BHT and Finasteride

I was just wondering if this would be counterproductive, I was looking to get some beard grafts into a FUT I had done a while back and knowing that Finasteride in anti androgen. Maybe there is a work around like taking Topical rosemary oil or rosemary extract tablets because I have heard theyre good at blocking DHT. Has anyone had any issues with this after their procedure or has their grafts grown in as normal even while taking finasteride?  

35 minutes ago, John said:

I was just wondering if this would be counterproductive, I was looking to get some beard grafts into a FUT I had done a while back and knowing that Finasteride in anti androgen. Maybe there is a work around like taking Topical rosemary oil or rosemary extract tablets because I have heard theyre good at blocking DHT. Has anyone had any issues with this after their procedure or has their grafts grown in as normal even while taking finasteride?  

Technically - it should be counter productive , as BHT is reliant on dht. However for whatever reason, I’ve seen HT docs still recommended finasteride despite using BHT on patients. 

Yeah Ive seen this also and never seen any Docs say don't use Finasteride if you've had a BHT procedure. I wonder if they don't see this as much of an issue and are still pretty positive about the results

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 7:10 AM, John said:

I've had beard and body hair used for my hair repair and was told not to use fin.  It causes body hair to fall out, which would defeat the point of using it for a transplant.  Make sure you consult with BHT experienced surgeons and see what they say.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AB2000 said:

I've had beard and body hair used for my hair repair and was told not to use fin.  It causes body hair to fall out, which would defeat the point of using it for a transplant.  Make sure you consult with BHT experienced surgeons and see what they say.

Which dr told you this ? 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Are you just trying to fill in a FUT scar? If you're only using a small amount of body hair then it's probably better to continue with finisteride if it was working for you. The more body hair grafts you use then it starts becoming counter productive at some point.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

56 minutes ago, bald-and-bearded said:

His surgeon is Dr Umar Sanusi. He has some impressive results on his Youtube.

Thanks!

Interesting as Umar has always been one of the pioneers for utilising body hair, so his advice on this matter is potentially going to be more reliable, one would have thought. 

I have always thought that logically, a drug that is designed to reduce DHT levels in the body, would be counter productive when using hair follicles for restoration, that are reliant on that very hormone - however there was a thread last year from @Portugal25 where Dr Pekiner had advised him to continue on finasteride, despite the majority of his recipient consisting of beard grafts, which made me assume perhaps otherwise. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, EvoXOhio said:

Everyone is different, but I’ve been on finasteride for a few years and I’ve lost a LOT of body hair. My beard hair is just as thick as ever though. 

I was losing body hair while I was taking finisteride as well. I stopped taking it years ago and my body hair has been increasing ever since.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 6:11 AM, AB2000 said:

Thanks for the feedback!  This is what i was thinking but never really seen any doctors speak about this issue.

On 10/20/2021 at 7:18 PM, BeHappy said:

Are you just trying to fill in a FUT scar? If you're only using a small amount of body hair then it's probably better to continue with finisteride if it was working for you. The more body hair grafts you use then it starts becoming counter productive at some point.

Fill 2 FUT scars.    One is very thin but the other is quite thick so  if I get the BHT i will defo not be  taking the Fin as Im sure over time it will be counterproductive.