First HT not so satisfied result, waiting for second HT results

would'nt it be financially wise to keep the one or two percent of slow growers happy than to scare away 10% of possible future patients?

i agree with you on what you are saying for the most part, but this statement is somewhat unclear with me "wouldn't it be financially wise to keep the one or two percent of slow growers happy than to scare away 10% of possible future patients?"

did you mean "failed growers", because there is nothing wrong with being a slow grower as long as final result is satisfactory.

also i would disagree with your 10% figure as i'd boost that up to 30%-40%.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Best of luck unfortunate, you are in good hands, you can tell Dr. feller really cares if he didn't he would not even bother to reply and get in contact with you. If all the Dr's in the world were open to do that this world would be a better place! Kudos to every Dr. on here who contributed and most of all to you Unfortunate!

World Class HT-Dr. Ron Shapiro 6/29/2009 4792 FU Total Hairs-9731

yeah good luck unfortunateHT!

is the second procedure free? do you know appx. how many grafts you'll be getting the second time around? be excited but don't be tense. just relax and stay positive. it's the only way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay guys, I had my second surgery on May 15th everything went smooth but not as excepted. As my scalp at donor area was tight Dr.Feller could extract only 1400 grafts and not 2000+ grafts that we have targeted earlier. As there were less grafts obtained from strip, Dr.Feller had dealt it tactfully and filled all 1400 grafts in left half as i usually comb from left to right. I will be filling in around 600+ grafts in the right half in two FUE sessions in near future.

Updated surgery day pics in gallery, after surgery pics are not that clear because of those white little things on grafts. I got my staples removed on 26th May and also got a PRP injection on same day.

I will keep you updated with monthly progress and about my FUE sessions.

Opinions, comments and suggestions always welcome.

UHT---.. thats sucks about your lack of laxity, glad to see your getting some FUE as a result.. will you be charged 10$ per graft for it?.. hope not. i find this to be a unique and interesting case with you getting a 'onesided' transplant.. it seems your most thin behind the hairline.. i hope you get a result that you are pleased with my friend.

also please let us know what you think of your PRP session in the coming months, if you feel it has strenghtened your native hair or helped maintain.. best of luck man

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

• 2 weeks later...

Dr Feller

Please forgive me for my concern

I would never allow any Doctor to plant 1400 grafts on only one side of my forehead.

How Is that going to look?

Is it not a duty of care for Doctors to ensure the most natural possible result by spreading the grafts along the natural basisline?

Can you confirm this will be a natural result?

I have my doubts.

I hope, sincerely, my concerns are unfounded, but on the basis of this action I would not go to you.

I hope you will see a bright future for your second transplant! But I have to think that maybe you were a good candidate for shaving your head before the first surgery. I think guys with a darker head can pull it off pretty cool! I know it's too late now with the strip scar though.

Once again I hope all is well!

Predator,

No need to be concerned, "weighted" hair transplantation is nothing new and has worked out very well for paitents with limited donor resources. What you are failing to realize is that he does have hair on the other side, it was just shaved for the surgery.

You do not know the details of this situation as they have not all been published, so you may want to reserve your judgment until you have ALL the facts.

You've been on this site for some time, do I seem like the kind of doctor who acts capriciously or stupidly? Do you think I just woke up one morning and forgot how to execute a proper HT procedure?

There is a reason for everything I have done for this particular patient and if you knew all the details, and were a competent surgeon, I suspect you would have done the same exact thing.

But lets put that statment to the test. Please contact any coalition doctor and ask them about this case and what they would have done. I already know the answer, but you seem to need that reassurance, so I invite you to do so. I look forward to your investigation and the dissolution of your doubts.

Rach,

The choice of shaving his head was discussed and ruled out long before his first surgery.

We will update this patient as he grows and visits the office. But I remind ALL viewers there is more to this case than has been published.

But I remind ALL viewers there is more to this case than has been published.

i'd really like to know what that is.

any chance you could share that info with us Dr. Feller?

i think it would be very beneficial for this community.

but if it's something "very personal" then i can understand that.

Regarding "weighted" transplants, this was also the approach that Dr. Feller took with my second procedure second procedure -- which, granted, was different from the case of the patient who is the focus of this thread. Given that I part my hair on the left and will always do so, and therefore would benefit from maximum density on the left, Dr. Feller planted 2-hair grafts in the left "temple triangle" area, and single-hair grafts in the right (Dr. Feller, please confirm my facts here).

This photo, taken the evening after my procedure, seems to be an example of two aspects of how "weighting" worked for me.

