Any advice for a solo traveler having a HT done overseas?

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this site. It really is a great source of knowledge and the positive vibes that everyone spreads is awesome. 

I have a procedure with Dr Laorwong in Bangkok booked for early January 2022. Following the procedure I will be staying in Bangkok for an additional 7 days. Given that I will be traveling solo, I am trying to be as prepared as possible as I wont have anyone to run around for me whilst I recover in the hotel room for the first couple of days after the surgery.

If anyone was in the same position of travelling internationally solo for a HT, is there any advice you could share? Was there anything you would have done differently in hindsight? 

Thanks. 

Ok, so a few things to consider:

1.  Check room service rates.  Some hotels charge an arm and a leg for food.  Personally, I barely left my hotel room first 2-3 days after the Surgery (Just to go to clinic to have first wash, and buy meds in pharmacy).  What does this mean?  Get a ton of snacks/water/drinks so you don't really have to leave for anything for at least a day or two.  First 2-3 days are most critical, in my opinion, rest is good.  If room service is cheap though, skip this and enjoy :)

2.  Get a hat with solar protection.  One of the worst things you can do to your new Hair Transplant is get sun exposure.  And you'll be in Thailand... the sun is very strong there.  Even a trip to the pharmacy with an uncovered head is not ideal.  So buy the hat beforehand.

3.  If you're the kind of guy who gets anxiety or nervous about people judging you and your hair transplant, or people recognizing you (not my case, but many people do get anxious), some sunglasses (paired with a covid mask) will make you feel basically invisible, hidden behind a disguise.  Nobody would be able to recognize you.  It's an easy way to enjoy yourself at restaurants, at the airport, wherever, without fear of being recognized by someone.

4.  Get the most comfortable neck pillow you can find.  That thing will be your best friend for sleeping the first few days.

5.  If possible, get in contact with your clinic and ask them exactly what shampoos, what medicine or supplies (like thermal spray water, antibiotics, etc.) you will require, and buy them the day before the surgery.  That way, you don't have to go shopping straight out of the hospital/clinic.  

6.  Ask for some extra towels from reception for the days after surgery.  It's quite common to leak a lot of red fluid out of your head (looks similar to watery blood), and without towels, you can get that stuff all over your bed and neck pillow.  If you don't want to dirty the hotel towels, stock up on something that will soak the stuff up, and replace it every few hours for the first day or two.  The head leaks a lot from the donor area.

Not sure if I can think of anything else of the top of my head.  Hope this helps a little.

• Like 2

Check out my journey here:

• Valued Contributor

I travel to Thailand at least twice a year (pre covid). You can get plenty of support while you are there recovering post op. I'm sure your sugeon/clinic would be able to give you some ideas and support during the post op period. Just be very careful of being outside in the Thai sun. All the best!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fue3361 said:

Ok, so a few things to consider:

1.  Check room service rates.  Some hotels charge an arm and a leg for food.  Personally, I barely left my hotel room first 2-3 days after the Surgery (Just to go to clinic to have first wash, and buy meds in pharmacy).  What does this mean?  Get a ton of snacks/water/drinks so you don't really have to leave for anything for at least a day or two.  First 2-3 days are most critical, in my opinion, rest is good.  If room service is cheap though, skip this and enjoy :)

2.  Get a hat with solar protection.  One of the worst things you can do to your new Hair Transplant is get sun exposure.  And you'll be in Thailand... the sun is very strong there.  Even a trip to the pharmacy with an uncovered head is not ideal.  So buy the hat beforehand.

3.  If you're the kind of guy who gets anxiety or nervous about people judging you and your hair transplant, or people recognizing you (not my case, but many people do get anxious), some sunglasses (paired with a covid mask) will make you feel basically invisible, hidden behind a disguise.  Nobody would be able to recognize you.  It's an easy way to enjoy yourself at restaurants, at the airport, wherever, without fear of being recognized by someone.

4.  Get the most comfortable neck pillow you can find.  That thing will be your best friend for sleeping the first few days.

5.  If possible, get in contact with your clinic and ask them exactly what shampoos, what medicine or supplies (like thermal spray water, antibiotics, etc.) you will require, and buy them the day before the surgery.  That way, you don't have to go shopping straight out of the hospital/clinic.  

