Let's Go! Just hailed an Uber for my drive to Dr. Konior's Chicago office. First HT ever...

1 minute ago, notsosure said:

Oh, nice. Here's what Dr. Konior said this morning about the exercise stuff after I asked this "Can I workout 100% normally now without worrying about grafts falling out or being damaged from sweat etc? I'll be sweating a lot. And I suppose I'll have a towel handy and will just pat the towel and not rub. Is that what you'd suggest?"

His response: "Hello Brad, Full workout is fine.  No worry about sweating or towel drying."

My guess is it's a bit dependent on how many grafts and the type of procedure (FUE vs FUT). I got 2200 grafts and FUE.

Cool, good to know. I have had some pimple looking things in the recipient area, no shedding yet I don't think. So I have been weary about sweating/getting hot too soon due to those coming and going. 

Definitely the grafts are safe! After 7 days if you don't have scabs, 9 days with scabs (so they say). I was feeling pretty safe at a 10 day milestone. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 9:41 PM, Harry Bosch said:

Looking good, man.

I am consulting with Dr. K myself.  I’ll try to remember to negotiate the personal drop-off post-procedure.

Make sure you get something better than Chipotle though. Chicago has so much great food from all the YT vids I've seen of them. If you go with Konior, make sure he throws in a Chicago style hotdog or deep dish pizza man

Edited by deeznuts

30 minutes ago, deeznuts said:

Make sure you get something better than Chipotle though. Chicago has so much great food from all the YT vids I've seen of them. If you go with Konior, make sure he throws in a Chicago style hotdog or deep dish pizza man

Agreed, although Door Dash Chipotle + Hotel is a pretty decent combination. 🙂

Edited by notsosure

On 4/20/2021 at 10:00 AM, notsosure said:

Oh, nice. Here's what Dr. Konior said this morning about the exercise stuff after I asked this "Can I workout 100% normally now without worrying about grafts falling out or being damaged from sweat etc? I'll be sweating a lot. And I suppose I'll have a towel handy and will just pat the towel and not rub. Is that what you'd suggest?"

His response: "Hello Brad, Full workout is fine.  No worry about sweating or towel drying."

My guess is it's a bit dependent on how many grafts and the type of procedure (FUE vs FUT). I got 2200 grafts and FUE.

Just to add something about Dr. Konior. I had three procedures with him, the last one being at the end of 2016, so it's been a while. A few months ago, I sent him an email with a question regarding finasteride and minoxidil and and he responded within an hour or two. And that's exactly how he was immediately after a procedure. The guy is utterly first class - a consummate professional who cares deeply about his patients - even one he hasn't seen in years. Plus, he's cool as hell. 😁 I'm not in the least bit surprised he dropped you off at your hotel after the surgery.

A word of advice about the procedure - be patient. It takes a while for the full results to materialize but it will be worth the wait. You had your procedure done by one of the best, and from your pictures, I'm pretty certain you're going to be a really happy guy by the time Christmas rolls around.

Edited by icehaid
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, icehaid said:

Just to add something about Dr. Konior. I had three procedures with him, the last one being at the end of 2016, so it's been a while. A few months ago, I sent him an email with a question regarding finasteride and minoxidil and and he responded within an hour or two. And that's exactly how he was immediately after a procedure. The guy is utterly first class - a consummate professional who cares deeply about his patients - even one he hasn't seen in years. Plus, he's cool as hell. 😁 I'm not in the least bit surprised he dropped you off at your hotel after the surgery.

A word of advice about the procedure - be patient. It takes a while for the full results to materialize but it will be worth the wait. You had your procedure done by one of the best, and from your pictures, I'm pretty certain you're going to be a really happy guy by the time Christmas rolls around.

So good to hear. Thanks for posting. I plan to start using Rogaine as soon as the little scabs are totally one from the recipient area. They're starting to fall out now (Day 15), but have about 50% to go.

Are you using Rogaine and if so, do you notice any side effects? I've never taken it before and am curious if it's been worth it for you?

1 hour ago, notsosure said:

So good to hear. Thanks for posting. I plan to start using Rogaine as soon as the little scabs are totally one from the recipient area. They're starting to fall out now (Day 15), but have about 50% to go.

Are you using Rogaine and if so, do you notice any side effects? I've never taken it before and am curious if it's been worth it for you?

I'm not the best guide for you on Minoxidil, as my experience with it is very different than a recent HT patient. I didn't start using it until 4 years *after* my last HT. Since December 2020, I've been using the 5% generic foam 1x per day (the label recommends 2x, but I just do it once) on the back of my head. I wasn't expecting much at this stage, but in 4+ months of, there is some minor regrowth and thickening - and no side effects. I'll take it.

I also take generic Finasteride (Proscar) 1.25 mg/day. Long ago, when Propecia 1 mg was expensive (it still may be, I don't know), my general doc agreed to prescribe me the generic 5mg, which I quarter, so a 30 day prescription lasts 4 months.  Finally, use good shampoo. It doesn't "solve" anything, but it certainly can help with hair shaft and scalp health. I use Nioxin shampoo and conditioner, and skip the serum.

Edited by icehaid
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, here's my 28 day post op. I'd say 99% of the little scabs are gone. I think I'm losing some of the recipient area hair. Not a ton, but I've noticed some of it is falling out. A lot of the numbness is gone. I still feel a little, but it's slowly going away. I think I have a little bit of shock loss, but it's tough to tell since I've never had my hair this length before.

I'm curious, do you all think I'll keep the recipient area hair at this point (day 28 in), or is this pretty typical where I'll shed it all in the next couple of weeks?

And secondly, I'm considering shaving the other hair down shorter, so it'll better match the new area. Is that a bad idea, in terms of screwing up the grafts?

Thanks.

brad_bald9.jpg

brad_bald10.jpg

9 minutes ago, notsosure said:

Hey everyone, here's my 28 day post op. I'd say 99% of the little scabs are gone. I think I'm losing some of the recipient area hair. Not a ton, but I've noticed some of it is falling out. A lot of the numbness is gone. I still feel a little, but it's slowly going away. I think I have a little bit of shock loss, but it's tough to tell since I've never had my hair this length before.

I'm curious, do you all think I'll keep the recipient area hair at this point (day 28 in), or is this pretty typical where I'll shed it all in the next couple of weeks?

And secondly, I'm considering shaving the other hair down shorter, so it'll better match the new area. Is that a bad idea, in terms of screwing up the grafts?

Thanks.

brad_bald9.jpg

brad_bald10.jpg

Looks damn good.

• Like 1

Wow looks really good. Yes you can shave but be careful ! Will still be sensitive after a month. You will not mess up the grafts. 
Your shedding will most likely continue. It’s much more likely to shed all the grafts than keep them. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Wow looks really good. Yes you can shave but be careful ! Will still be sensitive after a month. You will not mess up the grafts. 
Your shedding will most likely continue. It’s much more likely to shed all the grafts than keep them. 

Got it. Thanks! I'll hold off on shaving then. What I'm finding interesting is I'm concerned about 0% as to people I don't know seeing me with this weird hair cut, but care far more about seeing people I do know, like in-laws, and even my own parents.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, notsosure said:

Thanks.

brad_bald9.jpg

brad_bald10.jpg

Keep it and say you got a sun burn. So where a hat. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I just looked at my pics and you have much more recipient remaining than I did at 28 days however I had no scabbing at any point.  

My redness was gone after week 3 but you seem to be more fair skin than I so reasonable that you have a tiny bit left.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...