Are second procedures successful?

My question is specific to the fact that one could have a hair transplant in the hairline area and all or most of those grafts could fail for whatever reason. After those grafts fail, what's leftover is small scar tissue from those failed grafts. So during a second procedure, would new grafts be able to be implanted in directly into that scar tissue?

Thanks

Edited by fitwhynot

• Administrators

Yes, but if you had a completely failed procedure. You want to make sure there are no underlying conditions such as scarring alopecia. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

19 minutes ago, fitwhynot said:

How is this possible; its scar tissue, no? I thought it was typically unlikely for grafts to be implanted into scar tissue.

No, there are literally thousands of example of successfully planting grafts into a strip scar (from FUT). There is also one from Dr. Vories into a huge MRSA scar (with almost 100 % growth). And there are also many examples of touch-ups into the same recipient area.

@Melvin- Moderator is right: If you have no or very poor growth you should try to find the reason why this has happened. This is very challenging but you number one goal. 

Out of curiosity, is this something you're asking because it's a situation you've found yourself in? Or is it simply a hypothetical scenario that you're curious and concerned about?

The reason I ask is that if it's the second, it's important to note that having a completely failed transplant like you mentioned is extremely unlikely, particularly if you do thorough research and go to a well respected surgeon with a great track record - and therefore, not something I think you should spend too much time thinking about (unless you just like knowing for educational purposes). Best case scenario, you/ll never find yourself in a situation where that would even be something to address. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

A couple of things...first I agree with pkipling that a failed procedure is very unlikely unless there are extenuating circumstances related to the individual.

Let's address the issue with scar tissue...the thing about scar tissue is that there are varying degrees in the composite of scar tissue matter...some of it is on the softer side and some is as tough and dense as cartilage...the real key is blood flow because it's the blood that is the source of life and survival of the grafts.

The point being is that if grafts are connected to a new source of blood supply, there is no reason to believe the regrowth will not take place...sometimes however, if the scar tissue within the recipient area is hard and tough, the hair shafts can have difficulty growing through and we also see this sometimes with tough strip scars when adding new grafts to them.

• Like 3

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I will say that I've had good growth not only in my 2nd procedure but all the way through to my 7th.  Scar tissue isn't an issue for skilled surgeon. 

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group