FUT or FUE Which Is Better? Dr. Konior Answers

This question came up yesterday with a patient that was a Norwood 5 and had let his hair grow quite long to conceal his crown loss.  As he did not want to shave his hair and it was his first procedure that would not go near his crown loss he opted to go for FUT to repair his anterior hairline and midscalp.  Understanding patient goals is important to deciding what is best for the individual. 

Youtuber David DiMuzio did a similar video with his hair transplant doctor Steve cook, and he mentioned that a person is only a fue candidate if they don't have hair loss gene running in their family and just looking to fill in some thinning/bald area, if you have thick dark, straight hair, and if you are just have minor hair loss. What are your thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, Smacias15 said:

Youtuber David DiMuzio did a similar video with his hair transplant doctor Steve cook, and he mentioned that a person is only a fue candidate if they don't have hair loss gene running in their family and just looking to fill in some thinning/bald area, if you have thick dark, straight hair, and if you are just have minor hair loss. What are your thoughts? 

DiMuzio is an idiot - he’s a classic case of proclaiming his way or the high way to make himself comfortable and justify his decisions (3x FUT’s - 1 horrible looking scar). 

FUE is only acceptable on patients who don’t have hairloss in their families? Lmao . . You might as well say wearing a winter jacket is only acceptable if you don’t go outside into the cold. 

If you require a hair transplant, the likelihood that another male in your family tree has suffered hairloss is 99.9999999999999%. 

There are candidates that present to be more suited for one or the other, sure . . But to say that is the only patient criteria that should warrant FUE is absurd. 

Look at @Zoomster @Melvin-Moderator @Abhinay Singh @Rolandas @Craig2412 . . All mid to high NW’s who have had FUE only.

Ask DiMuzio if he thinks it didn’t work out for them 😂

On 5/6/2021 at 12:26 PM, Dr. Neil Verma said:

This question came up yesterday with a patient that was a Norwood 5 and had let his hair grow quite long to conceal his crown loss.  As he did not want to shave his hair and it was his first procedure that would not go near his crown loss he opted to go for FUT to repair his anterior hairline and midscalp.  Understanding patient goals is important to deciding what is best for the individual. 

Great answer!...😉

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

IMO FUE all the Way, Also check out DHI! FUT is outdated and is more traumatic. Personally i would go with DHI, or Micro FUE + sapphire or platinum tip which reduces the the size/hole when the canals are opened by the tool. It recovers faster that way as well. :).  Trusted doctor with good experience who does the canal opening himself. Both DHI and FUE are actually FUE methods, FUE manual and DHI is more about the difference in the pen they use and the size of the tip and at which angles the hairs are implanted. This effects density greatly. 

20 hours ago, John Justice said:

IMO FUE all the Way, Also check out DHI! FUT is outdated and is more traumatic. Personally i would go with DHI, or Micro FUE + sapphire or platinum tip which reduces the the size/hole when the canals are opened by the tool. It recovers faster that way as well. :).  Trusted doctor with good experience who does the canal opening himself. Both DHI and FUE are actually FUE methods, FUE manual and DHI is more about the difference in the pen they use and the size of the tip and at which angles the hairs are implanted. This effects density greatly. 

Sapphire tipped blades, dhi, etc….all marketing terms used by many Turkish clinics.

The fact of the matter is most top clinics such as H&w, konior/Nadimi, bisanga, hattingen, all offer both fut and fue. Starting with fut first you’ll have a greater lifetime supply of grafts compared to just fue alone. Not only that, fue has a higher transaction rate.

you mention higher density with dhi but again that’s just marketing. Hasson is known for his high density results and he utilizes custom cut blades as far as I know.

trust me, I went to a very well known fue only clinic and got mediocre results and partial depletion of my donor.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Lot’s of good points and yes, many of the top docs use custom blades that create their incision sites.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 3:25 AM, Curious25 said:

DiMuzio is an idiot - he’s a classic case of proclaiming his way or the high way to make himself comfortable and justify his decisions (3x FUT’s - 1 horrible looking scar). 

FUE is only acceptable on patients who don’t have hairloss in their families? Lmao . . You might as well say wearing a winter jacket is only acceptable if you don’t go outside into the cold. 

If you require a hair transplant, the likelihood that another male in your family tree has suffered hairloss is 99.9999999999999%. 

There are candidates that present to be more suited for one or the other, sure . . But to say that is the only patient criteria that should warrant FUE is absurd. 

Look at @Zoomster @Melvin-Moderator @Abhinay Singh @Rolandas @Craig2412 . . All mid to high NW’s who have had FUE only.

Ask DiMuzio if he thinks it didn’t work out for them 😂

Correct! Dimuzio doesnt know what hes talking about. Even the stuff he explains in his videos is non-sensical.

Fue and fut cant be strictly defined. Appreciate the comment!

That dude lost my credibility long ago when he was promoting laser caps n nutrient pills ..

n now he’s just gotten another HT , 4th time Now to get more density n repair  previous hairline issues .. 

Just a dude wanting attention ,. N don’t know much but basics . 

On 5/21/2021 at 6:13 AM, John Justice said:

Fut does yield more graft survival than fue which has been documented. How much is definitely up to the skill and experience of the doctor, techs, your dna, etc.

Sapphire is just a marketing gimmick which is not worlds apart from conventional steel tip. As for doctors doing all the extractions themselves that in and of itself wont guarantee a good transplant but chances are it will admittingly. There are some techs that actually do a better job than the doctor in that dept.

Edited by dtap

12 hours ago, dtap said:

Fut does yield more graft survival than fue which has been documented. How much is definitely up to the skill and experience of the doctor, techs, your dna, etc.

