2 Weeks Post FUE

Hi Guys,

I’m 2 weeks post FUE transplant.  I noticed that after my scabs came out after 11 days, the area behind my hairline is looking a little sparse. I did notice a decent amount of hairs falling out with the scabs (no bleeding), so hoping that this is related to the shedding phase. These areas were densely packed post surgery, so these bald spots took me by surprise after the scabs fell off.  I’m sure it’s shedding related, but just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this and to ease my concerns. Appreciate any advice/comments you can share.  

40F8E8C8-55D7-40F7-9B63-6BFCA5E5FD67.jpeg

AC88B575-299B-463F-9296-15C039E0658C.jpeg

I don't want to scare you, it may be that from the pics I could be wrong, but to me the graft density does not seem particularly high, do you have more photos of the procedure and the pre-surgery to show? who is the surgeon and how many grafts have you placed?

Edited by Egy

I confirm what I said in my previous post, 2200 follicular units to lower the hairline so it seems few, consequently the surgeon has grafted the low density follicular units (It is my humble opinion) . Did you agree on the number before the procedure?

Edited by Egy

Yes, we did agree on the number of grafts before the surgery. I do trust this surgeon’s judgment (and I respect your opinion), so I guess time will tell. I did have a large amount of 3 hair grafts, so hopefully the density will look OK at the end of 1 year. I lost a decent amount of hairs after the scabs fell off, so hoping that the sparseness is related to that. Appreciate the response. 

• Like 1

You should get fairly good coverage with 2,200 grafts especially if you had a lot of 3 hair grafts.  Keep us posted monthly so we can see your progress.  Check out my website (archives 2012) if you want to compare coverage and typical results.  I posted narratives and photos and videos every day for the first 30 days and weekly after that.  Best of luck and please keep us posted.

• Thanks 1

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Looking at the before pictures it looks like you have very soft and somewhat fine hair. If that's the case then the end results, if everything grows in right, may look slightly thin, but very natural. I like the scattered hairline.

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I agree with "BeHappy", the staggered or asymmetrical hairline looks very good.  Happy growing to you.

• Thanks 1

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 8 months later...

Hi All,

It’s now been 10.5 months, and the results are disappointing to say the least. The hairline grew in OK (however I have noticed a few double hairs at the front of the hairline), but the area behind the hairline is still very sparse. The hair barely grew in at all behind the hairline. Does anyone know why this happens? I’ve been in contact with the doctor who performed the surgery, and they are extremely apologetic/surprised at the the results and want to make up for it by offering another surgery free of charge. This doctor does seem to be well regarded in their country (Brazil), and nothing stood out after post up (the quality of work looked very good), I’m just a little confused as to why this happened. I’d like to get some input from the community here on potential reasons why my hair grew in the way it did, and if they would feel confident going back to the same doctor. I’ll post some pictures of the progression below. Let me know if I can answer any questions you guys may have. 

EC95A079-EF2C-467B-B778-5C5A5611D664.jpeg

73664FE1-0117-423D-BCFA-8FC770B251CD.jpeg

69D4FD1D-445C-46B1-BC17-A17C8C1A545F.jpeg

D42EB9C9-C506-46D8-9AD3-F799737ABDB4.jpeg

DBE85A50-1A7F-4E1A-B11E-57D00BD7622E.jpeg

B844909D-3AC2-43C0-842E-369A5E757707.jpeg

• Sad 1

I'm sorry, but unfortunately I was not wrong when I wrote in December that the density of how the doctor grafted the follicular units was low , I also think it is repairable, but I advise you not to go back to the same clinic.

Edited by Egy
  • Thanks 1

With poor results the first time I wouldn’t be going back for anymore work at the same clinic, regardless if it was free or not. The transplant wasn’t planned well in the first place in terms of density. And you have had very little growth. It’s a shame when this happens, it can be for a whole host of different reasons. But the important thing would be to find another clinic who is a doing consistently good work for your next transplant. We can help suggest some better options. It would be good for you to mention the clinic you went too though so other members can be aware ! 

• Thanks 1

Please do NOT go back to this clinic for a free repair. The density grafted was low, the yield also turned out to be low, and there are multi grafts in the hairline. Please check out the list of recommended surgeons here and choose one for your repair. You will more than likely have to leave Brazil to get the result you're looking for. 

Edited by BDK081522
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

2 minutes ago, BDK081522 said:

Please do NOT go back to this clinic for a free repair. The density grafted was low, the yield also turned out to be low, and there are multi grafts in the hairline. Please check out the list of recommended surgeons here and choose one for your repair. You will more than likely have to leave Brazil to get the result you're looking for. 

Agreed. I said much the same. OP see the following:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

• Like 1

• Moderators

It looks like a lot of them didn't grow. You have complete empty space behind the hairline where a lot of grafts were placed. I wouldn't go back to the same clinic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Just wondering if the clinic was using NeoGraft equipment.  Some doctors suspect this equipment may dry out the follicles prior to implantation.  Not sure, but just a possibility. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for your input and advice. Yes, looking back now, I think it’s clear that the density should’ve been much greater. I’m unsure why many (most) of the grafts didn’t grow behind the hairline, but it could’ve been due to the equipment used. The doctor is extremely sympathetic and has offered me a full refund if I choose to not go back for a repair, so I think I will go with this route. Luckily, the donor region is still in great shape so a second surgery shouldn’t be an issue. Just unfortunate that this happened as I’m now back in the office and was hoping to knock this out when I could heal in the privacy of my home. Thank you to you all for your comments and advice. I really appreciate it. Time to go research other doctors and hopefully provide a much better update in the future. 

• Like 3

On 10/1/2021 at 6:11 PM, curiousfollicle said:

Thanks all for your input and advice. Yes, looking back now, I think it’s clear that the density should’ve been much greater. I’m unsure why many (most) of the grafts didn’t grow behind the hairline, but it could’ve been due to the equipment used. The doctor is extremely sympathetic and has offered me a full refund if I choose to not go back for a repair, so I think I will go with this route. Luckily, the donor region is still in great shape so a second surgery shouldn’t be an issue. Just unfortunate that this happened as I’m now back in the office and was hoping to knock this out when I could heal in the privacy of my home. Thank you to you all for your comments and advice. I really appreciate it. Time to go research other doctors and hopefully provide a much better update in the future. 

I'm very pleased to hear you're getting a refund and that the clinic is understanding. Having now gone through this, you'll be much better equipped this time around to thoroughly research other surgeons and choose one that will be able to give you a fantastic result. I hate that this didn't turn out the way you wanted - but am happy that your scalp doesn't look "botched" in any way and that this will hopefully be a straightforward repair. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56