Anyone here with Lichen Planopilaris - Did you get an HT?

I have itchy scalp for many years and lost lot of hair; turns out I have LPP i.e. Lichen Plano-Pilaris and I'm NW6-7. I was wondering:

1.) Is anyone here with the same scalp condition?

2.) If I get HT, will the transplanted hair stay?

Thx.

So basically I feel a bump at the hair follicle and the hair falls out with the root. Also the scalp is itchy and red bumps appear every now and then. I did go to dermatologist and they have clobex steroid spray to help with inflammation but I was wondering what will happen if I do an HT - will the transplanted hair stay or eventually fall out.

15 minutes ago, Panamera13 said:

So basically I feel a bump at the hair follicle and the hair falls out with the root. Also the scalp is itchy and red bumps appear every now and then. I did go to dermatologist and they have clobex steroid spray to help with inflammation but I was wondering what will happen if I do an HT - will the transplanted hair stay or eventually fall out.

Do you have a lower WBC count ? 

I do and not sure when it started, I was using rogaine in the same area and I figured that was causing the irritation, and wasn't diagnosed until after the HTs. Thankfully it's never spread to my donor or front where all the work has been done so I've held on to everything.

Nobody knows what causes LPP, basically the immune system attacking your hair follicles for god knows why. You definitely don't want to transplant hair into any area with active LPP, it will attack those transplanted hair follicles just like it did the original ones. 

The consensus I've read online and from my doc is to not consider transplanting until the area has been inactive for a few years -which is not so easy to determine because it can still be attacking your hair follicles under the skin even when there are no symptoms of redness, irritation etc on the skin surface. I'd get at least one biopsy to confirm if your LPP does seem to go dormant for a few years, and fingers crossed it will sleep forever! Best of luck and if you do get that HT be sure to have your meds ready to help protect those hairs as much as possible if it flares back up.

Edited by ciaus
  • Thanks 1

You might want to see my recent post - I was diagnosed with LPP a year after having a HT - I basically didin't know it was LPP causing hair loss until a year after i did the HT.  The HT didn't grow great as they implanted into an area of active LPP (maybe frontal fibrosing).  I do have more hair there now but not expecting to keep them more than a year or so longer as the LPP will probably kill them.  If I want more hair I think I'll have to go down the hair system route.

Was your biopsy showing LPP in the front (frontal fibrosing) and/or somewhere else on the scalp?

On 2/6/2021 at 2:24 AM, Panamera13 said:

I have itchy scalp for many years and lost lot of hair; turns out I have LPP i.e. Lichen Plano-Pilaris and I'm NW6-7. I was wondering:

1.) Is anyone here with the same scalp condition?

2.) If I get HT, will the transplanted hair stay?

Thx.

You might want to see my recent post - I was diagnosed with LPP a year after having a HT - I basically didin't know it was LPP causing hair loss until a year after i did the HT.  The HT didn't grow great as they implanted into an area of active LPP (maybe frontal fibrosing).  I do have more hair there now but not expecting to keep them more than a year or so longer as the LPP will probably kill them.  If I want more hair I think I'll have to go down the hair system route.

Was your biopsy showing LPP in the front, (frontal fibrosing) and/or middle or crown?

• 1 year later...
On 2/6/2021 at 9:48 AM, Panamera13 said:

Any update on getting the LPP under control?

On 11/6/2022 at 2:46 PM, AB2000 said:

Any update on getting the LPP under control?

On 2/12/2021 at 7:04 PM, mcr7777 said:

You might want to see my recent post - I was diagnosed with LPP a year after having a HT - I basically didin't know it was LPP causing hair loss until a year after i did the HT.  The HT didn't grow great as they implanted into an area of active LPP (maybe frontal fibrosing).  I do have more hair there now but not expecting to keep them more than a year or so longer as the LPP will probably kill them.  If I want more hair I think I'll have to go down the hair system route.

Was your biopsy showing LPP in the front, (frontal fibrosing) and/or middle or crown?

So pretty much I'm a NW 7 now. LPP killed pretty much every hair is less than 2 years. I was balding but it's really accelerated during Covid. I can't take Fin as it killed my libido.

One doc (Dermapath) gave me Doxy Anti-Biotic and pioglitazone (diabetes pill) - There are some documented cases of pioglitazone solving LPP. I took it for 3 months and gave up since there wasn't any change and I'm worried about taking experimental pills causing some other issues. I'm pretty healty other than hair loss so why shove body with meds.

Now, couple of weeks ago I had the urge again to fix my LPP - mainly the scalp itch to be honest - and I was prescribed hydroxychloroquine and Oral Minox so taking that. When I told my parents about this casually they were like - why the heck would you take all these experimental meds :). Again there are some documented cased where hydroxychloroquine helped with LPP.

More than LPP - I hate the scalp itch/redness on top. Used Clobex spray for years but it's not good for long term use. I don't know if I can even use a hair system with all the itch.