What Shampoo is The Best/Safest

I'm 3 weeks and 6 days out of surgery. I get a bit of sebhorric dermatitis/flakey skin. Its not in the recipient areas but I seem to have it in the native hair, although usually you have to look underneath the hair with a good light to notice it.

I was given some CR Labs mild shampoo after surgery and that will last another couple of weeks. I tend to shower/shampoo every 2 days.

Anyway, the sebhorric dermatitis is just a bit annoying when I see it in the bathroom and I'd love to flush it out and see a super shiny healthy scalp staring back at me.

What shampoo(s) should I use?

Prior to surgery I used to use Nizoral about once a week although I'm not sure how good or bad that is. I've got coal tar shampoo, and Head and Shoulders, I also have tea tree shampoo handy; I think tea tree shampers is mild.

I've often see people say baby shampoo is your only man for a few months post-op.

The truth is there are so many different shampoos out there of different strength and ingredients and for different hair/scalp qualities.

So, what should I use given I am 3 weeks and 6 days out of FUE surgery? I seem to get white flakey dandruffy stuff on the scalp, once in a blue moon I might get a mild touch of psoriasis up there.

Thanks and best regards - Ross.

• Administrators

Baby shampoo 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I've used the mild shampoos HDC provided so far, just moved on to an SLS-free Biotin shampoo. Can't go wrong with sodium laurate free shampoos. 

So yeah, just keep using what you've been given Ross, but DON'T use Nizoral for at least 3 months. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

@Melvin-Moderator and @JohnAC71 did you use baby shampoo past the 1 month mark or just the first couple of weeks?

For a month after that I resumed to Regenepure shampoo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I switched back to normal shampooing as well around the one month mark. Aveeno has some shampoos which are mild without any parabens and sulphates. I've switched to the Aveeno shampoos now. I used to shampoo daily cause my scalp would get really oily but recently switched to every other day. Anyone else have that issue?

Edited by deitel130

Baby shampoo seems to be getting good votes but I am approaching the 1 month mark so perhaps I don't need to stress too much about using baby shampoo as time wears on?

I will avoid Nizoral as has been reccomended by you guys just now. I'll also refrain from tea tree shampoo.

I'm not well versed in scientific shampoo dynamics such as SLS ingredients and sodium laurate so I'll have to ignore those terms.

It looks as if perhaps I should continue using the CR Labs that was given to me (even though it doesn't seem to be obliterating the sebhorric dermatitis) and maybe I shouldn't worry too much about using regular shampoo such as Head & Shoulders (for dry skin).

Seen as Nizoral has been discredited for a few months I assume maybe I should avoid Neutrogena coal tar shampoo too for a few months because I think that stuff is pretty strong?

Thanks very much guys for all your assistance. Its greatly apprecieated.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

Oh, also, would anyone reccomend ever using any conditioner?

I wonder is there any conditioner out there that might be comforting or beneficial for my circumstances.

That's actually great to loosen the scabs a bit before washing your hair. 

Just be mindful of the ingredients, try to use less chemicals. 

• Like 2