2nd HT: 5210 Grafts FUE with Asmed (Dr. Koray Erdogan)

Mario_s90

Hey guys, reviewing the post op pictures (occipital), I am wondering why they have left a gap between the beginning of the safe zone hair and the transplanted area at the crown... it looks like a „bald stripe“... any idea? I think I saw this at other patients as well but not sure if there is a certain reason for that...?

• Valued Contributor

Hattinghen Hair where you had your first surgery is an excellent clinic. Your current procedure looks well placed in my opinion. If you stay on the Finasteride you should be in for a stellar result. Looking forward to following your updates! All the best.

• Like 1

@Gatsbythank you!

Attached please see quick update 18 days post op... i think everything looks quite normal so far and I already can‘t count the amount of hairs in my hand during the shower 😕

I think the donor recovers well as the scar from First HT disappears day by day.. though there is some minor shockloss in the area below  the scar..

1F3587AE-0A5F-4021-916D-16D025422F26.jpeg

5312DC89-0B04-431D-B148-AAFA73A23ADC.jpeg

Edited by Mario_s90

1 hour ago, Mario_s90 said:

@Gatsbythank you!

Attached please see quick update 18 days post op... i think everything looks quite normal so far and I already can‘t count the amount of hairs in my hand during the shower 😕

I think the donor recovers well as the scar from First HT disappears day by day.. though there is some minor shockloss in the area below  the scar..

1F3587AE-0A5F-4021-916D-16D025422F26.jpeg

5312DC89-0B04-431D-B148-AAFA73A23ADC.jpeg

Seems it's normal shedding phase. It can be a big distraughting seeing all the shedding but it's part of the process. After this 5200 grafts you should be pretty much done. 

• Like 2

Looks really good, I am sure this will be awesome once it grows back!

Also regarding the donor - you're saying you had around 7800 left after your 5200 FUT = 14000 grafts available total? That's an insane amount! I thought the donor has around 6k at best - any explanation as to what about your case is different?

Minoxidil 1x day

Stopped Fin due to sides

HT With Dr. Konior December 2020: https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/anotherhairlossdude/4442

12 minutes ago, anotherhairlosssufferer said:

Looks really good, I am sure this will be awesome once it grows back!

Also regarding the donor - you're saying you had around 7800 left after your 5200 FUT = 14000 grafts available total? That's an insane amount! I thought the donor has around 6k at best - any explanation as to what about your case is different?

I would say every individual is different. Some have very dense donors and there have been many on this forum that have had close to 12k grafts. But someone with thick hair may not need as many grafts while a person with thin hair texture may need more for coverage. I think really it's a case by case basis.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

I would say every individual is different. Some have very dense donors and there have been many on this forum that have had close to 12k grafts. But someone with thick hair may not need as many grafts while a person with thin hair texture may need more for coverage. I think really it's a case by case basis.

Totally agree. In addition to that, I think the strategy of combining FUT with FUE makes sense to increase the amount of potential grafts. 

• Like 4

Looks great man. I'm sure your results will be amazing!

On 12/29/2020 at 12:54 AM, Mario_s90 said:

Hey guys, reviewing the post op pictures (occipital), I am wondering why they have left a gap between the beginning of the safe zone hair and the transplanted area at the crown... it looks like a „bald stripe“... any idea? I think I saw this at other patients as well but not sure if there is a certain reason for that...?

I also had a similar gap after my HT at ASMED last year. It grew out well and is not noticeable anymore so I'm sure you will be fine. You can see photos of my results in my forum topic.

It think that the finasteride will help to thicken the miniaturized hairs in the crown, making the bald spot to decrease in size and the gap to eventually go away in the coming months. Now I'm not fully sure but if I remember correctly I also think that the crown area was shaved a second time on day 2 before the surgery, whereas the full shave was done day 0, which could also explain why the gap looks balder than the area below. Do you remember if they did that to you?

• Like 1

First hair transplant: 5078 FUE Grafts with Dr. Koray Erdogan, ASMED clinic, January 2020 

Link: https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/56016-5078-grafts-fue-910th-jan-2020-asmed-dr-koray-erdogan

10 hours ago, KM90 said:

Looks great man. I'm sure your results will be amazing!

I also had a similar gap after my HT at ASMED last year. It grew out well and is not noticeable anymore so I'm sure you will be fine. You can see photos of my results in my forum topic.

It think that the finasteride will help to thicken the miniaturized hairs in the crown, making the bald spot to decrease in size and the gap to eventually go away in the coming months. Now I'm not fully sure but if I remember correctly I also think that the crown area was shaved a second time on day 2 before the surgery, whereas the full shave was done day 0, which could also explain why the gap looks balder than the area below. Do you remember if they did that to you?

Thank you @KM90! Just checked your story, amazing results! Congratulations! 
You are absolutely right - they shaved the Head on day 0 and specifically the crown area on day2 again. Funny to see exactly the same gap in your pictures. Happy that it grew out well!

