First HT not so satisfied result, waiting for second HT results

Originally posted by FacelessMan:
I don't think anyone on meds ran in the bathroom crying after reading that Faceless. Some people are far too sensitive anyways, even on an anonymous board.

That's an interesting perspective. So who gets to decide who's "too sensitive?" Flippant comments about "going off meds" don't make YOU "run to the bathroom crying," or the equivalent, perhaps because YOU may not have any idea what it's actually like to live with someone who's depressed, or live with it yourself. For others, it's not that fucking funny.

As for me, a friend of mine would have been killed had he not been arrested after an incredibly scary "going off his meds."

The point wasn't that one internet comment is going to wound someone, it's about an attitude. The whole "moderation" of boards like this is supposedly about creating a "community" of respect and openness....so being highly sensitive to others' feelings about their bald and balding heads, and being cavalier about "meds," is bullshit.

My $.02, nothing more.

Benjamin

Benjamin,

You made a very fair point. To Bill's credit he already apologized. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benjamin,

I see that you sent me a private message and then just as quickly recanted.

Why you feel my apology was insincere and/or what I've done to wrong you to make you believe my motives are "self serving", I don't know. I also see you called me a hypocrite in my faith as a Christian. Of course, I'm not sure where you got the idea that Christians were without any blame. Christians are forgiven, not perfect.

In fact, some may take your religious misconceptions and bias very offensively and accuse you of the same blatant disrespect.

I'm certainly empathetic to those who are on medication for mental disease. In fact, I've been an avid supporter and mentor to a friend of mine suffering from depression and previously had suicidal thoughts.

I've already acknowledged my poor judgement in making that statement and apologized for it. If you want to continue to discuss this issue, this thread is not the place for it.

Feel free to send me another private message to discuss this further, but don't delete it this time.

Bill

I deleted the message because I sent it in haste without adequately weighing my words. I had assumed that deleting it meant it was completely gone. My apologies.

That said, if this thread is not the place to discuss this issue, why are you discussing my PM in it?

I have nothing more to say on the topic.

Benjamin

In fact, some may take your religious misconceptions and bias very offensively and accuse you of the same blatant disrespect.

Actually, I wrote nothing insulting about Christians whatsoever. Which I share here, only because you've opted to broadcast a private message while mis-quoting it.

Dr. Konior's post is so good, it deserves to be read and reread. Regarding his comments about variability in results:

"There is no question that every surgeon on this planet has his or her patients who are not 100% satisfied. To deny that would imply arrogance, inexperience or blindness on behalf of the boasting party."

One of the best parts of our annual ISHRS conference is the "live patient viewing" in which surgeons bring their patients to be viewed and inspected by their colleagues. I have yet to see any doctor present perfect results or perfect growth (and these were presumably their best cases). Although I try my best in every case, I know that I don't get 100% growth 100% of the time.

"I have always viewed patients and their scalps like fingerprints or snowflakes ??“ no two are alike. The gamut that exists in the real world includes: 1) old patients versus young patients; 2) thin scalps versus thick scalps; 3) dry scalps versus oozing scalps; 4) miniaturized hair versus non-miniaturized hair; 5) thick caliber hair versus thin caliber hair; 6) high follicular-unit density versus low follicular-unit density; 7) high contrast hair versus low contrast hair; 8) high patient expectations versus low patient expectation; 9) responders to medical management versus non-responders; and 10) uneventful healers versus eventful healers. The intrinsic variables associated with this procedure contribute to the wide range of results that we all see on a day to day basis. Those of us who are really committed to this procedure do all we can to produce the best results possible, but these many variables confound the overall process and lead to results that vary from patient to patient.

There are variables associated with all surgical disciplines that can affect outcomes in a variety of ways."

In addition to the variable hair & scalp parameters that different patients have, the variability in "healing" factors deserves more discussion. Any doctor doing surgery on a regular basis notes that the exact same technique yields different results. Usually this falls along a bell curve: most get the expected results, while a few get either better or worse than expected results. I think that oxygenation/circulation issues are one of the main factors here. I did a study on over 80 transplant patients using a high tech oxygen meter on loan to me. The surprising finding was that baseline oxygen levels vary markedly among different patients. Oxygen content is a key factor in graft survival, especially in the first few days post op when the grafts have yet to develop their own capillary network. This may be one explanation for varying results in graft growth, in addition to the factors Dr. Konior mentioned.

