How Long Does It Take For FUT Scars to Feel Completely Normal Again?

I'm 4 weeks out from my strip surgery. The one thing about my transplant which has annoyed me the most is the general discomfort of my scar. I'm not just talking the numbness above the scar, which is definitely the most aggravating. I'm also referring to the tenderness of the scar itself, the weird tight feeling, etc. I know that the numbness generally lasts for a few months. I'd like to know, however, how long it takes for the scar area itself to feel back to normal. That is, how long does it usually take to stop feeling vaguely sore and tender? When does the tightness usually go away?

It doesn't feel noticeably tight when I'm resting, but it does feel freakin' weird and tight when I bend my neck just right. The slight soreness isn't bad, but it's ever-present, and it is annoying.

Edited by FUEgetaboutit

• FUEgetaboutit changed the title to How Long Does It Take For FUT Scars to Feel Completely Normal Again?
3 minutes ago, Westview said:

You're looking at minimum 3 to 4 months.  Its annoying I know, but you gotta suck it up

Agreed usually at least a few months. Pain subsides within a few weeks but it won’t really settle down and “flatten” until around 6 months. 

• Like 2

The general tightness feeling will last for about 4-6 months. It all depends on your scalp laxity and the the skills of the surgeon and your healing properties.

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

I don’t recall feeling any tightness beyond a few weeks or a month, but everyone is different. But, I’m at 7 months post op and am just now getting full feeling back in my head above the FUT scar. Everyone heals different. 

Hey sorry to hear this is happening to you. Did your surgeon mention this as a possibility?

In research papers about hair transplants, this topic comes up, albeit rarely, but it does happen. Out of curiousity, why did you select FUT over FUE?

5 hours ago, asterix0 said:

Hey sorry to hear this is happening to you. Did your surgeon mention this as a possibility?

In research papers about hair transplants, this topic comes up, albeit rarely, but it does happen. Out of curiousity, why did you select FUT over FUE?

Eh, it comes with the territory. I can tolerate it, for sure. It's not the worst thing in the world to deal with. Just a mild annoyance. Thanks for the support, in any case.

My surgeon only seemed to mention the donor area in terms of how I should care for it and what to expect for shock loss, at least from what I can recall. His office has been good about responding to my various questions when I have them, though.

I chose FUT because it should, at least according to prevailing medical opinion, yield 500 - 1,000 more grafts over my lifetime. I know that there is debate about this, but if there is a possibility that I'll get more out of FUT, I decided I would take the chance. The idea of a scar doesn't bother me much, as I don't like wearing my hair very short in the back anyway. I figure that if I'm going to go in with transplants, I should get as much out of them as I can. I want to have as natural-looking, dense and well-covered a head of hair as possible in the long term. (I did regret doing FUT during the week after the surgery, though. The tightness and overall weird feeling drove me freakin' crazy. lol)

• Valued Contributor

As has been said above the numbness can last up to 6 months. As the scar is healing, all of the network of nerve endings, etc are reconnecting so it can also feel itchy for some time. The positive thing is that scars can go on improving in color and texture for years. All the best and I admire your decision on which method of harvesting you chose based on your research.

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 hours ago, FUEgetaboutit said:

I did regret doing FUT during the week after the surgery, though. The tightness and overall weird feeling drove me freakin' crazy. lol

Don't feel bad. If you did FUE the entire donor area could be itchy for months.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
14 hours ago, RandoBrando517 said:

When can you return to the gym after FUT?

Heavy lifting should be avoided for a few months, as any strain on the neck or head could cause the scar to stretch.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.