Hair transplant in Turkey worth it?

Howdy ya'll, 

I was thinking about getting a hair transplant in Turkey, I'm going to be in Europe this summer anyway so it wouldn't be too hard or expensive for me to add a quick trip to Turkey at the end of it, I was wondering if anybody on this site has any experience with the Turkish hair transplant network? I've read some good and bad reviews online, definitely want to make sure I'm going to the right person if I'm going to go all the way over there

Throughout my hair transplant journey, I have had one rule and that's to not take any unnecessary risks with my hair... Or my dick. So in my opinion, I would never compromise by going to Turkey. But I understand some people do have to and there are some pretty good doctors there. I think Dr. Bicer is one that gets suggested a lot

This is the best forum to find open and transparent results (good and bad) you can consider some Clinics in Turkey yes but it’s precious few. 
Dr Bicer, HLC, Pekiner and Keser for example.

If you also look at Spain/Portugal etc though then you have even more options open to you. 
Check out the forums recommended list:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

• Like 1

• Administrators

Is it worth it? Depends on who you go too, there’s a lot of nonsense going on in Turkey, but there a few good ethical doctors doing surgery. Watch my interview with Dr. Bicer 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/COVwlIcnqSh/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

In Turkey there are many places where they do hair transplants, there are hair mills (hundreds), low cost clinics (many) and only 2 or 3, in my opinion are the ones to orient yourself on, such as HLC and Pekiner .

I didn't know that Spain and Portugal were also options, is it also much cheaper to go there as it is in Turkey? I would prefer this option as Iberia would be easier for me to get to...I don't want to skimp on quality for cost of course, but it's very expensive to get this done in the US and Turkey was recommended as a place to potentially get quality work for cheap.

Mine would be relatively small job, only about 1000 grafts is what was prescribed but that will cost me no  less than $5000 stateside...any rough estimates on much i could expect to pay in Turkey vs. Spain/Portugal?

2 hours ago, rgm82 said:

I didn't know that Spain and Portugal were also options, is it also much cheaper to go there as it is in Turkey? I would prefer this option as Iberia would be easier for me to get to...I don't want to skimp on quality for cost of course, but it's very expensive to get this done in the US and Turkey was recommended as a place to potentially get quality work for cheap.

Mine would be relatively small job, only about 1000 grafts is what was prescribed but that will cost me no  less than $5000 stateside...any rough estimates on much i could expect to pay in Turkey vs. Spain/Portugal?

In Turkey, HLC is 2.7 Euro/graft. Dr. Pekiner is around 2.25/graft. Dr. Bicer is 3/graft. I think Dr. Keser is 3.5/graft. These are the most expensive clinics in Turkey

Elsewhere, I'll offer my personal favorites. In Spain, there's Dr. Lorenzo and Dr. De Freitas. Dr. Cuoto has some brilliant use cases, but he's not accepting new patients. In Portugal, there's Dr. Bruno Ferreira and Dr. Bruno Pinto. And you should consider Dr. Bisanga in Brussels.

Prices will be from 3-5 Euro/graft. All top shelf surgeons.

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, rgm82 said:

Dr. De Freitas charges nearly the same price as the good clinics in Turkey. I believe it’s around 2.5-3 euros per graft. He’s one of the best.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Dr Bicer is €1.5 per graft for Automated FUE and €3 for manual FUE

Her price is definitely the lowest for the best quality. 

View my thread

Huh, 3 Euros per graft doesn't really seem at all worth it when factoring in the dollar to euro conversion rate plus the travel expenses of getting there, seems like I'm hardly saving any money at all...wonder why folks seem so hot on Turkey as a such a big money saver for hair transplants

3 hours ago, rgm82 said:

Huh, 3 Euros per graft doesn't really seem at all worth it when factoring in the dollar to euro conversion rate plus the travel expenses of getting there, seems like I'm hardly saving any money at all...wonder why folks seem so hot on Turkey as a such a big money saver for hair transplants

Who in the US is offering $5/graft for FUE? The best, arguably Konior, charges like $13/graft for FUE. You might get a top doc for $6-8 for FUT.

I'd prefer any of the above docs at €3/graft doctor than a US doc at $5. That's what I did. I went to Turkey and paid $12,500 for 4,200 grafts €2.5/graft at HLC Ankara. Considering that a US clinic would have been at least twice that much, I flew business class and stayed a week in a 5* hotel... and still saved money. And got a mini vacation out of it.

5 hours ago, rgm82 said:

A bad hair transplant won't leave you out of pocket and looking the same in terms of hair loss.  You will look worse than had you done nothing.  If you chose wrong you will have a result you'll regret for the rest of your life.  That's why people here say don't make cost your main deciding factor.  Make very sure you're going to a place with established results.  If it's too expensive, then don't go.

• Like 6

• Administrators
1 minute ago, AB2000 said:

A bad hair transplant won't leave you out of pocket and looking the same in terms of hair loss.  You will look worse than had you done nothing.  If you chose wrong you will have a result you'll regret for the rest of your life.  That's why people here say don't make cost your main deciding factor.  Make very sure you're going to a place with established results.  If it's too expensive, then don't go.

Spot on. People act like hair transplants are like buying a TV. You get what you pay for, sure go to Turkey and get one of these all inclusive deals where your donor gets demolished and your hairline is filled with multi’s that look like a dolls head. 

