please delete

It's all about your own personal satisfaction. No one needs a hair transplant, and an elective cosmetic procedure should in general be the last resort after exploring all alternatives.

You are definitely a candidate for a hair transplant if you decide to go down that point. 

IMO you need to consider if the rewards of a hair transplant are worth the potential risks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thetdog666 said:

Do you take any meds? 

i took fin years back but stopped. I will probably start again. But the hairloss has already occurred now 

9 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

It's all about your own personal satisfaction. No one needs a hair transplant, and an elective cosmetic procedure should in general be the last resort after exploring all alternatives.

You are definitely a candidate for a hair transplant if you decide to go down that point. 

IMO you need to consider if the rewards of a hair transplant are worth the potential risks. 

thanks, I appreciate the advice.

do you think 3000 grafts is too much in my situation?

4 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

3000 seems a bit excessive. I would say NW5's and worse normally get 3000 grafts or so. 

Maybe 2000 or so would be good? I recommend a conservative hairline. 

Interesting, i consulted with several hair clinics in Germany and Turkey, The german one recommended about 2500 or so and most of the Turkish ones recommended 3000 or so. I went to a HLC consultation in person and this was their recommendation:

We calculate for your front hairline up to the middle area about 80 cm2 in total.

The front hairline area is about 40 cm2 and the middel part area is also about 40 cm2.

We recommend to transplant the fornt hairline with 50 density and the middel part area with 40 denstiy.

40cm2 with 50 density will need 2000 Grafts 

40cm2 with 40 density will need 1600 Grafts

So in total we have surgery plan with about 3200 Grafts

it seems a bit high to me as well, but at the time I did know that was too much. Maybe they want to have a very thick hairline to match the rest of my head? Should I ask for less?

Edited by spacemanspiff

It looks like 2,000-2,500 grafts should be able to work for your case. I'd consult with other clinics. I'm not sure if it'd be worth it to ask the clinic you already spoke to for lesser grafts because maybe they wouldn't provide as satisfactory of an end result. There might be other surgeons out there who know how to do more with lesser grafts.

• Moderators

A lot of it depends on where they are putting the hair line. Just a minor lowering can use up 1000 grafts.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

I think your hair loss is fairly obvious. Would a hair transplant improve your hair? Absolutely. Do you need a hair transplant? No. It is up to you, but I think you would look way better with a hair transplant. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

10 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

It looks like 2,000-2,500 grafts should be able to work for your case. I'd consult with other clinics. I'm not sure if it'd be worth it to ask the clinic you already spoke to for lesser grafts because maybe they wouldn't provide as satisfactory of an end result. There might be other surgeons out there who know how to do more with lesser grafts.

It is interesting as literally every clinic I went to, 2 in person, recommended between 2500-3000 grafts... how do I know if they are overharvesting?

10 hours ago, BeHappy said:

A lot of it depends on where they are putting the hair line. Just a minor lowering can use up 1000 grafts.

Interesting thanks for the info.

5 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I think your hair loss is fairly obvious. Would a hair transplant improve your hair? Absolutely. Do you need a hair transplant? No. It is up to you, but I think you would look way better with a hair transplant. 

Thank you! regardless I will start a low dosage of fin again too. 

• Valued Contributor

If you decide to go down the hair transplant path I would definitely be staying on finasteride. You have so much hair to keep (and lose) by staying on finasteride. You will be saving a lot of potential future surgery by keeping your hair with finasteride. Wishing you all the best with your decision.

• Thanks 2