Help Hair Shake

So after having a transplant less than two weeks ago I'll probably stay out of the gym until week 3 or thereabouts. When I go back to the gym I'll ease into, and I'll probably stay off supplements until 2 months have passed.

Anyway, I asked my HT surgeon about supplements and the only protein shake he reccomends is this stuff called the Help Hair shake by Lawrence Shapiro. Surprise surpirse its more expensive than your average shake. Its sold by CR Labs, on their website.

This brings me to another point. The same doctor is quite adament on reccomending CR Labs shampoo for scalp and hair health, but surprise surprise the CR Labs shampoos are insanely expensive, I mean, possibly the most expensive shampoo in the world. He also reccomends this patch called the Havogen 5 patch.

It all seems like a bit of an unethical audacious money-grabbing scam to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

If it is a scam as I suspect it is then it dissapoints me and disheartens me because somebody that's meant to be a good doctor shouldn't get involved in such a thing. 

I agree disappointing that your doc is pushing products that are really not necessary.

A first hair transplant is kind of like a first child, the parents splurge on all kinds of unnecessary things and the most expensive brands and then by the second or third one they know better.

I think you are near or past 10 days right? Just stick to the foundational stuff -good food, enough sleep, stress management, ease yourself into moderate exercise. Its a shame people can't make a fortune telling that truth.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ciaus said:

I agree disappointing that your doc is pushing products that are really not necessary.

A first hair transplant is kind of like a first child, the parents splurge on all kinds of unnecessary things and the most expensive brands and then by the second or third one they know better.

I think you are near or past 10 days right? Just stick to the foundational stuff -good food, enough sleep, stress management, ease yourself into moderate exercise. Its a shame people can't make a fortune telling that truth.

It is dissapointing because its actually affecting my evaluation of him. Its like when a popular pop star does something lewd which tarnishes their reputation. You wish they didn't do it.

He's not aggressively pushing the products I need to be clear about that, but he definitely has a vetted interest in highly reccomending these products while excluding a range of other more options. Its not cool in my opinion. In fact I think in the long run it could come back to affect his reputation.

Out of curiosity do a lot of trusted HT surgeons try to sell aload of gimmicks?

My friend I am on day 12 rolling into day 13 now (03:07 in Ireland lol). Tomorrow I plan on going for a light jog, 5km or thereabouts. Next week I'll return to the gym and I'll spend a month going twice weekly with no supplements, then I'll spend about 6 weeks going 3 times weekly with supplements. Then I'll give up on the gym and return to my natural habitat in the pub.

I'm sleeping, eating and relaxing generously since my procedure.

Yea this many days post op its going to be harder for you to mess up your results than optimize them.

Don't know about he industry in general, maybe some others will chime in. I remember my doctor's office front desk had some shampoo and graft spray bottles off to the side, but they didn't try to push them and I didn't even ask about them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rossybop said:

So after having a transplant less than two weeks ago I'll probably stay out of the gym until week 3 or thereabouts. When I go back to the gym I'll ease into, and I'll probably stay off supplements until 2 months have passed.

Anyway, I asked my HT surgeon about supplements and the only protein shake he reccomends is this stuff called the Help Hair shake by Lawrence Shapiro. Surprise surpirse its more expensive than your average shake. Its sold by CR Labs, on their website.

This brings me to another point. The same doctor is quite adament on reccomending CR Labs shampoo for scalp and hair health, but surprise surprise the CR Labs shampoos are insanely expensive, I mean, possibly the most expensive shampoo in the world. He also reccomends this patch called the Havogen 5 patch.

It all seems like a bit of an unethical audacious money-grabbing scam to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

If it is a scam as I suspect it is then it dissapoints me and disheartens me because somebody that's meant to be a good doctor shouldn't get involved in such a thing. 

As ALL of the products he is recommending comes from CR Labs then it does seem suspicious. If you have a range of products from different brands then ok but to focus and recommend one in particular? Hmmm 🤔 

9 hours ago, ciaus said:

Yea this many days post op its going to be harder for you to mess up your results than optimize them.

Don't know about he industry in general, maybe some others will chime in. I remember my doctor's office front desk had some shampoo and graft spray bottles off to the side, but they didn't try to push them and I didn't even ask about them.

