Hair Doctor says I only need 1500 graphs for my hair line. Doesn't seem right to me

I'm talking to a hair doctor at the clinic he works for. He told me I only need 1500 graphs. That doesn't seem right to me I see most people get 2500+ for the receding hair line I have.|

I came to this forum for some advice on the appropriate amount of graphs I need because maybe I only need 1500. Just double checking, thanks for all of your support!

IMG_3922.jpg

• Administrators

What are your goals? I agree 1500 grafts seems very conservative, but are you only trying to lower the hairline slightly lower?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Was this an in person consultation or just online? Because real graft count won't be determined until day of procedure, so you're only left with an estimate until real measurements are taken, but yeah 1500 seems low. I had less recessed temples and still needed 1590 grafts. 

First of, you need to strongly consider medication. That is beacause the middle is weakening and you are young. Grafts number depend on the surface that is to be covered. 1500 appears too low IMO even if you go conservative which you should. 

• Valued Contributor

I'm of the opinion that you may need up to another 1,000 grafts if you are to fill in the entire area. But again (as Melvin has stated) we need to know what your goals are? I would definitely be consulting with other surgeons for a comparison. All the best!

thats a very modest amount seeing from what other people have here, is that face to face consult?

for online / pic only consultation, it can vary wildly depending on photo quality and who you are consulting to....

i've asked several clinic, the median for me is around 2000, but some goes as low as 1000, while the highest i'm quoted is 3500 (but again, its just pictures so it's gonna be just guesswork unlike face to face consultation.

if you want to make the hairline a straight one instead from what i see in the forums, i think it's gonna be more than that though

Thank you all for the responses I'm currently 26 year old's, my goals are to get my hairline filled in with good density, I had a friend get a hair transplant with a similar hairline like mine and got 2800 graphs and it turned out great

17 hours ago, Steele said:

Thank you all for the responses I'm currently 26 year old's, my goals are to get my hairline filled in with good density, I had a friend get a hair transplant with a similar hairline like mine and got 2800 graphs and it turned out great

if your hair condition is the same with your friend, crown - hairline - density wise, you can just guesstimate the number to be around your friend.

For the illusion of density you typically want 50-60grafts/cm^2 in the hairline. You can use that to get an estimate of how many grafts you need. Keep in mind though, for efficient use of the donor, sometimes the doctor will usually target a bit less (40-50 ish?)  a cm or two behind the hairline since it's less important than the hairline in maintaining the illusion of density.

Edited by LondonRamen

Are you currently on medication? Given your age I would say your hair loss looks aggressive but not where 1500 grafts is conservative enough to accommodate future hair loss.

Most cases I have seen to rebuild the frontal third is about 2-3.5k of grafts. Usually between 2 and 2.5k for a conservative approach but thats always a case by case basis.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

2 hours ago, Baldingat22 said:

What would this hairline be classified as? Norwood 3?

Norwood 3/3a at present and it looks like the remaining hair in the frontal third is also thinning. Be good to see another pic of the vertex/donor area. This will progress if no medication regime is introduced. 

• Like 1