Minoxidil and Libido

Hi everyone, 

I posted this same question in a previous thread I made, so sorry for the duplication. Thought it might be better in its own thread.

I had my HT eight months ago. Love the results but have noticed libido loss. 

I've taken my finasteride usage down to one tablet a week and have taken a break from minoxidil but plan to restart soon. 

Does minoxidil have any effect on libido loss? And if so, are there any forms which don't suppress the libido? 

Thanks, Gareth 

35 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Hi everyone, 

I posted this same question in a previous thread I made, so sorry for the duplication. Thought it might be better in its own thread.

I had my HT eight months ago. Love the results but have noticed libido loss. 

I've taken my finasteride usage down to one tablet a week and have taken a break from minoxidil but plan to restart soon. 

Does minoxidil have any effect on libido loss? And if so, are there any forms which don't suppress the libido? 

Thanks, Gareth 

I’ve never came across any evidence to suggest minoxidil affects libido, aside from perhaps 2-3 patients on forums asking the same question out of the 1000’s of threads I have read over the last 8 years. 

Theoretically, it could potentially even enhance sexual performance, as it is a vasodilator after all. 

If you are on finasteride as well as Minox - it is more likely to be the former that is the culprit, if the libido loss is associated with your medical regime. 

• Administrators

Minoxidil does not alter any hormones. Libido can be low for various reasons, but not minoxidil.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hey, I have a question regarding your fin regime. I want to apply as low dosage as needed and also was wondering about taking it just once per week. Is it working for you? And what dosage do you take?

Minoxidil is a vasodilator and has no bearing on hormones. I've never come across a case with minoxidil induced loss of libido.

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• 6 months later...
On 5/13/2021 at 6:37 PM, Mat16 said:

Hey, I have a question regarding your fin regime. I want to apply as low dosage as needed and also was wondering about taking it just once per week. Is it working for you? And what dosage do you take?

Hi, sorry, just seen this. Didn't notice any great change in my hair after going down to one tablet tbh. 

There are a number of medical and unrelated conditions that can affect libido.  However, minoxidil doesn't affect or alter male hormone levels and thus, should not affect it.  On a similar note, while Propecia can actually affect libido, often times Propecia is blamed when there are other underlying issues causing it.  Thus, those experiencing libido related issues are advised to seek medical advice from a physician.  

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Clinic - Answers to questions and posts using this account are strictly opinions and not to be considered medical advice.