Angles Of The Grafts

I believe angling the grafts is important for a HT. As far as I know it dictates which way the hair grows.

For years I have been combing my hair over from right to left because its accomadated my growing bald spots. My natural hair however is very straight, it grows out very straight, or at least it did before I started whipping it over 10 years ago.

So, after 10 years of whipping the hair from left to right it appears as if my hair is sort of set on shooting out to the left unless I train it to do otherwise. I believe this was strongly taken into account during my procedure and the new grafts were angled in such a way that they will follow the pattern that has been forced into my hair through years of styling.

As this pattern of mine is forced and not entitrly natural could it have an impact on my overall graft yield and appearance?

It would be very sad if the graft yield was damaged because of this, or if the hairs come out pointing in very silly directions. If it comes out looking well though I'd be happy.

Screenshot_20201223-230921_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201223-231019_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201223-231127_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201223-231219_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201223-231732_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201223-231825_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201223-231953_Chrome.jpg

Mis-angled placement of grafts usually will not have a bearing on visual yield but will undoubtedly have a bearing on how natural appearing the hair looks once the grafts grow to length.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

14 minutes ago, gillenator said:

Mis-angled placement of grafts usually will not have a bearing on visual yield but will undoubtedly have a bearing on how natural appearing the hair looks once the grafts grow to length.

Very interesting input. In fact yield/density would be a big concern for me so if that is not a problem then I have less to worry about.

Can you see from my pictures how odd looking my pattern of growth was from the years of whipping it over to one side. I believe my doctor purposely angled the grafts so that they will follow that pattern of pointing to the left direction, I am fine with this so long as it blends naturally with the way things are anyway. A little bit of styling gel can always give me extra flexibility if I want it. It would be bad if they came out in a very crazy fashion that doesn't fit with the way it naturally grows.

Edited by Rossybop

You can train your hair between washings and get haircuts so that it will lay certain ways, but the directions your hairs grow out of the scalp are genetically determined and don't change. When the doctors/techs are making the incisions using magnification they are looking closely at how the surrounding hairs are emerging from the skin to determine the angular placements for the grafts.

The way your hair grows looking at this pic I'd say he did a pretty good job, the left and right sides continue in those directions and there's a slight preference to the left in the middle that is curved a little more in the grafted area -but I think that will look good.

image.png.ca051fc038c1b72bf16728fb71cd5314.png

Edited by ciaus
misunderstood incisions creating angle of grafts

9 hours ago, ciaus said:

You can train your hair between washings and get haircuts so that it will lay certain ways, but the directions your hairs grow out of the scalp are genetically determined and don't change. When the doctors/techs are placing the grafts they're using magnification and looking closely at how the surrounding hairs are emerging from the skin to determine the angular placements for the grafts.

The way your hair grows looking at this pic I'd say he did a pretty good job, the left and right sides continue in those directions and there's a slight preference to the left in the middle that is curved a little more in the grafted area -but I think that will look good.

image.png.ca051fc038c1b72bf16728fb71cd5314.png

The thing is I think I've actually mutated the direction of the hairs through years of putting pressure on them. Before I started forcefully wearing combovers it was always straight, I started stylinh it from left to right becuase the left side receded faster than the right. I'm hopeful that it will turn out well but there's the small worry that it will come out looking odd. My hair fallls flat down my head too, not up into the air, I hope this is not an issue, and I hope a bit of styling gel will give me some flexibility.

9 hours ago, hairlossPA said:

angle of grafts is determined by the incision/site creation. not the placement of the grafts. the placing of the grafts simply follow the angle of the recipient site angle poked in your head

The doctor did the incisions himself. Hopefully it comes out looking cool and nice and natural, and not totally bizzare.

9 hours ago, deitel130 said:

I believe angling is important to ensure there is no transection of existing hair follicles. The angling in your pics seem fine.

Do you think it seems fine, nothing too risky or extreme about it? Cheers.

9 hours ago, hairlossPA said:

angle of grafts is determined by the incision/site creation. not the placement of the grafts. the placing of the grafts simply follow the angle of the recipient site angle poked in your head

Thanks I updated my post

2 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

The thing is I think I've actually mutated the direction of the hairs through years of putting pressure on them.

The hairs above the skin that you can see and comb are actually dead so I don't see how your combing habits could mutated anything.

image.png.aeb5d1e337b9c6425c3360a6938aa4c4.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ciaus said:

Thanks I updated my post

The hairs above the skin that you can see and comb are actually dead so I don't see how your combing habits could mutated anything.

image.png.aeb5d1e337b9c6425c3360a6938aa4c4.png

I don't know, but I'm nearly sure I've just maipulated them to curl to the left through years of hard work.

44 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

Looks ok to me. Also most of the grafted areas were quite bare so it would not be a risk to anything as far as I know.

Cool. They were quite bare but what difference would it make if they weren't quite bare?

On 12/23/2020 at 7:23 PM, Rossybop said:

Very interesting input. In fact yield/density would be a big concern for me so if that is not a problem then I have less to worry about.

Can you see from my pictures how odd looking my pattern of growth was from the years of whipping it over to one side. I believe my doctor purposely angled the grafts so that they will follow that pattern of pointing to the left direction, I am fine with this so long as it blends naturally with the way things are anyway. A little bit of styling gel can always give me extra flexibility if I want it. It would be bad if they came out in a very crazy fashion that doesn't fit with the way it naturally grows.

Ideally the grafts will be placed at the same angle as the native hair grows...yes you can style it in a different direction and styling gel will help with this as you stated...the bottom line is whether or not you are happy with the finished result.     

• Like 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

34 minutes ago, gillenator said:

Ideally the grafts will be placed at the same angle as the native hair grows...yes you can style it in a different direction and styling gel will help with this as you stated...the bottom line is whether or not you are happy with the finished result.     

Absolutely! The bottom line is how satisfied I will be with the result. That's my main concern. I hope it all just comes out well, I hope it all falls in a pleasing and natural format and I hope its of good texture and density.

Hang in there my friend!...😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Gillenator

On 12/24/2020 at 2:49 PM, Rossybop said:

The thing is I think I've actually mutated the direction of the hairs through years of putting pressure on them. Before I started forcefully wearing combovers it was always straight, I started stylinh it from left to right becuase the left side receded faster than the right. I'm hopeful that it will turn out well but there's the small worry that it will come out looking odd. My hair fallls flat down my head too, not up into the air, I hope this is not an issue, and I hope a bit of styling gel will give me some flexibility.

Angles and direction are not the same thing.

what are you worried about?

2 hours ago, duchaine said:

Angles and direction are not the same thing.

what are you worried about?

Perhaps its the direction I'm worried about 🤔 I'm not sure. I just don't want my hair to be pointing out in funny directions.

5 hours ago, Rossybop said:

Perhaps its the direction I'm worried about 🤔 I'm not sure. I just don't want my hair to be pointing out in funny directions.

the hair angle refers to the anterior-posterior angle of the hair graft, i.e., how much tilt upward or downward the hair graft is situated vis-à-vis the scalp. The hair direction refers to the lateral side to side rotation to which the hair points, i.e., whether it aims toward the left or toward the right and how much it does so.

Pick your problem.

• Thanks 1

I'm actually intrigued by both problems lol. I want the angle of my hair to grow flat down my forehead and not up into the sky. The new grafts currently seem to be pointing more upwards than my native hair. As for the direction I don't mind if it grows a little to the left but I would hope it doesn't grow too far out west because I'd rather it go mostly down south.