Slow grower, how long to wait before undergoing third procedure

I had my second procedure, a little over fourteen months ago, for 4400 grafts. I was disappointed with the results, up until 11 months post op and felt as if the second transplant also failed. However I have since had significant growth and fall into the slow growing category. I am looking into a third procedure for my crown, since the doctor only placed 1500 grafts in an area of 75 cm². Since I am growing slower than average are the full results unlikely to be apparent until 18 months post op? Also should I wait until I have gotten past the 18 month mark, before consulting with doctors for a third procedure, since they might overestimate the grafts required, in case there is additional maturation or growth, or will their estimate take into account that there may be further growth

i would wait till 20-24 months before rework on the crown.   I had crown work and i observed improvements right up to 24 months in terms of thickening which made a perceived thinner area become 'Full' with no scalp visible as the hairs thickened.

I have read the below statement from several hair transplant Dr's and i would agree with this particular for midscalp and crown areas.  You don't want to use grafts where it may not be required

It is not until 'normal' asynchronous hair follicle cycling begins at 18-24 months does hair become noticably thicker. 

I had big improvement on my hairline between month 12 and month 18. It's also well known that the crown takes 18 months... so if you're a slow grower, you probably won't know your final result until around 2 years post op.

Be patient and don't rush into anything yet...I would wait until month 26 to be sure in your case

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

If right now you schedule the next surgery for several months from now then by that time you will have waited the extra months. At that time you can adjust how many grafts you need and where you need them on the morning of surgery. If you are going back to the same Dr then he will know what was done on the previous surgery. If you are going with a different one just be sure to tell them in the consultation that you feel like you are still getting some growth from the last one, so you may need less grafts than it looks like now.... or you could get the original number they estimate and end up with an even better result that you think you will. Nothing wrong with that!

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

8 hours ago, BaldingBogger said:

i would wait till 20-24 months before rework on the crown.   I had crown work and i observed improvements right up to 24 months in terms of thickening which made a perceived thinner area become 'Full' with no scalp visible as the hairs thickened.

I have read the below statement from several hair transplant Dr's and i would agree with this particular for midscalp and crown areas.  You don't want to use grafts where it may not be required

It is not until 'normal' asynchronous hair follicle cycling begins at 18-24 months does hair become noticably thicker. 

Why wait that long?  Do you suggest that returning 12 months out would negate the work from the first transplant?  I'm not sure what you mean.

If I had to guess, if there is growth to still occur past 12 months then having a second HT now wouldn't interrupt the schedule of the grafts from the first one starting to grow on the crown.

11 hours ago, AB2000 said:

Why wait that long?  Do you suggest that returning 12 months out would negate the work from the first transplant?  I'm not sure what you mean.

If I had to guess, if there is growth to still occur past 12 months then having a second HT now wouldn't interrupt the schedule of the grafts from the first one starting to grow on the crown.

If you are transplanting in a different area of scalp i would think there is less need to wait.  However if you are evaluating the same area in Crown and midscalp to gauge whether or not you need more grafts in this area like the OP is, then i think it is prudent to wait up to 24 months for the full result to mature and grow in.  Hair calibre maturation is a major factor when it comes to transplantation and the hair will become noticeably thicker over time as it cycles after it has broke through.

Therefore you want to ensure you give yourself the full maturation period particularly as crown and midscalp areas take longer to mature. You don't want to implant in the same area that is still maturing (most Dr's won't anyway) so you don't waste grafts or adversely impact the original transplant.

43 minutes ago, BaldingBogger said:

If you are transplanting in a different area of scalp i would think there is less need to wait.  However if you are evaluating the same area in Crown and midscalp to gauge whether or not you need more grafts in this area like the OP is, then i think it is prudent to wait up to 24 months for the full result to mature and grow in.  Hair calibre maturation is a major factor when it comes to transplantation and the hair will become noticeably thicker over time as it cycles after it has broke through.

Therefore you want to ensure you give yourself the full maturation period particularly as crown and midscalp areas take longer to mature. You don't want to implant in the same area that is still maturing (most Dr's won't anyway) so you don't waste grafts or adversely impact the original transplant.

I was thinking along the same lines. I have consulted with three doctors, thus far, and was told 1000-1500 grafts were required for the midscalp, since the area still appears quite thin. If the area continues maturing, which it likely will, seeing as how I am going slower than average. Then I would like to use the additional 1500 grafts to lower my hairline, instead, of wasting grafts on the midscalp. I have about 3000 grafts left, and thus far the doctors and myself have not agreed on what the best use of grafts will be, which is why I was wondering if I should wait a few more months, reevaluate where I am, and then proceed with the procedure.