FUT or FUE Which Is Better? Dr. Konior Answers

• Administrators

• Like 11

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The correct answer to FUT or FUE is BOTH!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 5 weeks later...

The answer is indeed both and why both methods are thriving...or should I say that the industry has been thriving for the past several decades.

There are many variables that contribute into the final decision as to what method is best suited for the individual.

And some end up using a combination of both methods to attain their long term goals.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 month later...

I agree the answer id probably both. It really depends on the patient hair loss, donor supply along with the many other factors that go along with deciding on which type of procedure to have. Some patients are clearly a better candidate43 for one or the other based on their situation and some patients are lucky and are good candidates for either and it is just a personal preference. Unfortunately there are still clinics out there that only offer either FUT or FUE and they try to push every patients into that procedure even knowing they might be suited for the other procedure. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 3/3/2021 at 11:13 AM, Dr. Glenn Charles said:

I agree the answer id probably both. It really depends on the patient hair loss, donor supply along with the many other factors that go along with deciding on which type of procedure to have. Some patients are clearly a better candidate43 for one or the other based on their situation and some patients are lucky and are good candidates for either and it is just a personal preference. Unfortunately there are still clinics out there that only offer either FUT or FUE and they try to push every patients into that procedure even knowing they might be suited for the other procedure. 

Yea, theres no one size fits all to surgery, which is why it's good to get a surgeon like you who does both.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

And when considering a surgeon, you want to see as many examples of both methods on patients with similar hair characteristics and loss patterns as yourself.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, gillenator said:

And when considering a surgeon, you want to see as many examples of both methods on patients with similar hair characteristics and loss patterns as yourself.

Great point 

View my thread

Very good. That video helps make a decision for someone who is gonna have for the first time. But what about someone who already had one, and need more?

I'm still uncertain if I should do another FUT (2nd one, already had one before) and a FUE later (3rd one) or FUE now and another FUE later. (I'll need 2 more)

I spoke with different surgeons/clinics, one says is better to do FUE another says is better to do FUT again... It's hard to make a decision when diffferent surgeons say different things

Edited by Phab

• Administrators

What have you had FUT?

View my thread

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Phab said:

@Melvin-Moderator Yes, FUT (scar on the side of the head)

If you’ve had FUT I’d go FUT again. 

View my thread

I agree...the scar is there so maximize the harvest if you need lots of work to accomplish your goals.

Gillenator

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 6:18 PM, gillenator said:

I agree...the scar is there so maximize the harvest if you need lots of work to accomplish your goals.

what if your second procedure was only for 2,000 grafts or less? Would you save the laxity for a large FUT down the road if needed and do an FUE for the 2,000?

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I think it depends on how much more work was needed to accomplish the overall goal...if it's going to take significantly more than 2,000 then I would wait and do the larger FUHT procedure and not due the 2,000 FUE right now.

Gillenator

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that both procedures are excellent options for the head depending on the many factors mentioned above.  I'd say though that FUT is a better option for the beard and eyebrows as the grafts can be slivered with more supporting tissue into individual units that appears much more natural when transplanted into the face.  

• Administrators
On 4/17/2021 at 3:59 PM, Dr. Neil Verma said:

I agree that both procedures are excellent options for the head depending on the many factors mentioned above.  I'd say though that FUT is a better option for the beard and eyebrows as the grafts can be slivered with more supporting tissue into individual units that appears much more natural when transplanted into the face.  

I’ve never heard of anyone using FUT for body hair. I would imagine the scarring would be pretty bad especially if its on your face.

View my thread

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, Dr. Neil Verma said:

Sorry, I meant donor scalp FUT to recipient facial hair.  Body hair donor is all FUE

Oh ok that makes sense.

View my thread

Definitely all FUE!

Gillenator

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2020 at 7:08 AM, jolly said:

wow i like the tag line : Neither  One is  Better  OR Wrong , so that puts All the debate to Rest .

But for FUE, you are extracting outside the "safe zone" donor area so your transplant hair is less likely to last compared to FUT. Am I wrong? 

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, Smacias15 said:

But for FUE, you are extracting outside the "safe zone" donor area so your transplant hair is less likely to last compared to FUT. Am I wrong? 

It depends on the patients individual safe zone. No ones "safe zone" is the same. For some, the nape is safe, and for others it isn't.

• Like 2

View my thread

41 minutes ago, Smacias15 said:

If you are to compare the two methods, then the answer to the 'likely' part is yes as you are extracting from the most DHT resistant area of the scalp with FUT. But as Melvin pointed out it does come down to the patients individual safe zone. But generally speaking, no you are not wrong.