Sapphire is just a marketing gimmick which is not worlds apart from conventional steel tip. As for doctors doing all the extractions themselves that in and of itself wont guarantee a good transplant but chances are it will admittingly. There are some techs that actually do a better job than the doctor in that dept.

Shapiro et al. did a small study that showed the exact opposite. That FUE yielded higher graft survival than FUT.  It's a moot point however, because with good surgical technique survival rates are very similar. The old thinking about FUT having better survival rates is when FUE just came on the market and physicians were learning the technique. There is a correct extraction method for each case and it should be determined on an individual basis. 

• Like 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

I have said it countless times before and will say it AGAIN, “both techniques have their place in surgical hair restoration”….PERIOD!

• Like 3

Gillenator

11 hours ago, BDK081522 said:

Shapiro et al. did a small study that showed the exact opposite. That FUE yielded higher graft survival than FUT.  It's a moot point however, because with good surgical technique survival rates are very similar. The old thinking about FUT having better survival rates is when FUE just came on the market and physicians were learning the technique. There is a correct extraction method for each case and it should be determined on an individual basis. 

But how? Fue carries a greater risk/benefit ratio than fut since it involves more damage to neighboring unextracted follicles which has been documented.

Provide a source.

Edited by dtap

Why is there greater risk with FUE of damaging unextracted follicles? If you have an experienced surgeon using the appropriate sized extraction tool at the correct angles there is minimal risk. In addition, injuring adjacent follicles has nothing to do with survival rates of implanted grafts. So, your rebuttal of why FUT has better survival rates doesn't actually even touch on the reason why. 

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, dtap said:

But how? Fue carries a greater risk/benefit ratio than fut since it involves more damage to neighboring unextracted follicles which has been documented.

Provide a source.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

21 hours ago, BDK081522 said:

Why is there greater risk with FUE of damaging unextracted follicles? If you have an experienced surgeon using the appropriate sized extraction tool at the correct angles there is minimal risk. In addition, injuring adjacent follicles has nothing to do with survival rates of implanted grafts. So, your rebuttal of why FUT has better survival rates doesn't actually even touch on the reason why. 

Unfortunately even the most experienced doctors cant avoid damaging adjacent follicles given the most advanced tools current tech offers including microscopes and cutting devices. Follicles are still so damn close to one another that avoiding cutting satellite follicles is a pipe dream. Doctors have stated that fut offers better survival. So your implied view of fue being a perfect procedure doesnt hold up.

Still waiting on a source.

Edited by dtap

Okay, so I've never stated that FUE is the "perfect procedure". There is no perfect procedure. It's medicine, it's surgery, there's variables and risks that are individually introduced with every single patient's unique physiology. I'm not an FUE proponent. I'm a proponent for the best extraction method for each individual case. Unfortunately, you're just plain wrong about your preconceived high FUE transection theory. The elite surgeons wear high magnification loops and can extract very precisely. Of course, there may be a couple during a large extraction case but it's negligible. You should either speak with or review cases of the elite FUE surgeons today.  Transection rate in a normal donor is almost a non-issue with today's methods. Furthermore, you're basing your assumptions on what doctors have "stated". Which doctors? There's always motive. I'm sure FUE only surgeons state that FUE yields better and vice versa with the older FUT doctors. The reality is that the difference in yield is so small it's deemed insignificant to the overall appearance.  Here's your source that you've requested. Like I said it's a very small sample size but all the appropriate precautions were taken to get accurate results. Read the study and hopefully you'll have a change in viewpoint. 

https://www.ishrs-htforum.org/content/28/5/179

Edited by BDK081522

• Administrators
22 hours ago, dtap said:

Unfortunately even the most experienced doctors cant avoid damaging adjacent follicles given the most advanced tools current tech offers including microscopes and cutting devices. Follicles are still so damn close to one another that avoiding cutting satellite follicles is a pipe dream. Doctors have stated that fut offers better survival. So your implied view of fue being a perfect procedure doesnt hold up.

Still waiting on a source.

I just provided you a source. Did you watch the video? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, BDK081522 said:

Okay, so I've never stated that FUE is the "perfect procedure". There is no perfect procedure. It's medicine, it's surgery, there's variables and risks that are individually introduced with every single patient's unique physiology. I'm not an FUE proponent. I'm a proponent for the best extraction method for each individual case. Unfortunately, you're just plain wrong about your preconceived high FUE transection theory. The elite surgeons wear high magnification loops and can extract very precisely. Of course, there may be a couple during a large extraction case but it's negligible. You should either speak with or review cases of the elite FUE surgeons today.  Transection rate in a normal donor is almost a non-issue with today's methods. Furthermore, you're basing your assumptions on what doctors have "stated". Which doctors? There's always motive. I'm sure FUE only surgeons state that FUE yields better and vice versa with the older FUT doctors. The reality is that the difference in yield is so small it's deemed insignificant to the overall appearance.  Here's your source that you've requested. Like I said it's a very small sample size but all the appropriate precautions were taken to get accurate results. Read the study and hopefully you'll have a change in viewpoint. 

https://www.ishrs-htforum.org/content/28/5/179

There’s one very anti-FUE doctor in New York. Just like there’s a very anti-FUT doctor in Atlanta, truth lyes in the middle.

View my thread

Truth also lies with a place for both techniques.

Gillenator

1 minute ago, dtap said:

This is true also.

BDK081522 I'm still waiting for your source bud.

Bud, the source is linked in my last response. 

There will always be support for both techniques depending on the goals and viewpoints of individuals.

Gillenator

• Administrators

This buds for you 

image.jpeg

• Haha 3

View my thread