Best surgeons for a conservative approach?

Hey all,

Little bit about me: 30 years old, NW3, been on fix and minox for 5+ years - and have an intense family history of balding on my father's side.

I'm looking to go super conservative, i.e. deal with a 5-head, and just fill in the temple regions. 

I wear my hair long, and always have, so I pretty much have it hanging over my frontal region anyway.

My question, are there any particular surgeons who spring to mind when taking a conservative approach? I.e. making the grafts go as far as possible?

I should mention that I will also be opting for FUT, for this reason.

Cheers!

I actually think the vast majority of doctors don't mind a conservative patient. In many ways its preferred as conservative is less risky and in general harder for the surgeon to screw up. 

Of course, if you only want such a small amount of grafts that it doesn't make financial sense for the clinic to operate on you then you could very well be rejected. 

Also keep in mind that it's very easy to under-estimate the # of grafts needed in order to acheive adequate satisfaction. 

What you should do is go to as many consults as possible. Then compare and cross-reference all the graft counts. You should be able to come up with a general # of grafts needed. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

You just need to pick an excellent surgeon and tell them you want a very conservative approach. Simple as that really!

Ive recently had a HT with Eugenix, and one of the reasons I went with them is that they seem to be able to make modest amounts of grafts go a very long way. I’ve seen people with less hair loss than me have more grafts transplanted. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Berba11 said:

You just need to pick an excellent surgeon and tell them you want a very conservative approach. Simple as that really!

Ive recently had a HT with Eugenix, and one of the reasons I went with them is that they seem to be able to make modest amounts of grafts go a very long way. I’ve seen people with less hair loss than me have more grafts transplanted. 

eugenix is not conservative in my opinion as far as their design but they do produce great results, I think Bisanga and Dr De Freitas are more conservative again in terms in design i.e hairline / temples/ peaks

• Administrators

One of my favorite conservative surgeons are Dr. Wong and Dr. Arika Bansal. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

11 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

haha agree. At least for all the Eugenix cases recently showcased on this site, I don't think I've seen one yet under 2500 grafts

there was a guy who got a procedure done 2 years ago and it actually looks conservative and natural but over the last 2 years the designs look aggressive but still great yield

• Administrators

Dr. Arika is conservative, more so, than a lot of doctors. Dr. Sethi is aggressive, depends on the surgeon you choose. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

12 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Dr. Arika is conservative, more so, than a lot of doctors. Dr. Sethi is aggressive, depends on the surgeon you choose. 

I've seen some of Dr Wong's results, and he makes grafts go a long way.

I also saw some of Dr Konior's results last night, he seems to do a lot with 2k grafts, and looks to take a very long-term approach

I'm a little confused whether your replies guys match up perhaps with what OP is asking. The description following conservative hairline implied the design aspect imo. Which honestly, almost alp the people you listed are known to respect. 

However, there's also a big confusion imo around the idea of grafts used and the idea of not being  "conservative" and even Dr Bisanga will tell you. Its not always about the grafts used. If a patient has finer hair and high density naturally, you have to use more grafts typically to achieve the required density for illusion of density vs somebody with thicker hair and maybe needing a medium density placement. 

Also, try to remember that when dealing with a frontal hairline, a lot of doubles, triples etc. can be cut down into more grafts where needed. So a single graft becomes a two when split etc 

So if say somebody had 10 double hair grafts cut into singles, they now are given 20 grafts. So it's not always 100% straightforwards looking simply at numbers. That said, a NW3 is still in a solid range for 2500 grafts to restore an aesthetic yet sensible frontal hairline imo. 

On 2/5/2022 at 12:46 AM, HelpfulFriend said:

Hey all,

Little bit about me: 30 years old, NW3, been on fix and minox for 5+ years - and have an intense family history of balding on my father's side.

I'm looking to go super conservative, i.e. deal with a 5-head, and just fill in the temple regions. 

I wear my hair long, and always have, so I pretty much have it hanging over my frontal region anyway.

My question, are there any particular surgeons who spring to mind when taking a conservative approach? I.e. making the grafts go as far as possible?

I should mention that I will also be opting for FUT, for this reason.

Cheers!

Apart from those mentioned, have a look at Bloxham, Cooley, Charles, Lindsey and Gabel.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day