Eugenix- Conversation with Dr. Arika Bansal

SLA

I know there are quite a few forum members who are awaiting to visit Eugenix in the coming year! I too may pay them a visit.

Quickly about me…I am 47, a NW5/6 with fine (yet curly), mostly salt and pepper hair.

Last week, I had a virtual Zoom video consultation with Dr. Bansal (and Abhinay) to address my questions and concerns. Dr. Bansal was warm, professional and came across and very knowledgeable and caring. She viewed the photos and video I sent of my scalp ahead of time and when I asked she estimated 4k-4.5k grafts (~1,200 or so from beard) needed for full head coverage. She said it is achievable with a slightly more conservative hairline and due to the shape of my skull.

I think she mentioned something about Dr. Pradeep Sethi going slightly more dense when he does transplants- I am not sure why she doesn’t go as dense- it may have been something about not wanting to risk problems that could arise.

I thought many of you would be interested in some of the info I obtained from the conversation.

FUE VS. FUT LIFETIME GRAFTS

In wanting to maximize donor supply, I asked Dr. Bansal her opinion on FUE vs. FUT. In her opinion, she feels that you have around the same lifetime graft supply by going exclusively with FUE. She gave reasoning that you don’t need to save hair to hide a strip scar and also said that there can be less blood supply below the strip scar making grafts harder to remove…I recall her possibly saying something about miniaturization below the strip scar, but I may be wrong.

TRANSECTION RATES

They work keenly on keeping rates to ~2-3%. She personally 1st tests various instruments on a patient with the 1st few hundred grafts before arriving at the perfect ones to use. After that, the staff (I think other doctors and techs) take over. She mentioned that they are equally as competent with extractions as her…if not better.

FAILURES/LOW GROWTH

She said when these happen in general at other clinics, they are almost always a result of surgical error. Sometimes it can be as a result of scarring. She didn’t speak of any failures at Eugenix. She did mention that she is keeping an eye on a couple of patients now, monitoring their growth.

I mentioned a forum user by the name of Budhair who had 2 transplants and after 20 months of the 2nd reported that 80% of the hair from the 2nd hair transplant fell out. She knew exactly who that was and Abhinay mentioned that he came back to the clinic in the fall and his hair had grown back as was originally was told would happen. She asked Abhinay to ask Budhair to post in the forum.

BEARD HAIR USE

I told Dr. Bansal that I was very attracted to Eugenix in how they infuse beard hairs with scalp hair to maximize coverage and donor supply.

She said they primarily use beard hair in the mid-scalp (told me to check out @Zoomster) and that it doesn’t look particularly good in front or in crown….although, she may have been referring specifically to whorl of crown.

**Here is where things got interesting. She said that when Eugenix 1st started they went even heavier on the beard hair, but they have scaled back a bit. She said 60% of people get great results with beard hair addition, 20% moderate and 20% disaster- slow growth. I would have been wise to ask more clarifying questions around this, and I have since emailed Abhinay to see if the doctor could comment more on this.

I think some of the 20% disaster may be people with slow growing beards. I have my beard grown out and asked if she could comment on it, but she said she can’t tell with it long. She asked when I shave, how my beard looks the next day, and I said you can see light stubble. She said that based on this, I probably have 3-4k lifetime beard grafts available.

***I will share more info on the success of using beard hair as I obtain it from the doctor. I am also curious to hear if any other forum members have insight on this topic.***

WHAT TO DO TO PREPARE

I asked if there is anything I should do prior to the transplant to maximize success such as visiting a dermatologist, etc. She said that I can send her more pictures of my scalp closer to surgery and she would have a close look to make sure all looks good.

She said to stop minoxidil 15 days prior. I asked if one needed to stop finasteride and she said, ‘no’.

I hope this helps- looking forward to hearing the opinion and knowledge of others.

• Like 3

Thanks for posting this very informative post. I am very interested in the use of Beard grafts. And yes I’m someone who is waiting for Eugenix. 
My beard is very fast to grow. Hope this will serve me well when I can finally make the trip.

