FUT or FUE Which Is Better? Dr. Konior Answers

OH yeah…that’s the BUD!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

200.gif

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Saturday Night Live?

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 2 months later...

In general terms I would agree but not in every case.

Gillenator

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to bump this thread and just ask a few questions i had. 

I have been watching a lot of videos and trying to get as much information as i possibly can and prepare myself. 

Eugenix seem to almost exclusively do FUE now. 

Feller Medical almost always seem to go for FUT

I was watching a video on YouTube dated around 2017 from Feller Medical and in it, they mentioned how for the frontal hairline, they found that FUT appeared to get a 98% growth rate and for FUE it was circa 80%.

I'm looking to have my frontal hairline, temporal areas and temporal points done. I'm still heavily leaning towards Eugenix for this. I just wanted to post the question of whether since that 2017 video, that 80% growth rate for frontal hairline zones has been disproven with clinics that use more modern techniques and methods for FUE

20% of grafts not growing amounts to a fair amount of lost grafts if that was true. 

The skill level between surgeons and the staff, including the individuals performing the extractions are going to vary and so will the regrowth numbers and the end result.

Gillenator

When people say transection rate of FUE is same or even lesser than FUT in some studies, I guess this is when doctors are doing extraction themselves. For an average technician around the world a FUE extraction is more difficult than a FUT follicle creation.  I am  not sure I will buy the report that FUE transection rate is lesser unless your extraction is done by a top doctor.

Yet it seems nowadays that most of the extractions are being performed by techs, not the doctors.

Gillenator

8 hours ago, gillenator said:

Yet it seems nowadays that most of the extractions are being performed by techs, not the doctors.

As long as the technicians have just practiced that one job and for many, many years and over many different patients. It's possibly a better option to achieve speed and precision without tiring the doctor out. 

Truth be told, there are a number of techs who have refined their skills to the point that some of them are far more experienced and better at performing the extractions than the doctor...and many docs actually prefer the techs to do this crucial part of a FUE procedure....it's labor intensive and as long as there are experienced techs available to do the extractions...just let them do it!

Gillenator

As long as there are experienced techs who are “competent” and have demonstrated their skill level over long periods…including very low levels of transection.

Gillenator

Another challenge I see with FUE extraction is when the donor has high count density but finer hair. When doing extraction even if they take care to not not damage the unit being extracted how about the neighbouring 5-6 grafts around each unit. Are the techs skilled enough not to impact surrounding follicles. In the past I have seen cases where the recepient area turns out  good  but  the donor area looks like 4000 graft extracted even when the extraction was 2000 graft, its not common but happens. I guess it again depends upon equipment, punch size selection and skill of the technicians. These variables seem to come lesser into pic during FUT though where the doctor makes incision.

It's called collateral damage and why many FUHT based surgeons were against FUE methods when it first hit North America several decades ago....yet at that time, there were only a handful of docs who were demonstrating the required skill level as compared to the number today.

Gillenator

• 3 months later...

In some cases yes that’s possible however it’s a better approach to maximize the donor by FUHT and finish with FUE…these are cases requiring at least 5,000 grafts plus.

Gillenator

• 2 months later...

What you hear and what is factual can be worlds apart… it really comes down to skill.

Gillenator

On 7/25/2022 at 1:21 PM, Shaheer said:

I heard there is more wastage of grafts in fut while doing all the cutting and stitching. Don't know if it's true. 

High transection rates are just as damaging in the extraction process if the skill is lacking.

Gillenator