How Many People Color/Dye their Hair Transplants?

Gatsby

• Valued Contributor

I was just wondering how many people here who have had a hair transplant dye their hair? I've noticed that several middle aged Indian patients dye their hair black after a hair transplant and it appears to make them appear even younger? It's been nearly four years since I shaved my hair and had SMP. At the time I remember seeing some grey's coming through the the temporal area. Also if I grew my beard (which I will be using as a donor source) it would be mostly grey now I imagine. I think older men who have grey hair and a successful hair transplant result in a very natural look as the grey hair seems to have less contrast against Caucasian skin. I'd just like to get people's thoughts! Many thanks in advance.

Sometimes I do. Mostly, it's facial hair that needs it. On my head, it's my sideburns that need it. I'm 49 and most of my hair looks fine. That said, coloring DOES make a difference for the better. 

I was thinking about this myself @Gatsby

I have seen a few Eugenix videos post-HT in which the difference in color between scalp and beard hair are different. Many times, the beard hair is white and the scalp hair is not as you can see the contrast on the post-HT scalp. Coloring one color should be a good solution is that was an issue.

There is a Eugenix video with Anup Jalota, an Indian actor/singer who had a HT with them in which you can see how part of his hair is white and the other part black. I think I may have seen in another video (or photo) in which he dyed his hair black so the contrast is no longer.

• Like 1

I don't currently but would definitely do it later if hair loss progression accelerated. I remember seeing pictures of Kevin Costner as he got older and noticed how his hair is looking blonder, trying to take advantage of minimizing the scalp/skin color contrast. Not sure what all he's done, probably at least one hair transplant, hair pieces.

image.thumb.png.f1ad0fff6cfba695e06b2094e5faa6d5.png

Edited by ciaus

The only issue I found with dyeing my hair is the texture and quality of hair (dry, brittle, etc.) that results from it. My transplanted hair was already a bit more wavy than the natives and dyeing it just made it harder to style. I believe this might be an issue with body hair too, surely that's a bit more curly than scalp hair.

It depends on the color of your choice too. I went Stockholm blonde and my hair needed to be bleached first. The darker you go the less chemical damage. But luckily Olaplex works wonders with dyed hair. 

Oh, and it definitely makes you look younger too, that's for sure. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

I dye my hair dark brown about once a month. That was my natural color when I was younger before it started going gray. Now that I've had a lot of beard and chest grafts I can see the color differences between the body grafts and the head grafts if I don't dye it. Dying it all once color makes it less noticeable that I've had body grafts done.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.