Shampooing Hair 2x a day - Good or Bad for Hair?

Hi all,

My post-transplant hair is a bit wild without using paste or gel, so I use that whenever I want it to look good. My shower routine thus far has been shower w/o shampoo in the morning, put in product, then shower w/ shampoo at night to remove the product. 

I wasn't really working out due to COVID, but now that the gyms are opening up I've been going again. 

I feel gross not shampooing my hair after working out. So now my routine is 1) workout 2) shower with shampoo 3) put product in 4) shower at shampoo at nighttime when its ready to remove the product. 

Is it bad to shampoo hair 2x a day? I feel I must shampoo my hair after a long sweaty workout. But is shampoo necessary to remove product from my hair, or is water w/o shampoo enough?

If it helps answer, I read that people with naturally greasy hair can benefit from shampooing 2x a day. But my hair is not greasy, so that wouldn't apply. 

So essentially wondering if: 

1) Shampooing 2x a day is bad for hair health?

2) If it is, can I remove all the product from my hair with just water, and is shampoo unnecessary for product removal?

Thanks! 

• Moderators

How far post transplant are you? Transplanted hair usually softens up around 18 months to two years. I had extremely greasy hair when I was younger, so I shampooed my hair twice per day a lot of times. If you don't want to do that I don't see an issue with washing your hair with just water at night. Something else you can try since you say you use a lot of product because your hair is too wild is after the workout try shampooing with a conditioner and no shampoo. That should make your scalp feel clean while leaving it more manageable and hopefully require less hair product. Then you can use shampoo at night. You could also try the opposite, using shampoo in the morning after your workout and conditioner at night.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

@BeHappy I'm 2.5 years past surgery. The transplant hairline hair is pretty curly while the native/natural hairline hair is straight/unremarkable. My donor hair can be curly if I grow my hair out, so perhaps it is just a result of the transplant hair naturally being curly. Or it may have been a surgery error. Regardless, product tames it into a good hairstyle. So while its kind of annoying to use product all the time, my hair can still look great and I've learned to just live and accept it. At the same time, last yr I had a consult with Dr. Diep about it and he said it is not too uncommon, and hair can soften/straighten up to 3-5 years. So I have hope, but still look great with product regardless. 

Thanks for your comments on shampooing! Really helpful. 

My tip: stop using shampoo. I've been washing my hair with water for 3 years. In addition, 1 every 2 weeks with anti-dandruff shampoo. My hair was always very dry and straw-like, but the natural oil makes it much healthier. If you wash your hair twice a day, you destroy the natural lipid layer.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JohnnyR said:

My tip: stop using shampoo. I've been washing my hair with water for 3 years. In addition, 1 every 2 weeks with anti-dandruff shampoo. My hair was always very dry and straw-like, but the natural oil makes it much healthier. If you wash your hair twice a day, you destroy the natural lipid layer.

Do you use any styling products? Imo, if you use certain styling products, you really need to use shampoo to get it all out.

• 2 weeks later...

Do what works for you.  If I skip a day of shampooing my scalp gets extremely irritated and itchy.  Others can go days without shampooing and they are fine.  Experiment with different regimes and see what works best for you. 

Edit* If you are going to shower twice a day, maybe shampoo in the mornings and conditioner at night (?).  Just an idea.  

Edited by aaron1234

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Administrators

I wouldn’t shampoo twice a day, just shampoo after working out. No need to wash your hair first thing in the morning, unless you sweat heavily at night.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.