op.

Gillenator

On 11/29/2022 at 5:31 PM, 5BetaReductase said:

@fitwhynot did Rahal do the punch outs?

Yes, he did. Unfortunately the only resolution Rahal can offer is to add more grafts to the hairline, or remove the remaining pluggy-looking grafts. I've seen a dermatologist to alleviate some of the redness with a yellow laser which helped some, but it is largely not an aesthetically great looking results in terms of the hairline.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, fitwhynot said:

Yes, he did. Unfortunately the only resolution Rahal can offer is to add more grafts to the hairline

I was also thinking you could add more grafts and was going to comment that I think you would do well with a small session of a few grafts to partially cover it. I wouldn't put grafts all the way down the redness area, but just doing a bit should help you more easily cover the rest of it and make it less noticeable.

image.png.b1e22bea45c508e10ee00e053c9acfd2.png

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

Have you tried fraxel lasers?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.