Hey all,

this is my 4-weeks-status.

Ugly duckling kicked in but what concerns me more is the big shockloss area below the scar. Hope it recovers over time.

Any thoughts on the current status?

FA2F53C1-00B7-439E-B9E2-A4C831370208.jpeg

1AF7FA33-BF63-4620-BE29-D4AC08332C18.jpeg

9931E00B-6855-476F-9783-36AD70A6822B.jpeg

01A864D8-FEA6-4CDE-B6AB-FEF044103158.jpeg

Edited by Mario_s90

@Mario_s90 Happy growing to you, I hope the result turns out well.

I think what happened to your hair, because you were not on finasteride, is that eventually (in some patients) the donor hair takes on characteristics of the recipient, and even though your donor hair is more dht resistant (even in the absolute safe zone), it will obtain some properties of your hair in the recipient area.

I made a thread about it here 

Now that you are on finasteride, I believe your hairs will be much better protected. 

On 12/27/2020 at 6:32 AM, deitel130 said:

From your second pre op pics and your pics after the first HT there does not seem to be much lost. It may have just been the few remaining native hair you lost.

Sorry that is just not true. He was almost slick bald in his before picture. He clearly lost transplanted hair unfortunately. However now that he is on finasteride I believe his next transplant, and his existing transplanted hairs, will be stronger. If he adds minoxidil that will help as well.

Edited by asterix0

Hey Mario,

first of all congratulations for such a change on your first HT: that was incredible!

It seems all good at one month!

Shockloss is a very common “issues” that many HT patients experience over the first few months.Have you reached the clinic to check this with them?

I believe it will recover in a few weeks, considering you’re now on finasteride.

Also your first HT was done via strip so I don’t believe after your first FUE that it will stay like that.

It’s going to look better, don’t worry!💪

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jimmy58 said:

Hey Mario,

first of all congratulations for such a change on your first HT: that was incredible!

It seems all good at one month!

Shockloss is a very common “issues” that many HT patients experience over the first few months.Have you reached the clinic to check this with them?

I believe it will recover in a few weeks, considering you’re now on finasteride.

Also your first HT was done via strip so I don’t believe after your first FUE that it will stay like that.

It’s going to look better, don’t worry!💪

Thank you Jimmy! 
So far I did not contact the clinic as I agree shockloss is a common issue. If the situation will not improve the next weeks, I will reach out to them!

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Jimmy58 said:

Hi Mario,

how’s going?

Is the donor slowly recovering?

Hey Jimmy,

thanks for asking! 

I‘m now 40-days post op and I think nothing changed so far. Transplanted hair is gone, „old hair“ is growing slowly and donor is stil patchy (esp. the lower part). I just took some photos to show the current status.

BR, mario 

AB160B97-74CF-4FEE-B903-FD6344F4B582.jpeg

840F7A3D-383E-4AD3-9D9D-B167EB86572F.jpeg

E5F2DB49-38EF-44CB-957B-4A3B981C2BC6.jpeg

C3CFBAD0-6747-4F31-A348-A726444D0D2E.jpeg

Hi Mario,

From the pics it seems the donor is getting better! Also your scalp isn’t as pink(red) as 3 weeks ago.

I know it will still take some time to completely recover, but I feel is progressing well✌️

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Jimmy! 

I agree, scalp is improving day by day. Anyway, i am frequently in contact with Asmed. They state that the patchy area below the scar is not a matter of shockloss. They see it as growing process case as I already had a surgery before and donor needs longer to recover. They expect the donor area to re-grow between 3 and 6 months. So patience is crucial now 😃

On 1/25/2021 at 8:53 AM, Jimmy58 said:

Hi Mario,

From the pics it seems the donor is getting better! Also your scalp isn’t as pink(red) as 3 weeks ago.

I know it will still take some time to completely recover, but I feel is progressing well✌️

39FCC445-3549-49BA-AF9B-18E0AB229A4F.jpeg

E704E850-B933-4413-9C9A-45F02905E5FD.jpeg

361A8E5A-DB80-4AF6-A3F9-78384227F6F7.jpeg

• Administrators

The donor is improving, a bit of shock loss. You’ve turned the corner. Fun is about to start.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am exactly 2 months Post-OP now. I think current status is fine according to normal process. I feel some improvements at Donor area. So far, no growth of transplanted hair Vorsilbe (which is nornal for two months). 
Attached please some pictures I took this morning.

Any thoughts?

0449CEBB-71FC-4BCC-A839-ADA7F445DA1B.jpeg

8DDB81AC-5E28-44C1-936A-7DA8C3EC4FFD.jpeg

6C78C842-0F75-4BD6-9EAA-2904D1697508.jpeg

2890C417-FDBA-4170-B35F-A8A561833DEC.jpeg

DFFDC0C7-5EC5-4C68-9A9A-A2FF0E4E1971.jpeg

C7A94E12-D1C1-4467-98E1-55FB623B089D.jpeg