Let's Go! Just hailed an Uber for my drive to Dr. Konior's Chicago office. First HT ever...

Hey all. Long time lurker/reader. I think I created my account here about 10 years ago. I'm now 42 and it's finally time to take the plunge. After LOTS of research and lots of nerves, I finally scheduled FUE surgery with Dr. Konior. I've just hailed an Uber and it's 9 min away. I've never had an HT before. Never shaved my head before. And never even been to his office before. This is all very new and I'm not sure what exactly I'm getting myself into, but here we go!

I'll post updates throughout the process.

Here's to a very long day! 6:30am to 7:30pm ish...

Let's go!

Edited by notsosure
  • Like 6

Its okay to be nervous or scared.  I was literally sh*tting my pants for my first surgery.

2nd surgery becomes much easier, and from what I've read your 3rd surgery will be a piece of cake

Edited by Westview
  • Like 1

Is this thread sponsored by Uber? 😄

Congrats! You've chosen an elite doctor, this time next year I'm sure you're going to look great. There won't be any pain involved so just relax and let Konior do this thing.

• Haha 3

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• Administrators

That's awesome man, you've chosen an excellent surgeon, one of the very best. I look forward to seeing your updates, and please let Dr. Konior I said "hi"

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

4 hours ago, notsosure said:

Hey all. Long time lurker/reader. I think I created my account here about 10 years ago. I'm now 42 and it's finally time to take the plunge. After LOTS of research and lots of nerves, I finally scheduled FUE surgery with Dr. Konior. I've just hailed an Uber and it's 9 min away. I've never had an HT before. Never shaved my head before. And never even been to his office before. This is all very new and I'm not sure what exactly I'm getting myself into, but here we go!

I'll post updates throughout the process.

Here's to a very long day! 6:30am to 7:30pm ish...

Let's go!

It's normal to be nervous. Rest assured that you're in good hands. Chicago is a beautiful city. Hopefully you get a chance to explore Chicago as well.

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Thanks guys. Well it’s 8:30pm and I’m back. Dr Konior actually dropped me off at the hotel. Shocking, but very cool! Here’s how things look right now. I think he ended up doing 2100 grafts.

I look depressed because I had 3 Valium and feel like a zombie after laying on that table for 12 hours. 😂 

I have a paper thing taped to the back of my head and so am hoping I can sleep ok. Waiting for my DoorDash Chipotle order and then trying to sleep. Will be heading back at 1:00 tomorrow for cleaning. Fingers crossed I don’t bump me head on anything or sleep weirdly.

66B629BA-382B-44F0-8A75-D07E22E013E1.jpeg

EF59FCBC-FFBB-42C4-AF54-675B51015F63.jpeg

• Like 2

Ok, morning everyone. I was a little nervous about how sleep would go, but I had the most deep sleep (via my Oura Ring that tracks sleep) than I think I ever have. Not sure if it was the Valium during the day or laying for 12 hours during the surgery, but sleep at night went great. I did have a donor area start bleeding (unbeknownst to me) and it dripped over the new area and behind my ear. I called the office in the morning and they didn’t seem concerned. Guess they’ll clean me up today. I also barely rubbed the new area with my arm last night, forgetting I had a transplant. So hopefully that didn’t screw anything up.

675CD22C-01E8-4B1F-9E77-994543B48F6B.png

• Like 1

Ok, just got my first cleanup from the office. Apparently while sleeping last night, I knocked out 1 graft from the back right side of my head. Not really an important area at all, but that's where the blood came from. Doc told me that it was a 3 hair graft. Bummer. He said he could replace it later in the week if I cared, but that it really isn't going to make any difference to my results. I may or may not ask him to. Hoping my sleep tonight doesn't do the same thing, as I thought I slept perfectly on my back with head propped and definitely didn't touch anything, but it is what it is. All cleaned up now at least.

They said I could shower now (not on head) but I'm a little hesitant. Did anyone else here feel nervous about shower #1? 🙂

Edited by notsosure

1 hour ago, notsosure said:

They said I could shower now (not on head) but I'm a little hesitant. Did anyone else here feel nervous about shower #1? 🙂

I had shower apprehension mainly with shampooing.  My fear was disrupting the grafts before they had a chance to set in. 

The methods outlined in the guides weren't effective for me and I really wanted to keep the area clean.  His staff suggested I mix water and shampoo in a spray bottle which worked really great.

2 hours ago, AlBrown said:

I had shower apprehension mainly with shampooing.  My fear was disrupting the grafts before they had a chance to set in. 

The methods outlined in the guides weren't effective for me and I really wanted to keep the area clean.  His staff suggested I mix water and shampoo in a spray bottle which worked really great.

That's very helpful. Thanks. If you mixed water and soap, how did you get the soap out of your hair/head? Did you replace the soap/water mixture with only water and then spray again? And then how did you dry? Blow dryer on cool and low setting?

Edited by notsosure

18 minutes ago, Westview said:

I took  a bath  for the first 10 days.

No way was I gonna let a stream of water near my grafts

That's a great idea. And if I was home, I might do that... but no way am I taking a bath in a Hilton hotel. Hard telling what's going on in there. lol...

Ok, I noticed some swelling in forehead and templates area. Nothing crazy (yet) but is this pretty normal? When I went in today at 1pm for a cleaning (it's 8pm now) they said there was no need to ice it, so I haven't. Being that I'm in a hotel, it's not exactly easy to get an ice pack. Plus I'm thinking I'm better off having some swelling than to accidentally ice too high on the grafts. What do you seasoned peeps think?

2 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Yes be careful ! Swelling is perfectly normal after a ht. it’s possible to end up with black eyes also. 

Ok, so you'd recommend no icing and don't worry about the swelling? Nothing hurts (yet). I'm mainly just bored to death sitting here in the hotel room, afraid to bump my head on something. I haven't showered since prior to the surgery on Tuesday morning and am actually thinking about skipping a shower today as well. Figured I can't smell that bad doing absolutely nothing.