* In the temple-triangle areas (top of the head, extending back from the left and right temples respectively), the greater density is not particularly evident when looking at the newly transplanted hair, nor in later photos of the top of the head, but in total work subtly to give the hair more bulk, based on the way I generally wear it. The result is a strategic "construction" of hair matched to my unique style and characteristics, but that looks natural.

* There is a small rectangular-looking area near the crown , into which Dr. Feller had opted not to transplant hair, given the particular hair loss pattern in that area. In the photo, the line between that area and the recipient area is highly pronounced, because my light hair was shaved down to my similarly light scalp, causing it to stand out vividly against the just-planted grafts near it. Again, in later photos, once the redness of the recipient area had subsided, there is no visible difference between the above two areas.

Benjamin

Unfortunate looks like he will bald to a NW6 level and I don't think he's taking anything to prevent further loss, Weighted transplants are nothing new, normally carried out on patients who are very bald or older, i'm sure there are examples also on Dr Feller's website.

This is the best way for Unfortunate to get good coverage, especially in light of his poor yield, possible vascular issues.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

Dr Feller

You are a highly respected surgeon with a proven track record of results; naturally I am not in position of all the facts, or am I even a layman in terms of the knowledge that others on this site have.

It is not my intention to cast a shadow on your execution. I have probably judged the procedure, on the basis of the visual information provided, and on the basis of my own expectations. Which would be in another direction.

Certainly I won't be performing any research with other Doctors to justify a point of view, for the sake of it

In the end all that matters is the satisfaction of the patient and I sincerly hope for that, for the author of this thread.

Should my previous post have been seen as as slur on your professionalism and expertise, than I apologise for it without reserve.

My personal opinion is that you set aside 3000 for the frontal third, use it, get on finsteride and wait and see if you can live with a bald spot at the back of your head. its certainly mitigates the appearance to at least have a framed face from a frpntal third of what appears like full hair.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

unfortunateHT,

what are you thoughts about all this right now?

looks like some kind of a compromise between you and Dr. Feller has been reached.

so how do you feel right now? you OK with "only one side"?

also there was something else that you forgot to mention to us regarding your "non-optimal" growth. do you mind sharing with us what that was/is? will that same factor effect the second round???

i wish you all the best this time around and truly hope that in the end you'll be a happy customer.

happy growing bro!

• 2 months later...

This is a very useful thread to someone trying to understand the complications that can result.

It also gives me more confidence in this forum, because you are honest enough to allow this discussion.

On the other major board they would delete the patients posts.

This is a very useful thread to someone trying to understand the complications that can result.

It also gives me more confidence in this forum, because you are honest enough to allow this discussion.

On the other major board they would delete the patients posts.

i agree hairadv, i applaude this forum for allowing the open discussion they do.

anyone know how things are for UHT at this point....after his recent one sided HT that feller decided was the best course of action

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

Sorry for the late update.

Got my FUE done on July 9th - 250 grafts, it was a cakewalk for me after two rounds of strip HTs. Dr.Feller used all of it on the right half of the receded hair line which is behind my first HT recipient area. I have updated the gallery with my FUE Pics.

To answer the questions:

1) GQ and others,

I agree with Dr.Feller on weighted hair transplant because of limited resource and at the same time he has taken all measures to get a natural look when the hair grows in HT-2 area.

2) Speegs,

Dr.Feller has given exact same advise to cover frontal third part first , so far all of my HT hair went to frontal third part (2000 + 1400 + 250) = 3650 grafts.

3) GQ,

reg non-optimal growth from my first HT, I am not sure what went wrong. I hope this doesn't repeat for my 2nd strip Surg and FUE

PRP experience:

As I said before I got my PRP injection on May 26th, not sure how much this is going to help but I had minor pain in PRP injected area for almost a month. I wanted to give it a shot as I heard that there are no side effects.

I am also using Rogaine and 1/4th tablet of finasteride daily. If there is any improvement in my hair growth I will not be sure if PRP is helping or the combination of Rogaine and finsteridine.

4 months post second HT / 2 months post FUE:

I have Uploaded few pics, quality is not that great. I tried taking pics with both of my digi cams out of which these are the ones relatively best. I should get an SLR soon.

I can see front left side is bit more dense than right but you will the difference is not obvious when you first look at it. FUE grafts are yet to grow as its been only 2 months and that is where you can see a patch in the middle.

To my surprise i have seen one downside after strip-2, I observed that my hair density below scar reduced considerably. I wish this is only shock loss but its been 4 months and i don't see any significant recovery yet. It is little strange now that the scar is not visible but hair below the scar has become so thin that I can see the scalp 1/2 inch below scar. I have upload few pics too regarding this.

Yet to meet Dr.Feller, I am traveling lot these days and couldn't schedule appointment but will do it soon to get a better understanding.

I think I need to wait for at least 2 more months to see results.