6.  Ask for some extra towels from reception for the days after surgery.  It's quite common to leak a lot of red fluid out of your head (looks similar to watery blood), and without towels, you can get that stuff all over your bed and neck pillow.  If you don't want to dirty the hotel towels, stock up on something that will soak the stuff up, and replace it every few hours for the first day or two.  The head leaks a lot from the donor area.

Not sure if I can think of anything else of the top of my head.  Hope this helps a little.

Thank you for that - there's some great advice there. 

10 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

I travel to Thailand at least twice a year (pre covid). You can get plenty of support while you are there recovering post op. I'm sure your sugeon/clinic would be able to give you some ideas and support during the post op period. Just be very careful of being outside in the Thai sun. All the best!

Thanks Gatsby - appreciate it 

• Like 1

I just returned from trip like that!

1. Find a accomodation with private/your own bathroom (to wash your haead and other post op care in peace) and refrigerator as you'll need to use ice packs for swelling.

2.Take a lot of movies, tv shows or books

3.Make sure to have food delivery option, and some other things....

Also it is good to have kitchen available so when doctor allow ypu to drink coffe ypu can get one for ypurself without needing to go out exposing yourself....bring coffe hehe!

4. If you need to go to buy something do it at night to avoid sunlight, after few days 3-5 you can wear a hat or a cap but only if it doesnt touch your recipient area....at least my doctor suggested that!

Before trip choose wisely what hat/baseball cap to take, try it out so it doesn't touch your planned recipient area.

5. Take a good travel pillow and zipper vests/shirts....take clothes ypu can easily change without touching your head (transplant zones)

Lucky i stayed in place with all those conditions easliy and safely available.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Ask if you can return to the clinic the next day to have them do a wash.  It will make you feel better.

Are you doing FUE/FUT?

Keep in mind, when returning, it is likely they will take away whatever you are bringing back.  You may have to check-in baggage.  Have the clinic give you a doctor's note indicating all of these things are medically necessary.  That should help.

How likely is it that you will return to the clinic in the future? Probably none.  Perhaps asking for copies of your entire chart would not be a bad idea.  This will help you keep track of progress, (including copies of photos).

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

You're probably overthinking everything if you're doing FUE and it's a good doctor. You'll likely be sitting around for those 7 days wishing you were back home in your own bed. Again if it's FUE with a good doctor then you should be able to fly home day after surgery without any problems.

13 hours ago, Spaceguy said:

I just returned from trip like that!

1. Find a accomodation with private/your own bathroom (to wash your haead and other post op care in peace) and refrigerator as you'll need to use ice packs for swelling.

2.Take a lot of movies, tv shows or books

3.Make sure to have food delivery option, and some other things....

Also it is good to have kitchen available so when doctor allow ypu to drink coffe ypu can get one for ypurself without needing to go out exposing yourself....bring coffe hehe!

4. If you need to go to buy something do it at night to avoid sunlight, after few days 3-5 you can wear a hat or a cap but only if it doesnt touch your recipient area....at least my doctor suggested that!

Before trip choose wisely what hat/baseball cap to take, try it out so it doesn't touch your planned recipient area.

5. Take a good travel pillow and zipper vests/shirts....take clothes ypu can easily change without touching your head (transplant zones)

Lucky i stayed in place with all those conditions easliy and safely available.

Good luck!

Thank you - they are great suggestions ... I was definitely going to download a lot of movies in case the Wi-Fi isn't great in the hotel 

12 hours ago, LaserCaps said:

Ask if you can return to the clinic the next day to have them do a wash.  It will make you feel better.

Are you doing FUE/FUT?

Keep in mind, when returning, it is likely they will take away whatever you are bringing back.  You may have to check-in baggage.  Have the clinic give you a doctor's note indicating all of these things are medically necessary.  That should help.

How likely is it that you will return to the clinic in the future? Probably none.  Perhaps asking for copies of your entire chart would not be a bad idea.  This will help you keep track of progress, (including copies of photos).

I am doing FUE - I plan on going in for five days after the surgery for the shampoo and LLLT. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shadowcast said:

You're probably overthinking everything if you're doing FUE and it's a good doctor. You'll likely be sitting around for those 7 days wishing you were back home in your own bed. Again if it's FUE with a good doctor then you should be able to fly home day after surgery without any problems.

I am definitely over thinking it 🙂, but I think that's pretty normal for most people who are about to undergo this surgery. I would love to back home asap following the surgery but the flight from Bangkok to Melbourne is 9 hours - and the thought of being on a plane for that long a couple of days after surgery isn't appealing. 