• Like 2

View my thread

Idk I'm new to all this I don't know what a hair transplant should cost, I only know I was quoted at around $5k from the Italian guy from Houston...Arocha I think? I hear he's supposed to be quite good. It's not that I'm looking solely for the cheapest option but it is a pricey procedure no matter what so that is a factor of course. So I hear some Turkish docs can give similar results for a fraction of the cost and of course I'm intrigued assuming the docs there are legit...makes perfect sense to me, I know people who go to mexico for their dental work, you're not necessarily getting a downgrade in quality it's just that your dollar goes further in some places, right? But it it's going to run me up to 3k or more Euro plus the travel expenses I may as well just drive to Houston for an afternoon and pay $5k

...I mean you'd buy that cheap TV if it were a nice Sony marked down 75% on clearance, wouldn't you? We all go for the less expensive option when all the other factors are more or less equal, that's not being a cheap-ass that's just basic financial literacy

Anyway, here's what the hairline looks like now, I drew red lines where it used to be, this is what I'm looking to get restored...I had a consult, I'm apparently a good candidate, hair loss seems to have stabilized and I have donor sites out the wazoo, hair is super thick everywhere else

hairlineinred.jpg

Edited by rgm82

2 hours ago, rgm82 said:

...I mean you'd buy that cheap TV if it were a nice Sony marked down 75% on clearance, wouldn't you? We all go for the less expensive option when all the other factors are more or less equal, that's not being a cheap-ass that's just basic financial literacy

I understand what you mean, but that's when you're comparing results that are more or less equal, and you go with the better price.  If you wind up at a hair mill in Turkey or elsewhere the downside is potential disfigurement.  Have a look at some of the patient threads.  Often you will find good transplant photos and people want to share, but you will also see others who have unnatural looking results that they will have to live with or spend a lot of money trying to fix, all the while losing donor hair that will never be available again.  If you can tolerate your hairline for awhile hold back and use this resource.  Tonnes of stories here that will give you good options on where to go on your budget.  And it's free.

Two international doctors turned me down based on my not being a candidate for them, and both are no longer recommended here and have a number of unhappy clients.  Had they been more willing to take my money and I didn't search around enough I could have been one of the people angry about what I did in going to one of them in the first place.

• Like 1

Since there are hundreds of clinics in turkey, but only a handful of good ones with higher cost, most people go for the super cheap hair transplant. You can find hairmills that charge 2.000 Euros for 3.000 Grafts including accomodation and airport transport. If you speak turkish, you can find even cheaper ones. Not recommended at all!

Edited by Forty Six & 2
  • Like 1

• Administrators
15 hours ago, rgm82 said:

Idk I'm new to all this I don't know what a hair transplant should cost, I only know I was quoted at around $5k from the Italian guy from Houston...Arocha I think? I hear he's supposed to be quite good. It's not that I'm looking solely for the cheapest option but it is a pricey procedure no matter what so that is a factor of course. So I hear some Turkish docs can give similar results for a fraction of the cost and of course I'm intrigued assuming the docs there are legit...makes perfect sense to me, I know people who go to mexico for their dental work, you're not necessarily getting a downgrade in quality it's just that your dollar goes further in some places, right? But it it's going to run me up to 3k or more Euro plus the travel expenses I may as well just drive to Houston for an afternoon and pay $5k

Anyway, here's what the hairline looks like now, I drew red lines where it used to be, this is what I'm looking to get restored...I had a consult, I'm apparently a good candidate, hair loss seems to have stabilized and I have donor sites out the wazoo, hair is super thick everywhere else

hairlineinred.jpg

A bad TV can be thrown away, a bad hair transplant stays with you forever. Make sense? This is your head we’re talking about here, not some inanimate object, which can be discarded if not good. 

• Like 1

View my thread

I guess the main point to be made is whatever TV you buy be it full retail or a wholesale or on clearance or whatever is you do the research and gather the information before making the purchase, right?...I can always go to Arocha, I have the quote I live in Texas, I know him to be one of the best, it's always an option I just have to save a little more to make it happen.

Or if I can possibly find someone just as good in Turkey who is charging much less and can possibly get me in during the window in which I will already be in Europe anyway this is potentially a good choice as well, no? I'm not in a huge rush, I'm just going to be in that part of the world in a few months anyway so I figure it's at least worth looking into...the refrain I feel I keep hearing is Bicer, Pekiner and HLC are the best over there, would I be sacrificing much in quality if I go with one of them or are they also very good choices in comparison to Arocha or other surgeons stateside? If so then maybe I reach out to all three and get quotes, then do the cost benefit analysis - if their cost is much less than Arocha's quote even accounting for travel/lodging expenses and the dollar-euro conversion rate then perhaps it's a good option for me, if it turns out that it's not much or any savings however then perhaps I wait and save a little more and go with Arocha later.

That's all this post is about, it's just fact finding: A) figure out who in Turkey is good/on the level with the better american doctors and B) get a sense of how much they charge and based on that is it worth it for me? Mine would be a relatively small job, my sense is that the more grafts you get probably the more value there is in buying a plane ticket, booking a hotel and spending a week or whatever in Turkey getting this done. But the only way to know for sure is to figure out who the top doctors are, get the quotes, research the plane tix/hotel accommodations and crunch the numbers

Edited by rgm82

I would roughly estimate, that you need 3.000 grafts. I am not familiar with the prices in the US, so I don't know how much you could save. HLC and Pekiner are among the best FUE-Clinics in the world. Check out their results in this forum. Of course there is never guarantee for a succesful transplant.

• Like 1