How does DUPA progress?

It can become an almost complete bald head, but more often then not its very thin pattern thats left, with no donor hair available for transplantation because the hair density  is so thin. DUPA really is hairloss from hell, thankfully its very rare

Any pics of it? I have never seen a completely bald person. I have seen lots of NW7+ bald people who have extremely thin and sparse donor hair but it's still there.

I am starting to think DUPA is not a black and white thing. A lot of bald guys' sides and back also thins out and we call it DUPA only if it becomes too thin. Is this right?

• Administrators

Progresses just like hair loss would

image.png

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

7 hours ago, bald-and-bearded said:

Any pics of it? I have never seen a completely bald person. I have seen lots of NW7+ bald people who have extremely thin and sparse donor hair but it's still there.

I am starting to think DUPA is not a black and white thing. A lot of bald guys' sides and back also thins out and we call it DUPA only if it becomes too thin. Is this right?

Here's an example of an extreme case.  When its all said and done this poor fellow will have almost no hair left on his head

89F81996-7A40-4219-B8C4-680FE03BF788.jpe

7 hours ago, bald-and-bearded said:

Its definitely not a black and white thing, it affects people differently.

When the sides and back also thin out its usually not DUPA, this is called retrograde alopecia, and thats similar but a different animal altogether

• Moderators

This is me a couple of years ago. I had a hair transplant years ago, but if I didn't then the entire top (everything except the NW 7 fringe) would be completely bald, but the sides would be slightly better because there wouldn't have been hair removed via FUT. About half of what's growing everywhere except the NW 7 fringe is from body hair transplants. It's improved since this picture with BHT. It's not DUPA, but it's continuously progressive baldness even after becoming a NW 7. Balding and thinning happens differently in everyone.

1269457112_ScreenShot2021-07-29at3_29_49AM.png.2f9ca2a6cdf70daa1e5cc768aa291635.png

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
On 7/27/2021 at 3:20 PM, giegnosiganoe said:

This video is a good starting point:

He basically says there is no safe zone which is what I've been saying for years.

1529529713_ScreenShot2021-07-29at3_57_05AM.png.610a3151f406407c45543e7e180479da.png

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

3 hours ago, BeHappy said:

This is me a couple of years ago. I had a hair transplant years ago, but if I didn't then the entire top (everything except the NW 7 fringe) would be completely bald, but the sides would be slightly better because there wouldn't have been hair removed via FUT. About half of what's growing everywhere except the NW 7 fringe is from body hair transplants. It's improved since this picture with BHT. It's not DUPA, but it's continuously progressive baldness even after becoming a NW 7. Balding and thinning happens differently in everyone.

1269457112_ScreenShot2021-07-29at3_29_49AM.png.2f9ca2a6cdf70daa1e5cc768aa291635.png

Wow, I feel bad for you.  That has to be one of the worst Norwood 8 I have ever seen.

Did the BHT work out for you? Are you comfortable sharing some pics??

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Westview said:

That has to be one of the worst Norwood 8 I have ever seen.

Yep. I say the same thing to myself all the time. What are the odds that I would have the worst hair loss in history AND have the most hair transplants in history (by far, I think) AND still not have any hair.

20 hours ago, Westview said:

Did the BHT work out for you? Are you comfortable sharing some pics??

It's still a work in progress. I had the last procedure in January, so I'm 6 months out from that and still getting some growth from it. Body hair can take a bit longer to grow, so I'm hoping to still get improvements for the next few months. I'll most likely go back for another session around the end of the year and I'm planning on putting most of those grafts in the midscalp and frontal areas. So far we had to spend thousands of grafts to build up the sides and back, so we haven't been able to put much on top to really make much of a visual difference except for the side view and even that is subtle because I'm still losing hair on the sides and back, so we are only managing to do a bit more than keeping up with the loss. One of these days I'll start my own thread, but I get afraid to see what the comments will be since it's hard to see any real changes in pictures even after over 5000 body grafts. The beard and chest grafts are absolutely growing, but as I said it's just mostly replacing scalp hair that continues to thin out, so it seems like a lot of work or no real benefits if you look at pictures.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

On 7/29/2021 at 1:10 PM, BeHappy said:

Thanks for the reply and the pic. May I ask where you are getting your BHT done? I would love to read your experience whenever you feel comfortable sharing it. Thank you

On 7/28/2021 at 12:50 AM, giegnosiganoe said:

This video is a good starting point:

Thanks for sharing this, but I am confused as hell. He defines something called "BUPA" and the only difference between BUPA and DUPA is that in DUPA you preserve the frontal hairline.