2 minutes ago, Hristo13 said:

I am definitely over thinking it 🙂, but I think that's pretty normal for most people who are about to undergo this surgery. I would love to back home asap following the surgery but the flight from Bangkok to Melbourne is 9 hours - and the thought of being on a plane for that long a couple of days after surgery isn't appealing. 

My flight was 8 hours, I left the day after surgery. Went to the airplane bathroom every hour to spray my head with aloe solution. Just made sure I had an aisle seat toward the front. You'll be fine!

• Like 1

I am planning on flying to Thailand (from Sydney) to do a surgery in December. I'm in the trip planning phase now. First HT and first time overseas by myself. 

If I do FUT, how long should I stay in Thailand before I should book my return flight? I was going to stay 7 days, but I feel that might be overkill. 

1 hour ago, _lshy said:

I am planning on flying to Thailand (from Sydney) to do a surgery in December. I'm in the trip planning phase now. First HT and first time overseas by myself. 

If I do FUT, how long should I stay in Thailand before I should book my return flight? I was going to stay 7 days, but I feel that might be overkill. 

I think everyone is different - but for me, I decided to stay a week afterwards so I could go in and have my head shampoo and LLLT for four days following the surgery. I am getting FUE done so I ma not sure if FUT is a longer recovery. Others on here may be able to help answer that. 

• Valued Contributor
7 hours ago, _lshy said:

If it's your first time overseas you may feel like you just want to get back home after surgery to spend the post op period back here in your familiar environment. Personally I love Thailand and would stay the extra time post op because I love the people and culture and for me it would allow me time to recover, go back to the clinic for post op head washing, any post op questions that may arise, etc. From Melbourne (which is further from Thailand than Sydney) the trip is about 8/9 hours depending on weather, etc. Inform the clinic that it will be your first time traveling overseas and to Thailand also. They should offer some reassurance, support etc regarding this. FUT is a little more difficult post op but that really comes down to the individual. Again the best thing is always to discuss any concern you have with the surgeon. I have asked Dr Pradeep and Dr Arika probably the same question 100 times over on many of my concerns and they have been nothing but patient with me and supportive. You want this in a surgeon/s not just before the procedure but even more importantly post op. It's probably a good idea if this is your first surgery and overseas trip to stay longer post op. All the best!

• Like 1

I would not cheap out on accommodations, go to a decent hotel that has room service so you can eat and rest comfortably for a few days. No need to rush home, better to have the clinic wash/check everything those first few crucial days.

• Like 1

How easy is it really for grafts to be damaged or to fall out after 3 to 5 days? 

I'll have my temporal points done as well so I am worried about the rim of a cap putting pressure on the grafts on the side of my head while I'm on the flight back.
Can you fly with a head bandage instead?

Edited by _lshy

10 minutes ago, _lshy said:

How easy is it really for grafts to be damaged or to fall out after 3 to 5 days? 

I'll have my temporal points done as well so I am worried about the rim of a cap putting pressure on the grafts on the side of my head while I'm on the flight back.
Can you fly with a head bandage instead?

Probably very hard to do. You should be fine to wear a cap at that point, just put it on very loosely and a bit lower on your forehead so the rim isn't against the grafts at all and be careful when you put it on and take it off. 

Edited by JDEE0
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Sorry, I didn't want to start a new thread. I hope it is ok to add my question here. It might be helpful for others asking for advice on how to plan their trips.

Is 2 weeks post op a good safe date to fly home?

I know hairs get stabilized before that.

Scabs are out around 7 days.

At 2 weeks there should be no more bleeding, donor area will start to grow right? 

Can wear a cap then if desired, right?

I don't really want to stay longer than that. But, I want to make sure everything is good before I go.

Thanks!

I personally think 2 weeks is way too much unless you have some other reason to stay in the area. I think staying about 3 to 4 days is ideal. If you want to stay a little longer 7 days is still plenty and your hair will be washed by then..

5 hours ago, Needadviceplease said:

Sorry, I didn't want to start a new thread. I hope it is ok to add my question here. It might be helpful for others asking for advice on how to plan their trips.

Is 2 weeks post op a good safe date to fly home?

I know hairs get stabilized before that.

Scabs are out around 7 days.

At 2 weeks there should be no more bleeding, donor area will start to grow right? 

Can wear a cap then if desired, right?

I don't really want to stay longer than that. But, I want to make sure everything is good before I go.

Thanks!

• Like 2