25 with NW5-6 looking for advice

Hi, 

I am 25 years old started loosing hair around 5 years ago, i lost a great amount of hair in a really short time. I started minoxidil around 4 years ago and had good results but after 1 year i started loosing ground again maybe because i wasnt consistent or i that i switched between different brands (btw anyone has an idea how can i get rid of the white residues from minoxidil at the back of my head?).

I added finasteride (0,5mg per day) 1 year ago in hope that it would help. My semen is watery ever since but i can live with that and i read that it is not very serious. However, I cant say that it is working, there was no regrowth and i am still shedding from time to time and still losing ground. Actually i only noticed reduced hair loss for just 1 month. I didnt increase the dose since i read that 0,5mg has almost the same affect of 1mg. I am also dermarolling for 2 months now 1,5mm once a week a using nizoral 3 times a week. I know that i should try to stabilize my hair loss, so i booked an appointment with a dermatologist next month and i will try to get a dutasteride prescription. Do you think it is a good idea or i should stop using fin or duta because of the side effects? 

If i was able to hold my hair loss would i be a could candidate for a hairtransplant? In one of the photos i put my and on the hairs that i think are thinning, so i think the hair beneath it could be used. i did some research and decided for a that decent result i need to go for an FUT for the first session since i am heading for a high norwood level. How many grafts would i need to cover the front? i am planning a budget of 10k for the first session, but i am still a student and i need at least 2 years for that. Who are the top surgeons for my case that i should aim for in europe?

InkedIMG_2289_LI.jpg

InkedIMG_2322_LI.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

21 minutes ago, Westview said:

You look like you have excellent donor hair, but I would wait for a couple of years before getting an HT to see how far your NW progresses

Thanks! how many grafts do you think could be harvested?

22 minutes ago, Kajoo said:

Thanks! how many grafts do you think could be harvested?

Thats hard to say until we can see how far your NW progresses.

But you look to have good sidebanks, and fairly thick hair.  My guess is easily 8,000 grafts or so.

I would start with a 4,000 FUT on top scalp, and see how that looks.

Then if you need an additional 2,000 grafts I would get an FUE.

That then leaves you with 2000 grafts + beard hair to fill up the crown, and you should be set for life

(thats assuming you have good beard hair density of course)

• Like 1

The area in the back of your scalp as shown in the last photo is known as the primary donor zone (occipital), and this where most of the grafts would be harvested, especially in the first procedure.

Regardless, you won't know how many harvestable grafts can be excised until you have a thorough microscopic examination of the donor zone.

It is incredibly important to use any of the hair loss meds consistently in order to achieve maximum efficiency.

• Like 3

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 3/13/2021 at 7:45 PM, JohnAC71 said:

I think your in a good position to consider a hair transplant. You are on a good med regime now, and it’s been over a year. 
What are your plans ? Are you thinking about getting some consultations done ? 

I dont feel like my regime is working, i am still loosing ground. i am considering switching to dutasteride but i already have watery semen from fin, i dont know if that is a good idea. Plus i have to wait at least 2 years for a hairtransplant since i dont have the money at the moment. I am planning a budget of max 10k for the first session do you recommend any in this price range? and could i still go for fue before the fut or the fut must be the first for more efficiency?

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Kajoo said:

I dont feel like my regime is working, i am still loosing ground. i am considering switching to dutasteride but i already have watery semen from fin, i dont know if that is a good idea. Plus i have to wait at least 2 years for a hairtransplant since i dont have the money at the moment. I am planning a budget of max 10k for the first session do you recommend any in this price range? and could i still go for fue before the fut or the fut must be the first for more efficiency?

Where do you live? For that price and for your hair loss I’d go strip first.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Where do you live? For that price and for your hair loss I’d go strip first.

In germany. Who could you recommend me in this price range? I probably need around 3.5k grafts. 
Also what is your say on switching to duatesteride ?

If it were me, I would consider traveling outside of your country...and I highly recommend that you talk with your doctor about the notion of switching to DUT.

• Like 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

On 3/15/2021 at 10:10 PM, Kajoo said:

Sorry to hear the current regime isn’t holding up and your still losing ground. For such aggressive only 25 I would definitely say that you should consider starting out with FUT and maximising your donor area. Your going to need as many grafts as possible. It’s good that you have time to research 🧐 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

my hairloss has progressed a lot since last year and i am thinning all over. i stopped minoxidil and fin in december which accelerated my hairloss i guess. i am now planning to get on them again to see how much i can preserve. although they didnt stop hairloss but is guess they was slowing it down. last week i decided to buzz cut to see how i look. and to be honest i dont like it. i posted photos just before and after the cut. now its clear that i am heading towards NW7 and my donor is not as good as i expected. 

