The truth, the bald truth, and nothing but the truth...

I feel this forum isn't necessarily the biggest fans of the show, some beef somewhere down the line I guess... 

Anyway, I'm not so interested in the politics of it all, just looking for an unbiased answer if possible...

I was just wondering if the hosts from the show 'The Bald Truth' are 'sponsored' by Proscar in any way, shape or form.

They often remind listeners that they are there doing it for free and don't get paid a dime but I just wondered if anyone else knew / suspected / wondered if the bald truth hosts had any affiliation with the company Proscar or such

Thanks

• Administrators

Politics aside, Spencer has had a history of undermining our community, it looks like his co-host Joe has joined him and has built some resentment towards the forum. Joe, if you're reading this, I can't no ill will towards you bud.  I don't think Propecia/Proscar need to sponsor a radio show with a few hundred listeners, so no, I don't think there is any affiliation. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I used to listen to the show a lot when I was at the peak of my hairloss .  . It was really comforting to me, to hear others deal with the same situation. N I learned of them , almost As much as I learned from here .. n no they are not sponsored by proscar/finasteride . They just giving u the obvious fact , the only fda approved drug to slow hairloss is finasteride .. 

- I think their main profit comes from letting others know there are a lot of bad clinics out there , n surgery is no joke , so choose only there approved affiliated doctors that are paying them $thousands of dollars, then u are safe . Kinda the same thing this forum does ..

But they are providing a service , n information .. so I trust them n I trust this forum as my go to knowledge for hairloss n transplants . 

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor

I've watch the Bald Truth sporadically over the past five years or so and I actually phoned in a few weeks ago. Personally and politics aside, I think every young guy between 18-25 who thinks that he can get his hair back like he was when he was 18 by going to Turkey should watch the show. The show is not 'anti hair transplant.' The show is that a hair transplant should be your last option and highlights all of the risks. Too many people (including myself) wish that the bald Truth was around when we had a hair transplant so the show does play an important role. In fact, possibly more so now than ever.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Legend007 said:

I think their main profit comes from letting others know there are a lot of bad clinics out there , n surgery is no joke , so choose only there approved affiliated doctors that are paying them $thousands of dollars, then u are safe . Kinda the same thing this forum does ..

Definitely. I think most of the time most people can smell the recommendations a mile off, whether it be their show or this forum. But hey, money makes the world go round, right? As long as you know when such sponsorship marketing is taking place it's fine. 

I just wondered if they were getting any kickbacks without declaring it, which would be dodgy as hell as they push fin quite hard.

I guess It's always important to keep your eyes wide-open in this morally ambiguous industry

2 hours ago, follically challenged said:

I thought Proscar was a brand of the drug finasteride, and thus a company selling that drug?

Yea its the brand name the drug was given when it was created by the pharmaceutical company Merck. They named their 1mg formula specifically for hairloss Propecia.

If you buy 90 Proscar pills and cut them into 4s, divide that buy 12 and it costs about $17/month, in the US anyway. Considerably more expensive than generic 5mg finasteride pills, but alot cheaper still than buying Propecia.

Edited by ciaus