If Donor is weak, have you considered using it on the front/mid scalp and use a synthetic system on crown?

Hey guys,

This topic is a wonderment whether anyone has considered using their donor storage to fill the front and mid areas of the scalp to a medium/dense level then wear a synthetic system on the crown if it thins or goes bald down the track?

This idea might be attractive for those who have less than ideal donor reserve or if they have advanced norwood levels of hair-loss where the remaining donor is not dense enough to refill the front/mid and crown to a satisfactory density (that is with taking transaction levels and future thinning into account as well).

The idea is to have a natural hairline and mid scalp hair that doesn't look "fake" or "unnatural" as this is the main problem with hair systems where they can easily be detectable from the hairline, and only use a synthetic system on the crown as it's a huge surface area to cover. This way, the precious donor can be utilized to fill the hairline, temples and mid-scalp with good density.

Has this been done before? and if it has, what are the complexities/complications that might come with it? 
I understand that finding a system that matches and blends with the surrounding native hairs can be problematic; also; having to wear it and replace it for life can be a daunting task for some.. With that being said, can anyone think of other complexities to this idea that may deem it unfeasible?

• Administrators

I have seen a recent example by @DrTBarghouthi where one of his patients had the hairline done via FUE and the rest was a hair system. Looked really good.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi @fito88

Yes we have ben following this method for many patients and for different reasons. Some have limited donors, some dont want to waste any crown grafts, some with depleted donors and some simply want extreme densities in a faster time period. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

I know several guys who have done this approach and they look awesome!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 2/2/2021 at 7:47 PM, DrTBarghouthi said:

Hi @fito88

Yes we have ben following this method for many patients and for different reasons. Some have limited donors, some dont want to waste any crown grafts, some with depleted donors and some simply want extreme densities in a faster time period. 

15 hours ago, gillenator said:

I know several guys who have done this approach and they look awesome!

Sounds promising. Would you be able to link me to any cases that undergone the similar path to showcase the results?

Also, was it relatively easy for the patient to find a system that blended well with the native hairs?

1 hour ago, fito88 said:

Sounds promising. Would you be able to link me to any cases that undergone the similar path to showcase the results?

Also, was it relatively easy for the patient to find a system that blended well with the native hairs?

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

On 2/3/2021 at 6:50 AM, fito88 said:

I wear a hair system. It's fairly simple to find a system that matches your native hair. You can cut a little of your native hair and mail it to them then they'll pick a color that matches. Or if you go to a professional they'll hold up hair samples to pick one that matches your hair (kinda like matching paint with a roll of samples if you know what i mean)

I'm a NW7 and have a weak donor area so I'm considering doing what your suggesting of only transplanting the front.

Edited by BeadHead

I agree... not long ago, a young man in his mid-twenties met with me to discuss what I thought of his donor for a potential HT.

When I greeted him, my first thought was, why would he want a HT when his hair loss was so minimal...I mean he only displayed very minor recession in the temporal areas but had a full hairline.

Then he blew my mind...after he sat down in my office, he began to peel off his hair system front to back!

The system commenced with a very natural looking hairline with the appropriate level of density and it ascended and completely covered his crown....he was a true NW 6, slick bald...his system had very minor temporal recession built into the design which IMHO added to a natural appearance.

His donor looked okay but not as dense as it would take to accomplish his goals of complete coverage on top.

My personal recommendation?...stick with the system!

He told me it took awhile to get the skill level up to par in applying the system but once it is in place, he said he is good to go...they are expensive and he applies a new one weekly...he said he shampoos normally and blows dry it to style...adds a little hair spray to finish his look...he said these were top notch quality systems and very expensive.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I came up with a really cool business idea.  A dating service exclusively for men with wigs and hair systems.

That way the women will know beforehand what they're getting into.

What do you guys think??  Would it work??

13 hours ago, Westview said:

I came up with a really cool business idea.  A dating service exclusively for men with wigs and hair systems.

That way the women will know beforehand what they're getting into.

What do you guys think??  Would it work??

You're probably better off doing your market research with women😃

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

On 2/7/2021 at 8:38 AM, TommyLucchese said:

You're probably better off doing your market research with women😃

I would have to agree...the thing that I discovered is that most women initially shy away from guys who wear hair systems whether they know it up front or discover it by surprise.

But I also feel that most women are more interested in a man's character and a level of assurance and security in the relationship.

Gillenator