However I talked to eugenix and they rated my hairloss at NW5a and said that i need 4700 grafts for total coverage. this could be great for the short time. but after some years i would definitely loose more and would need a lot more grafts to cover the rest. Do you think its worth it to go for a hair transplant, or i should just shave it. 

For info even with this little hair i was still able to cover everything with the help of concealers. 

dag.jpg

dasfs_LI.jpg

dgsfs.jpg

dsa.jpg

ff_LI.jpg

fsdfsada.jpg

saaf_LI.jpg

sdfsa.jpg

sdfsdga.jpg

SDGA.jpg

sdgsdg.jpg

sfsdga_LI.jpg

sgda_LI.jpg

• Like 2

Kajoo, thank you for sharing your situation and lots of pics…this is very helpful in assessing your case…now, you have done an awesome job with styling your hair covering as much scalp as possible…however as you progress to a full NW7, this will eventually become impossible.

Yet IMHO, you look good with a buzzed style as your pics show…you have a perfect shaped head and scalp to wear a buzzed cut and I think you look best with this option…your donor shows some thinning and so why spend your hard earned money on so much surgery when it probably won’t last?…you have done an excellent job educating yourself and undoubtedly have heard some of us state that surgery should be a last resort…and when an individual like yourself looks so good with a short hair style, save your money and try and forget about surgery…keep buzz cutting and eventually you will get used to short hair and you may very well end up liking it or preferring it.👌

• Like 2

Gillenator

• Valued Contributor
20 minutes ago, gillenator said:

Kajoo, thank you for sharing your situation and lots of pics…this is very helpful in assessing your case…now, you have done an awesome job with styling your hair covering as much scalp as possible…however as you progress to a full NW7, this will eventually become impossible.

Yet IMHO, you look good with a buzzed style as your pics show…you have a perfect shaped head and scalp to wear a buzzed cut and I think you look best with this option…your donor shows some thinning and so why spend your hard earned money on so much surgery when it probably won’t last?…you have done an excellent job educating yourself and undoubtedly have heard some of us state that surgery should be a last resort…and when an individual like yourself looks so good with a short hair style, save your money and try and forget about surgery…keep buzz cutting and eventually you will get used to short hair and you may very well end up liking it or preferring it.👌

This ^ Looking at how low your hair loss dips at the bottom of your crown I would definitely shave. Firstly because it suits you (you could add SMP as an option also). Secondly because you will be chasing MPB for the rest of your life with multiple surgeries and money. Have a look at Bald Cafe with Harry James on YouTube. All the best! 

• Like 1

Yes, that would be the “coronet” area of the crown that distinguishes class 7…and quality SMP can potentially help especially when an individual intends to continue with a short hair style.

• Like 1

Gillenator

35 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

Damn after seeing that I may take an extra fin pill today just to be safe...

This. Hell I might even add DUT once a week and oral minox in a daily smoothie for good measure.

To OP, I believe Eugenix recently had a patient similar to your situation, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkfa0V0n-nM

Edit - His name is John Cross, crusader against the unholy norwood.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Edited by MAIZE1694

Sorry about your situation. As others have suggested, shaving is the best way. Looks solid NW7 with thinning even in the safest of donor area. Its a wrap, no question. Any doc who promises you they can do surgery should be stripped of their license immediatly.

• Like 1

at the end of the day its your decision, if you want to get a hair transplant that is on you and nobody can stop you , a dr might refuse you for reasons they feel are legit like your advanced case and viability but its your choice, some drs will do it, Melvin says it best, what are you expectations , if they are reasonable and realize you will have a so so end result then go for it....as far as the white , try nizoral , probably dandruff. 

1 hour ago, Gokuhairline said:

thats something the op would have to ask himself....I personally feel they are a big hassle , hard to say but probably easier to shave it off ...

Had one myself for a year, I didn't enjoy using the glue/tape and the whole cleaning process.
It is a lot of maintenance for sure. 

• Like 1

You look good with a buzzed/shaved head like this. I would say keep it like this. You won't need to worry about doing all the dermarolling, min, fin, and ketocanzole shampoo anymore. Bald can indeed be beautiful.