In the end can we conclude that

1. not everyone with thinning in the back and sides have DUPA

2. it is impossible to predict whether someone will go completely bald even if there is some thinning in the donor area. Some hair in the thinning donor area might survive.

On 7/28/2021 at 1:52 AM, Westview said:

Its definitely not a black and white thing, it affects people differently.

When the sides and back also thin out its usually not DUPA, this is called retrograde alopecia, and thats similar but a different animal altogether

No, in retrograde alopecia there is thinning in the sides but in the back it's only restricted to the nape area.

Edited by bald-and-bearded

On 7/30/2021 at 3:46 AM, BeHappy said:

It's still a work in progress. I had the last procedure in January, so I'm 6 months out from that and still getting some growth from it. Body hair can take a bit longer to grow, so I'm hoping to still get improvements for the next few months. I'll most likely go back for another session around the end of the year and I'm planning on putting most of those grafts in the midscalp and frontal areas

Which clinic did you get your BHT done??

On 7/30/2021 at 3:46 AM, BeHappy said:

It's still a work in progress. I had the last procedure in January, so I'm 6 months out from that and still getting some growth from it. Body hair can take a bit longer to grow, so I'm hoping to still get improvements for the next few months. I'll most likely go back for another session around the end of the year and I'm planning on putting most of those grafts in the midscalp and frontal areas. So far we had to spend thousands of grafts to build up the sides and back, so we haven't been able to put much on top to really make much of a visual difference except for the side view and even that is subtle because I'm still losing hair on the sides and back, so we are only managing to do a bit more than keeping up with the loss. One of these days I'll start my own thread, but I get afraid to see what the comments will be since it's hard to see any real changes in pictures even after over 5000 body grafts. The beard and chest grafts are absolutely growing, but as I said it's just mostly replacing scalp hair that continues to thin out, so it seems like a lot of work or no real benefits if you look at pictures.

Do you usually grow out your hair as long as shown in the photo above?  Or do you trim it down to a buzz?  Wouldn't keeping very short hide the lack of density?

• Moderators
On 8/1/2021 at 12:25 PM, Westview said:

Which clinic did you get your BHT done??

True & Dorin

On 8/2/2021 at 12:25 AM, AB2000 said:

Do you usually grow out your hair as long as shown in the photo above?  Or do you trim it down to a buzz?  Wouldn't keeping very short hide the lack of density?

I have a lot of strip scars, scalp reduction scars, and punch scars from removals and re-transplants, so when I trim it short the scars really show up and the pluggyness of the older grafts get much more obvious. There's no good way or length to cut my hair. I'm not disagreeing with you that buzzing it may look better to some people, but I know when I try to go very short the scars bother me more than when my hair is a bit longer, so I rarely go very short. It just is what it is. There's no good way to do it, which is why I'm still trying to fill some areas in with BHT. Otherwise I'd just buzz it down.

OK. I just edited this to add a picture of the back of my head with my hair pulled up to show you what I mean if I buzzed my hair. I just took this yesterday. The picture isn't very clear, but hopefully you get an idea of what I'm dealing with. You can see the retrograde baldness is extremely bad. I only have a small amount of hair where my hand is that I have to grow long to cover all those rows of scars you see. These scars go all around the sides as well. There are about 8 rows of strip scars depending on which section of my head you are counting them. There are different types of scars throughout the top of my head. I had scalp reductions and later lots of plugs of bald scalp removed and sewn together to try to eliminate some space between the original plugs. That was all done back in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

2131497441_OpenIMG_9453.png.b8f0526b83f4dfa7d92a615efa8e64db.png

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)