Cool. Who was your doctor? :o

4 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

As ALL of the products he is recommending comes from CR Labs then it does seem suspicious. If you have a range of products from different brands then ok but to focus and recommend one in particular? Hmmm 🤔 

Yeah defo suspish! It would be so much of a red herring if the stuff wasn't so darn expensive 😝

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Who is the surgeon? I know WHEY protein is not recommended. Are you on  finasteride?

Its Saifi in Poland. Now he's not really pushing them down my throat but there's defo a strong drive to sell them. The problem is they're just way too expensive. How come Whey is not reccomended? I am on fin and I'll probably statt Regaine soon too.

27 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

Cool. Who was your doctor?

Mine was Dr Bradley Wolf in the US.

24 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

This just reminds of when you get a haircut and they will always recommend the expensive products they happen to sell....

The haircut places I've been to do have the glass displays of various hair products but I haven't had one of the barbers recommend them. Probably afraid it will cut into what would otherwise be their tip! :D I would guess the salons that primarily cater to women would actually push them though.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

You would want your Dr/Clinic to recommend a product that was either proven or very well reviewed. This just reminds of when you get a haircut and they will always recommend the expensive products they happen to sell....

Exaclty 👏 The thing is there isn't enough research available to learn about these products he's reccomending, and no other doctors seem to be reccomending them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ciaus said:

Mine was Dr Bradley Wolf in the US.

The haircut places I've been to do have the glass displays of various hair products but I haven't had one of the barbers recommend them. Probably afraid it will cut into what would otherwise be their tip! :D I would guess the salons that primarily cater to women would actually push them though.

Wow, if this is the same Dr Wolf - the one in Cincinatti - that I just Googled it looks like you went to a top guy. I bet it was pricey enough without the added gimmicks lol. Funny to think a doctor of his status would sell novelty stuff for extra money like that but there you go.

Yeah I've not often been recccomended the stuff in barbers but have noticed them too. Maybe if my hair transplant works really well I'll buy them.

14 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

The Uk clinics I went too tried pushing certain items. And certain meds. 
When I was in Turkey it was the opposite, they were just giving stuff away 😂

That is so funny! What clinics did you go to in the UK and what were they pushing? Did you get a good job in Turkey? 😮

• Administrators

It’s overpriced protein. It will do nothing for hair loss or growth.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

Nothing for hair loss you say. Upsetting to see trusted doctors flogging this stuff.

When you say trusted, who do you mean? My first doc tried to sell me that crap, I wouldn’t call him trusted.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

15 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

When you say trusted, who do you mean? My first doc tried to sell me that crap, I wouldn’t call him trusted.

Wow. Saifi supports this stuff. Its not jammed down your throat or anything but there's definitely an intent to promote it.

pretty much all full-time HT docs are in it exclusively for the money. While improving a patient's hair certainly improves the patient's psychological well-being, it's not the same as fixing a cleft palate or some other visible disfiguration. I can't imagine any person punishing themselves to get thru medical school because they believe it is a social justice worthy cause to give guys more hair so they can do better with the ladies 🤣

They are all in it for the money, which is one of the reasons the hair transplant industry can be so shady at times. To be fair tho, many (most?) cosmetic doctors are in it for the money. I was at the dermatologist last week and getting the sales pitch on a bunch of different treatments. So its not just limited to HT docs. 

Edited by DenverBuff1989

26 minutes ago, DenverBuff1989 said:

pretty much all full-time HT docs are in it exclusively for the money. While improving a patient's hair certainly improves the patient's psychological well-being, it's not the same as fixing a cleft palate or some other visible disfiguration. I can't imagine any person punishing themselves to get thru medical school because they believe it is a social justice worthy cause to give guys more hair so they can do better with the ladies 🤣

They are all in it for the money, which is one of the reasons the hair transplant industry can be so shady at times. To be fair tho, many (most?) cosmetic doctors are in it for the money. I was at the dermatologist last week and getting the sales pitch on a bunch of different treatments. So its not just limited to HT docs. 

I'm sure money is a motivating factor for a lot of them but patient well-being, ethical behaviour, pride in their work and so on, they should be considered highly important components too.

I actually think you're wrong; I think hair loss can be a very debilitating problem for some men, and women, and I think that very satisfying hair restoration can have a profound impact on a patient. Giving somebody the confidence to go out dating is very socially significant.

If I could start my life on a clean slate again I'd consider studying medicine and maybe consider hair restoration and I certainly would not be motivated to sell gimmicks for cash. There are doctors on this site that give out free advice with the patient's best interest in their stride. I disagree with your perspective.

• Like 1