Perhaps I missed it, but UHT, were you on finasteride in the past? Please go and talk with Dr. Feller. He's a great surgeon that has his patient's best interest at heart. Good luck.

Dr. Cooley

"I have always viewed patients and their scalps like fingerprints or snowflakes ??“ no two are alike. The gamut that exists in the real world includes: 1) old patients versus young patients; 2) thin scalps versus thick scalps; 3) dry scalps versus oozing scalps; 4) miniaturized hair versus non-miniaturized hair; 5) thick caliber hair versus thin caliber hair; 6) high follicular-unit density versus low follicular-unit density; 7) high contrast hair versus low contrast hair; 8) high patient expectations versus low patient expectation; 9) responders to medical management versus non-responders; and 10) uneventful healers versus eventful healers. The intrinsic variables associated with this procedure contribute to the wide range of results that we all see on a day to day basis. Those of us who are really committed to this procedure do all we can to produce the best results possible, but these many variables confound the overall process and lead to results that vary from patient to patient.

I think the above quote really sums it up very comprehensively. People spend too much time talking about graft numbers, and not enough time talking about all of the other factors listed here.

Thanks for the great post Dr. Cooley.

I had an appointment with Dr.Feller yesterday. He did evaluate the case, went over some old notes - things like why did we go with 2000+grafts and not more, need for second HT which was forecasted but not this early mainly bcoz of my hair loss which was not expected to be this severe post HT and added to that less than expected yield. He also expressed his interest to fix it and advised me on what needs to be done in case if I don't want to go with him for my second HT.

It is quiet obvious that it needs to be fixed ASAP. I have decided to go with Dr.Feller for my second HT, will be booking my surgery date sometime in May.

Thanks all for your valuable opinions which made me decide where to go. I know all the members, including myself and Dr.Feller are waiting to see this fixed. I will keep you posted about my second HT procedure and progress.

Glad you found a solution you seem comfortable, UHT. Def keep us posted like LMS mentioned -- you have everyone's support!

Btw, what Dr. Cooley said was pretty interesting....about oxygenation. I'd love to see more info and study done on that; would also be cool to know my own levels, though I assume the machine he referenced is crazy expensive and difficult to get yer paws on...

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

UnfortunateHT,

I'm pleased to hear that you had a productive consultation with Dr. Feller and that you are going to give him the chance to give you the head of hair you deserve.

I trust he will do everything he can to ensure you get the best hair transplant possible.

I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress and share your monthly updates with us.

All the best for restoring your hair,

Bill

uht

glad to hear you visit with dr feller went to your satisfaction. my feeling is he would have treated you the same way w/o this post. there was some good that came out of this post. many newbies will see that anything might happen with surgery. a doctors 97% success rate means nothing to the other 3%.

dr fellers pride alone will ensure he will do his best on 2nd ht. that's the best part of arrogance, you have to be better & try harder to be arrogant.

good luck & keep us updated with pics. if you're ever out on long island & want to meet for a beer let me know.

rtc

Good luck unfortunate HT! Keep in mind however about Dr. Cooley's comment about variability of results. Be optimistic, but know that there factors that are beyond your doctor's control.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Congratulations on your decision to allow Dr Feller to continue to work with you and you HT aims. Without a doubt Feller is up there with the very best and he has your best interests at heart. I look forwarding to following your progression and wish you all the luck with better results this time round.

What a sometimes contreversial yet an interesting and highly popular post this has been. Lets all push for a successful ending!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

It is amazing how opinions could differ depending on "what side of the street" you look at the situation from. However, if this is sincerely a rare occurence (less than 2%) and we (referring to doctors and patients) are sincerely on the same team here. I don't think it should be to much to ask Dr. Feller or any Dr. that is a member of this coalition to fix UHT for free. As a matter of fact, it should be a requirement to particiapate on this site. Once again, if this is that rare of an occurance-- would'nt it be financially wise to keep the one or two percent of slow growers happy than to scare away 10% of possible future patients?