Shifting Medicine to Dutasteride from Finasteride.

augustya

Hey Guys,

I wanted to know what do you guys think about this ? I have been taking Finasteride since last 3 Years every alternate days. Despite that my progression of Losing Hair in the Mid-Scalp region has not stopped. 

On my recent visit to a Dermatologist I have been told to stop Finasteride as the body would have reached to a plateau and taking anymore Finasteride would not help. And a evidence to that is despite me taking Finasteride my Mid-Scalp region still lost Hair and it has now started showing Scalp.

So I have been told to stop Finasteride completely and have been advised to shift to Dutasteride starting with taking it consecutively for 12 days and then reducing it and maintaining it to 2 times in a week. 

What do you think about this new regime that that I have been advised ?

43 minutes ago, DenverBuff1989 said:

I took fin daily for 2 years, and replaced that with daily Dut 1.5 yrs ago. If you have no sides from Fin you shouldn't have sides from Dut

I wasn't asking necessarily from a Side Effect Stand Point. I was asking more from efficacy point of view. Like is this dosage good enough to stop progression of my receding hair ?

And by the way Finasteride has given me horrible trouble. It has given me Acidity which is not going with even the best Medicines. I hate Finasteride for what it has done to me !! 

I have seen now a Couple of Dr's prescribing Dutasteride in this dosage 2 or max 3 times in a week. Not more than that.

Edited by augustya

• Administrators

Dutasteride is way more powerful, in theory, it should be more effective. It has shown to stop 90% of DHT, as opposed to 70% from finasteride. That’s pretty significant, of course, no one knows what the long term effects will be from inhibiting a hormone completely. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Dutasteride is way more powerful, in theory, it should be more effective. It has shown to stop 90% of DHT, as opposed to 70% from finasteride. That’s pretty significant, of course, no one knows what the long term effects will be from inhibiting a hormone completely. 

I wanted some feedback on the dosage of Dutasteride I have been advised which is twice a week. Does that sound too less or perhaps OK ?

Edited by augustya

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, augustya said:

I wanted some feedback on the dosage of Dutasteride I have been advised which is twice a week. Does that sound too less or perhaps OK ?

It has a long half life, once a week is enough IMO. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

58 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

It has a long half life, once a week is enough IMO. 

Yes even that is what even I have been told twice a week is enough. But I have stopped Finasteride completely now. Don't know how wise is that decision ? Not to mention it wasn't really helping me ! Nothing Visible that I can make out.

A lot of Dr's also advise to take Finasteride on days when someone is not taking Dutasteride. So they advise a combination of Dutasteride and Finasteride.

Edited by augustya

• Administrators

I think fin 6x a week and dut once per week is good enough.

View my thread

12 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I think fin 6x a week and dut once per week is good enough.

Who can tell me if taking only Dutasteride only 2 times in a week will be good enough to stop any future further progression of my receding hair and balding ?

My Dermat did advise me that, but I wanted a Confirmation like a second opinion on this.

Edited by augustya

1 hour ago, JohnAC71 said:

@DrTBarghouthi might be kind enough to add his opinion too. 

You said what I really wanted to say here indeed @DrTBarghouthi has been very instrumental and helpful in pitching his opinion in matters like these 😄. Yes Calling @DrTBarghouthi please  😃 

Edited by augustya
  • Like 1

Thanks for the mention guys. 

Yes you can switch to dutasteride considering you had no sides from finasteride. Be aware that the chance of sides can be higher. I think twice a week is reasonable although I think considering the way longer half life, that one weekly is also effective. It has a half life of weeks compared to hours for finasteride. Consider twice weekly but if you develop sides, then you can taper down to less than that and still get benefits imo. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

1 hour ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Thanks for the mention guys. 

Yes you can switch to dutasteride considering you had no sides from finasteride. Be aware that the chance of sides can be higher. I think twice a week is reasonable although I think considering the way longer half life, that one weekly is also effective. It has a half life of weeks compared to hours for finasteride. Consider twice weekly but if you develop sides, then you can taper down to less than that and still get benefits imo. 

But Dr. Is It ok ? And will it be sufficient if I keep myself to taking only Dutasteride 2 times a week. My dermatologist told me in your case now Finasteride would have already reached a plateau if you have been taking it for 3 years and yet you are saying your Mid-Scalp region is progressing with balding.

So would keeping myself only to Dutasteride twice a week be enough in restricting my further balding progression ?

Yes. I do think it is reasonable to trying it twice a week because it has a stronger action. If you feel things are controlled regarding side effects and the progress is still slow, there can be room for increasing it slightly. I would agree with current plan though. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

I have been taking finasteride 2.5mg 7x a week AND dutasteride 0.5mg cap 3x a week, both drugs concurrently for the past 2.5 years with no sides at all! My hairloss was extreme starting at 15 years old. I also eat very healthy and workout at least 4x a week. Praying you have no sides brother. Good luck!

On 1/13/2021 at 12:46 AM, MichaelD said:

I have been taking finasteride 2.5mg 7x a week AND dutasteride 0.5mg cap 3x a week, both drugs concurrently for the past 2.5 years with no sides at all! My hairloss was extreme starting at 15 years old. I also eat very healthy and workout at least 4x a week. Praying you have no sides brother. Good luck!

What are your results with this? I'm currently fin 1mg 7days a week and one 0.5mg duatasteride once a week

2 hours ago, Whufcdanny95 said:

What are your results with this? I'm currently fin 1mg 7days a week and one 0.5mg duatasteride once a week

Check out my post brother. You will see my results. I am 26 years old and i have better hair than i did at 15 years old. No lie

• 4 weeks later...

I refuse to take finasteride (and unfortunately Dr de Freitas wouldn't operate on me in spite of relatively minimal and stable hair loss, but that's his prerogative), but would consider topical dut. Any further info would be great.