Post-OP, do you let it grow or keep it short?

Post-OP, do you let it grow or keep it short during the first couple of months?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why do transplants? To have more and to show more! Besides, regardless of the technique used, letting the hair grow will help to cover the "ugly phase" as some call it.

• Confused 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

At 5 months I’m glad I let mine grow out, at this length there is more than enough to cover up the recipient area whilst it thickens up. 

The temptation to buzz as soon as I could post op was so strong though and if I couldn’t wear a hat at work I would definitely have buzzed through the ugly duckling stage for sure. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LaserCaps said:

Why do transplants? To have more and to show more! Besides, regardless of the technique used, letting the hair grow will help to cover the "ugly phase" as some call it.

5 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

grow it out of course. If you keep it short you may end up liking the shaven (ie bald) look and regret wasting so much $ on a HT when you could have just shaved it to begin with.

I am talking about the FIRST COUPLE OF MONTHS, like month 1-4.

1 hour ago, Yoo said:

At 5 months I’m glad I let mine grow out, at this length there is more than enough to cover up the recipient area whilst it thickens up. 

The temptation to buzz as soon as I could post op was so strong though and if I couldn’t wear a hat at work I would definitely have buzzed through the ugly duckling stage for sure. 

Thanks for understanding the question and your input. :D

Yes I am tempted aswell to take it down to a shorter length for now because of the ugly duckling, but I guess I should keep it and maybe just do the normal fade I usually do but without going down to 0.

Edited by digi23
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, digi23 said:

I am talking about the FIRST COUPLE OF MONTHS, like month 1-4.

It will take about 3 months for the hair to start coming in.  Very fine to start.  at 6 months it will be a bit stronger.  It is at 12 mo you can expect a matured result.  (Sometimes this can take even longer). So, for the first 3-4 months you will look pretty much the way you look now.  

• Haha 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

14 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

I intend to just let it grow. It will look somewhat ‘interesting’ however. I will have SMP on top and hair growing out everywhere else. I’ll be rocking the ‘Krusty the Clown look!’ 🤡 🤣

Yes I feel like a clown at the moment with redness, then pretty long hair just over, looks weird. :D

11 minutes ago, Gokuhairline said:

i did partial shave and it was a bitch post op i thought about buzzing it but have just let it grow.

I guess I will keep it then. :( I want it to be long when its grown out in the recipient, I guess if I buzz it now its just longer wait.

Edited by digi23
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, digi23 said:

Simple question, lets see what you guys prefer!

Please note, we are talking through ugly duckling phase like month 1-4, not later on when you got the result.

Honestly, it looks weird, and ugly, where we have longer hair on the side and then some miniature in between :), it also looks ridiculous, but it's a phase that everyone who does HT has to go through ...

Perhaps it is best to consult a doctor, if it does not affect the result of further progress in the growth of transplanted hair, I would honestly prefer to totally cut it short,  the whole head to 1-2.

As far as I remember in the clinic's advices is not to cut hair at the recipient's area for the first 2-3 months with clippers, possibly after 3 months with scissors so that if it is long enough, I'm not sure about this, but someone more experienced will confirm the practice for cut hair in the recipient area.

• Confused 1

This is a personal choice however, most patients seem to prefer keeping their hair short for the first couple of months after hair restoration surgery and when the hair transplant really starts to grow in and thicken, they will grow it to their preferred length for styling purposes.  This seems to work best for most patients.

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 3

Rahal Hair Transplant Clinic - Answers to questions and posts using this account are strictly opinions and not to be considered medical advice.