I am similar age to you, my scalp hair has not yet grayed but my beard hair has. I think I’m ok with salt and pepper look.. 

Brilliant questions to ask! 🙏

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SLA said:

FUE VS. FUT LIFETIME GRAFTS

In wanting to maximize donor supply, I asked Dr. Bansal her opinion on FUE vs. FUT. In her opinion, she feels that you have around the same lifetime graft supply by going exclusively with FUE. She gave reasoning that you don’t need to save hair to hide a strip scar and also said that there can be less blood supply below the strip scar making grafts harder to remove…

This is something that often get overlooks. A lot of the debacle between FUT v FUE relies on the original FUE techniques, and doesn’t consider results in 2020. 

Great questions anyway, seems like you were well researched before going into the consultation, and have been rewarded for your due diligence. 

I have seen some great results from Eugenix over the last 18 months, they have really bought themselves into the limelight. 

For an alternate view on how one can utilise beard grafts, you may find it interesting to read @mustang’s thread. 

All the best 

• Like 1

Good point @Curious25 It is hard to know the absolute truth on the FUE vs. FUT debate and is the one I wrestle with the most in deciding where to give my virgin scalp. 

On the one hand, if I go the FUE route and things don't work out, I have visions of the die hard FUT practitioners haunting me in my dreams by saying 'told you so'. On the other hand, if I go FUT and things don't work out you have the lifetime strip scar to deal with and of course the other camp of die hard FUE surgeons saying 'told you so'. I know I am by far not the only person who has thought about this (lol).

Some would say, go FUT 1st, but I think the advantage of working with a Eugenix from the get go is that they specializes in beard hair and will properly infuse beard hairs from the start rather than running out of grafts from FUT and then coming to Eugenix to do the crown and having only beard grafts left for transplant; at that point, there may be more of a stark contrast between the front and back. I think @Zoomsteris a perfect example of this.

It is challenging to know what is true and what is based on bias, but all I can say is we have seen spectacular results from Eugenix  especially on those with a lot of hair loss and less than ideal donor characteristics such as @Zoomster @budhair @paddyirishmanand the list goes on and some of the results being without using an abundance of scalp grafts.

And yes...I have seen @mustang's thread on fit farming and it is remarkable! Give lots of additional hope to know that this is possible. 

My goal is to try to get more clarity from Dr. Bansal about the 20% disaster- slow growth beard hair use (as mentioned in my original post) and see if it is something you can predict and if I might fall into this category. I will be sure to keep you all updated!

My beard growth is slow and spotty, which would probably put me in the 20% category. BTW, I am scheduled with Dr. Bansal in mid-March and am a NW5A, so beard hair will be necessary to get me to about 5k in grafts, which is all I need or want. It's also re-assuring to hear Dr. Bansal's praise of her techs. Thanks for the info.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2020 at 11:26 AM, SLA said:

BEARD HAIR USE

I told Dr. Bansal that I was very attracted to Eugenix in how they infuse beard hairs with scalp hair to maximize coverage and donor supply.

She said they primarily use beard hair in the mid-scalp (told me to check out @Zoomster) and that it doesn’t look particularly good in front or in crown….although, she may have been referring specifically to whorl of crown.

**Here is where things got interesting. She said that when Eugenix 1st started they went even heavier on the beard hair, but they have scaled back a bit. She said 60% of people get great results with beard hair addition, 20% moderate and 20% disaster- slow growth. I would have been wise to ask more clarifying questions around this, and I have since emailed Abhinay to see if the doctor could comment more on this.

I think some of the 20% disaster may be people with slow growing beards. I have my beard grown out and asked if she could comment on it, but she said she can’t tell with it long. She asked when I shave, how my beard looks the next day, and I said you can see light stubble. She said that based on this, I probably have 3-4k lifetime beard grafts available.

***I will share more info on the success of using beard hair as I obtain it from the doctor. I am also curious to hear if any other forum members have insight on this topic.***

To follow up on the results of beard hair, Abhinay asked further of Dr. Bansal who said that the success figures are just estimates and if beard hairs don't grow properly, they will implant more scalp grafts at a future sitting.