can transplanted hair be used as donor again?

imagine you're young and foolish and upon noticing some receding hairline you swiftly got that filled with a transplant. now fast forward 15 years you've lost far too much hair and you kinda regret that great hairline because  that hair could have been used somewhere else. 

can you take that transplanted hair as donor again and move it somewhere else? what is the success rate like with good surgeons?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, plus said:

imagine you're young and foolish and upon noticing some receding hairline you swiftly got that filled with a transplant. now fast forward 15 years you've lost far too much hair and you kinda regret that great hairline because  that hair could have been used somewhere else. 

can you take that transplanted hair as donor again and move it somewhere else? what is the success rate like with good surgeons?

Very good question, you should ask this to Dr. Shapiro this Saturday. Can it be done? Absolutely, the success rate I’d imagine is the same as any hair , except now you’d have a scar in the recipient. Even a small punch would show scars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yes it can.  Its called a repair job.

Sometimes clinics will take on a patient who has been butchered by another clinic, and they need to re-transplant all the hairs that were wrongly placed in the recipient area.  The  success rate should be the same as any other hair transplant so long as you have a skilled surgeon

• Moderators

Been there, done that. Years ago I had some large plug grafts removed and cut into smaller grafts and reinserted to other areas.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, BeHappy said:

Been there, done that. Years ago I had some large plug grafts removed and cut into smaller grafts and reinserted to other areas.

How did they grow?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators
On 2/4/2021 at 12:10 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

How did they grow?

It's hard for me to say how well mine grew because it was over 25 years ago, so I really don't remember and they were placed in between already transplanted hair to thicken the area up. However over the years FUEing out old pluggy grafts and retransplanting them to make the hairline and behind it look more natural was done to many guys with those old doll head transplants. It's not done so much anymore because there aren't many pluggy transplants around anymore. There have been a couple of cases posted here recently of hairlines from Turkey that were not done right or too low and the hairline was FUEd out and replanted. I tried to do a search to find them, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I know they are here though.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I hope it can as I may need a resection to repair the bs hairline work and cobblestoning, ridging, and various scar tissue from that bogus dense packing and other issues.  

I am counting on a successful repair by the right doctor.