Overharvesting!?! Please help

Bazamadi

Hi 

I recently did a FUE beard transplant with 1500 grafts taken from my donor area. It’s now 2 days since surgery and I just had my head washed. I’ve taken photos of the donor area and from what I’ve seen online it looks to be well over 1500 grafts? And very overharvested ?? 

im also still bleeding, please any advice for this as I don’t want it to be infected! 

somebody please help as I’m freaking out

32BCC126-3F16-4050-B575-C1CBA50B9B90.png

A77E369E-EEB1-49B8-BE1F-73745CF586DF.png

76A05F16-D64B-40F4-B819-CB7739209540.png

D05B3869-2422-4D54-A16D-2BD86C2247D0.png

FE1EFBC1-AF11-46C8-9454-83C4EDB9257F.png

Hard to tell if there is any overharvesting since its only been a couple of days.

If the donor area was overharvested, there is nothing you could do anyways - what's done is done. If there was an area of concern, you have options going forward: SMP in the donor area or FUE grafts placed from another part of the donor area into the scars.

But you are going to have to wait, nonetheless. Don't freak out, be patient, let the area heal and then you will know more over time.

• Valued Contributor

Donor areas can look a bit overharvested with the hair so short and so soon after the surgery. It's too early to say if you've been over harvested. You'll get a much better idea in two or three weeks when things have grown out a bit more, and even then, that's pretty early. Some people can get away with a shorter length and others need a bit more. If you've had shock loss that can take more time to recover.

I'm not a doctor, but I don't see anything that looks infected or worrisome in that regard. A bit of bleeding here and there probably isn't a major concern. Donor areas can be itchy and it's very easy to rub or scratch an extraction site that is try to heal which might cause a small amount of bleeding. That said, what was your post-operative care regimen in terms of tablets and cleaning scrubs? Also, do you have any photos of the work itself on the beard? Would be interesting to see it as beard transplants are quite difficult to get looking right.

Cheers

Try not to freak out, right now is literally the worst it will look. The shocking appearance is likely exacerbated by the fact the surrounding hair has been left long, whereas most photos of donor you have seen online have probably been surrounded by shaved hair.

While you are here, any chance of posting a thread about your surgery? Beard transplants aren't that common compared to regular hair transplants, so it'd be great to have a record for other people who might be searching for that type of surgery.

Thanks everyone. I will be posting some more photos in the coming days as requested. My surgery was in Turkey and to be honest it’s been a complete nightmare. I didn’t want many grafts to begin with as I already had a decent beard to begin with but surgeon was adamant that 1500 would be needed. 

anyhow I’ve had so much anxiety since the surgery because of my donor area as I usually like to have skin fades but now because of what’s happened I’m thinking of leaving my hair long until it fully recovers. 

I’ll keep you guys updated in the next coming days/weeks. 

Also in terms of medication I was given some anti botics and some pain medication as well as hair loss shampoo to use as well a pro skin foam for the beard. 

im concerned mostly with the donor area because to me it looks so red and possibly from a small area which would make overharvesting more obvious. Any thoughts on this? 

• Administrators

Too early to say overharvesting. Give it at least 6 months to see how you recover.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, Bazamadi said:

Also in terms of medication I was given some anti botics and some pain medication as well as hair loss shampoo to use as well a pro skin foam for the beard. 

im concerned mostly with the donor area because to me it looks so red and possibly from a small area which would make overharvesting more obvious. Any thoughts on this? 

The area they've extracted from does maybe look a little small, but also 1500 grafts isn't that much either. So it's going to take a little time before things really show themselves.

Which clinic did you go to?

So hard to tell at this point and 1,500 grafts are not unusual for the area you show in the picture.  Let's see how it looks in a couple months.  Be patient, it will most likely be just fine.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Bazamadi said:

Hi all, this is day 8 post surgery on donor area. Please let me know what you guys think? In terms of any overharvesting? 

632253D6-C726-445C-A968-A67075EF86BA.png

5777BCB1-E380-443D-A7E0-D75623565714.png

I’m going to be honest. The graft extractions you can see were done too close together. That’s why you’re seeing areas completely void of hair. You should be leaving a hair in between each extraction. It will probably improve, but I’m sure you’ll be able to see the halo effect. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2022 at 11:03 AM, Bazamadi said:

Thank you for being honest. It’s been 8 days and I do have the flash on so it does look worse than what it looks like but that is so disappointing to hear and I was hoping overextraction wasn’t the case for me 😔

i think they took more than 1500 grafts you shouldnt have any overharvesting 

• 2 weeks later...

Bazamadi,

As others have already stated, it’s difficult to tell by the photos since you’re only a couple days out of surgery.  That being said, if you only had 1500 grafts transplanted, I can’t see or understand why any clinic would harvest more than you needed. After all, what motivation would they have to do extra work without getting paid…not to mention the fact that it would be downright unethical to harvest more just to waste your precious and limited donor supply.

Just based on logic alone, I highly doubt more than what was needed has been harvested.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.